Bike swallowed WHOLE

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM
Default Bike swallowed WHOLE

Hi everyone. New to the forum and forums in general. Thanks for having me. I recently had my 2012 KLX 250S slide into a very deep and gross mud hole. It literally covered my seat. I got the bike stopped quickly, but had a hell of a time pulling it out. It took on a lot of water. In everything. I immediately took the plug out and drained the fluids, but the whole crankcase/air box was full of gross silt and mud. Can I get away with "flushing" new oil with a few new filters?? The gentleman that rescued me had done that to an old '86 Big Wheel Yamaha. Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-22-2014, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Biggest ? is did it ingest any water into the engine. It would be pretty hard for it to enter the crankcase unless the bike was submerged for some time. If it sucked some water into the cylinder then you would need to pull the plug and try to flush out any crud. Rest of it is just washing out all of the muck and cleaning the filters.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:46 AM

It went into EVERYTHING. I found some more posts on here with some killer great info. Will follow some of that advice.
Thanks GBAUTO

Old 08-26-2014, 02:16 AM

Sorry I haven't replied. Had to go to work. I changed the oil and checked the exhaust, carb, intake system. Everything mechanically, looks ok. I noticed tonight that the gauge cluster is blank now (Doh!). Just couldn't get to everything prior to leaving for work. Any advice on replacing the gauge cluster???
Thanks

Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Disconnect it and stick it in a bag of rice for 2 weeks. It should work again.
Or get a Trail Tech Vapor.