black spring compared to red spring

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default black spring compared to red spring

I have a 2007 and the rear shock has a black spring. I was going to install a shock off of a 2009 sf model to lower the rear a little. It has a red spring. Anyone know what the differences are between the two springs?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:49 AM
1st Gear Member

One is red and the other is black....

Old 04-07-2015, 11:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure the red spring has a larger cross-section coils and therefore stiffer. You can check this with any old caliper measuring device.

The red spring may also be slightly short as the SF shock is about a quarter of an inch shorter overall, resulting in a one inch lower bike.

If you do change springs, let us know how it works out. I'd be interested.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, got the color difference right off, didn't even have to consult the manual
I'll grab some cowlippers and do some measuring. Not sure when I'll be doing the switch, been riding often and the bike is working pretty good right now.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oldad
I'm pretty sure the red spring has a larger cross-section coils and therefore stiffer. You can check this with any old caliper measuring device.

The red spring may also be slightly short as the SF shock is about a quarter of an inch shorter overall, resulting in a one inch lower bike.

If you do change springs, let us know how it works out. I'd be interested.
I don't think the length of the spring would change the ride height. The preload would change the ride height to some degree but you'd simply wind up cranking the lock rings down to where they met the spring. You're not changing the length or stroke of the shock, just the stiffness and length of the spring.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by taxonomy
I don't think the length of the spring would change the ride height. The preload would change the ride height to some degree but you'd simply wind up cranking the lock rings down to where they met the spring. You're not changing the length or stroke of the shock, just the stiffness and length of the spring.
Yes, I agree that the spring length would not necessarily change the ride height. Preload would have an affect and the length of the SF shock, as I said previously, will result in an inch less travel and an inch lower seat height, all other things being equal...............I think.

What do you expect the effect of a SF spring on a S shock to be? I'm curious.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oldad
Yes, I agree that the spring length would not necessarily change the ride height. Preload would have an affect and the length of the SF shock, as I said previously, will result in an inch less travel and an inch lower seat height, all other things being equal...............I think.

What do you expect the effect of a SF spring on a S shock to be? I'm curious.
The lock nuts would simply move lower, this would make up for the shorter spring length. Ride height and travel would only be altered if the preload collars bottomed out and the shaft slid into the shock body to make up for the shorter length.

So, the ride height would remain the same. Unless the springs bound in some way mechanically stopping travel stroke and overall travel would remain the same as well.

In a fork without preload adjusters the upper fork would ride lower on the lower slider portion and reduce travel and ride height as you suggest.

Substituting a shorter shock would reduce ride height and travel, if the shock had a shorter stroke.

There must be lowering links for this bike, which is the usual, if imperfect, way of reducing ride height.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I was planning on swapping the shocks to get a lower ride height and was wondering if the spring rates are different.
I have kouba links installed for about an inch lower ride, but with the sag set and the compression damping set where I like it, I bottom the tire against the fender once and a while off of some jumps and sharp G-outs.
My plan is to switch the shocks and put the stock links back on. Hoping to stop the bottoming out and keep the action about what it is now.
I've played with the comp clicker and made it better, but if I go enough clicks to stop the bottoming then the rest of the time it's a little too harsh.
I would also like to shorten the forks, but want to tackle one end at a time.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Oldad is referring to the entire shock assembly and taxonomy is just referring to the spring. So both of you are correct.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

If I remember correctly the SF Spring has a stiffer rate.

Quick Reply: black spring compared to red spring