KLX250S Home Page
and a little more carb
https://www.procycle.us/bikepages/klx250s.html
and a few carb parts
hope some of this helps and good luck

Old 02-06-2016, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Does fuel flow if you disconnect the fuel line from the carb? There are two filters IN the tank. See p/n 49019 and 49019A
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...8849#sch579804

Ride on
Brewster
Yes it does. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Finally had some time to work on this.

The throttle sensor is just a sensor, correct? No way that could be causing a lack of fuel/ I did realize it had been running, I hooked it up to a battery charger, and after that it wouldn't start. But, it was also cold...which supports the stuck float, I think.

Tapping didn't realize the float. Looks like I need to rip this baby down.

I'm guessing I need a Carb kit for the gaskets. Anything else?

Disconnect throttle cables, hoses, and the clamps on the hose and yank it out? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I can't make any sense of your post above..

You don't have a throttle sensor. EFI bikes have a throttle sensor and your bike is carb'd - right?

I assume you have good fuel flow coming outta the fuel line when it is disconnected from the carb. If so, then you know you're getting good fuel flow to the carb. Now if the carb won't fill its' bowl with fuel and allow the bike to start, then the needle/seat is stuck closed.

Last edited by Klxster; 02-07-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Sorry, I can't make any sense of your post above..
Sorry. I'll try again. I prob know enough to be dangerous, so excuse my ignorance.

I'm guessing the workings of the carb are entirely mechanical. The electrical connection is just for a sensor, correct? It doesn't do anything important for controlling fuel?

I took off the carb and the drain plug was clogged with a brownish residue. So that's why I couldn't drain the carb, although the float may or may not have been working. It seemed to be okay once I got it apart, but maybe it just came loose. But if not, dang. I thought for sure since it wasn't draining it was a stuck float.

I'm getting a spark, so it must be something with the fuel. It had been running fine, sat for a couple weeks on a battery charger, then wouldn't start. I have read these can be really hard to start, but it wasn't firing at all. I can't imagine I just needed to keep cranking.

Any other ideas? Maybe put the carb back on and try again. Or is there anything else I should check while I got it apart? I've heard the diaphragm can be tricky. Need to take another look and make sure I got that on right. Could that be the problem? Maybe the needle not sliding as freely as it should?

Thanks a ton for any ideas.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:24 AM
1st Gear Member

That residue sounds like old fuel varnish.. So, since you have it off, I would clean the pilot jet, needle jet, fuel screw, and while both are off the carb, I would run carb cleaner through every circuit, to verify that they are clear of clogs.. Those circuits would be the Main air jet to needle jet area - the pilot air jet to pilot jet area - pilot jet area to all 4 idle fuel orifices and transfer ports in the carb barrel - --- and any other circuits I can't think of at this moment - I'll add them as I think of them....

Old 02-07-2016, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, Don't even wet the seal under the butterfly valve return spring with carb cleaner or any other harsh cleaner - you could ruin that seal - causing a senario whereby your current work causes more problems than it fixes..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-07-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

If you let the bike sit that long, your gonna have to at least open up the carb drain for about 5 seconds of draining before you attempt a startup.. Modern ethanol blended gas just will not remain "viable" in a carb bowl that long..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-07-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks a ton KLXster. I went back to work before seeing your responses. I think I'm in good shape, the only thing I cleaned out with carb cleaner was the crap in the bottom of the bowl. That gasket isn't the one you were talking about, right?

I put it back together and it fired up. Maybe the fact that the gas in the bowl was old and I couldn't drain it since it was clogged was the problem. Not sure. Either way, zipped up and down the street and it feels great!

Now to fix the reaming probs:
Need a bolt on kickstand
Rip in seat...gets my leg wet (my son asked if the wet spot on my pants was because it was so much fun to ride)
Bent handlebar
Right signal doesn't work, left sometimes does
Kill switch sticks
Need to tighten the suspension.
Need larger tank.
Throttle feels tight

(suggestions/tips appreciated!)

But, at least the bike runs and I'm starting to like it. This is the one for my kids to ride, but I like the feel of it. Can't wait to try it in the dirt.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok, great !

I'd suggest fixing all those issues as fast as possible - before new ones show up..lol