Burned Filter and Cage

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 03:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Burned Filter and Cage

Last week had a couple of spills. Carb got flooded and the bike was hard to start. Actually had to push start it. It wouldn't start with the magic button.
Must have back fired through the intake and started a small fire. Left a hole in the filter and a melted the air filter cage. Second time this has happened.
I try starting the bike with the throttle closed. Throttle open. Seems to just want some cranking to clear the gas. I never hear the carb backfire. But it must to start the fire.
Not a cheap fix. Bike has a Mikuni TM36 carb. Stock air box, except cover will additional holes.
Any suggestions on how to prevent? Does anyone make a metal cage that won't melt?

Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

That's kind of scary!
Is the backfire screen still intact?

Old 10-04-2016, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I would put a new plug in it, gap it! Something is making it backfire, which mine has never done.

If it is flooded. Don't pump the throttle, with your carb, start it with full throttle, if you give the starter a break, don't close the throttle, keep it wide open. Eventialy it will clear and start... usually.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Try the K&N filter. Probably cheaper than a new filter and Oem cage. Might be less likely to burn?

Old 10-05-2016, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. The backfire screen is still intact. I try not to twist the throttle more than I need to. Usually start by leaving the throttle closed. When that doesn't work, then open it all the way. If the bike was laying on it's side for a while, then no cranking will start it. Have to ride it down the hill and jump start it.
I looked for a K&N, but the website I searched didn't have one for the KLX. Was thinking it would be a better option than the foam filter. I'll keep searching.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Replacing the filter with something else is not the answer. set the carb up properly or it will just happen again.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
That's kind of scary!
Is the backfire screen still intact?
I knew there was some reason for that...

Of course I cut it out of mine...

Old 10-06-2016, 03:44 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I knew there was some reason for that...

Of course I cut it out of mine...
You notice it didn't keep the OP's filter/cage from damage. I think these things were designed for lawyers as much as real world fire insurance. After decades of having 4-stroke dirt bikes that I've removed the airbox screen from, I've never had one incident of burning or damaging a filter, cage, or airbox.

I've had my bikes upside down in a crash with fuel running out and still no issue. Hard starting from a crash?...yes...but no airbox fire and such.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
Replacing the filter with something else is not the answer. set the carb up properly or it will just happen again.
Agred. What's the solution?

Old 10-07-2016, 12:24 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Spitfire44
Agred. What's the solution?
I'm guessing zw is suggesting checking your carb setup as far as jetting and fuel level...or maybe something else.

I'll add that I have a similar setup as yours with the 36mm pumper and airbox lid modified for more air...backfire screen removed. Like I said, I've dumped mine upside down on some occasions with fuel running out of the carb and tank overflow. Took a good bit of cranking with the throttle slide wide open to refire, but it never has resulted in any filter or airbox flame.

This used to be more of an issue when we had points and/or adjustable timing, but our bikes have no such issue. I'm wondering about your valve clearance possibly if everything in your carb jetting and fuel level are good.

You mention this has happened twice even with the screen in place. Something isn't right.