Bike wont fire

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Bike wont fire

this morning my bike wouldnt start. I bump started it and i got about a block and then it died. I have spark, a half full tank tested both on and reserve and both pour gas out. I have compression bike lurches forward in gear. bypassed kickstand that didnt do anything. the float bowl is getting gas in it. I checked vent lines and gas cap to make sure no vapor lock or anything like that. all fuses are good as well. Do i tear open the carb and clean it? anything else you can think of that would keep the bike from starting?

Old 08-02-2014, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member

When you pulled the spark plug(you looked at that, right?) was it wet with gas? If it wasn't then a quick test to see if it's the carb would be to remove the boot from the air box to carb and spray a bit of carb cleaner into the carb throat while cranking. If it fires up then proceed with carb removal and find out what's causing the problem.
The engine needs 3 things to run-compression, fuel and spark. Find out what's missing...

Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM
1st Gear Member

yep, checked the plug and it wasnt wet. That led me to think carb is blocked up or something wrong with the fuel delivery

Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

just pulled the carb and the air box and cleaned everything. Still no luck

Old 08-03-2014, 11:45 PM
1st Gear Member

If it is not getting gas, it is the carb. Check the pilot jets & make sure the float is allowing gas to the bowl.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you try spraying some carb cleaner into the carb throat to see if it would fire up? That will eliminate ignition and mechanical as the source of your problem. Simple tests eliminate hours of wasted time.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:03 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Are you getting spark? Just lay another good plug against the head to ground it and attach the plug cap. Crank the engine to see if you have a spark. The idea of spraying a flammable liquid into the carb is also another good eliminator.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine did something similar last week. I found that my needle in the carb had broke where the clip was attached

Attached Thumbnails Bike wont fire-image.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mee2yoo
Mine did something similar last week. I found that my needle in the carb had broke where the clip was attached

Old 08-04-2014, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

i can confirm spark is good. compression is good. I tore down the carb and cleaned all the jets and made sure none of the circuits are clogged. Needle, slide floats all working properly. cleaned airbox, airfilter. checked all carb and smog vent lines and hoses. I also sprayed a shot of starter fluid into the intake boot and it wouldn't fire either. I rode the bike about 80 miles the night before it wouldnt start, 20 miles offroad. It ran for a block the next morning after i bump started it but havent had any luck since. Thanks for the help guys this is driving me crazy.

Last edited by Illking; 08-04-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Bike wont fire