Bike has not been road-ed for over a year - safety checklist before streeting it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Bike has not been road-ed for over a year - safety checklist before streeting it?

As the thread title states, I have not ridden my bike on the road for over a year now. Before plating the bike again and riding it this spring, I would like to give the bike a once over to make sure that it's in healthy condition to ride both from a maintenance and safety perspective. Is there a general guide that I could refer to to help me with this?

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Check the Oil, tires, chain, and brakes. Give the throttle a good twist to make sure it's not going to jam up on you either... not that it's all that scary on these bikes, but safety first!

Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

jhoffy! Where have you been? Hope things are well your direction.

pwjm hit the important bits.

Read this: Neduro's Spring Bike Maintenance and Setup Guide | Adventure Rider

Old 02-25-2016, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Everything?

Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd change the oil and filter - to get all the condensation out - then pull the plug, mist the combustion chamber with something oily (Marvel?), run the starter until oil pressure is achieved, put the plug back in and feel better about the first start-up..

Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

The owner's manual has a good pre ride checklist.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Tighten all the nuts and bolts. They do work loose on these bikes. I was lucky last year as one of the large hex bolts on my front brake calipers worked loose, but I heard it fall off.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't forget the carb! Depending on how you stored it may need a good cleaning, jets ect...Check, clean and re-oil air filter also. Tires still in good shape, no dry rot? Wheel bearings still got any grease, roll smoothly. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2016, 10:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Jhoffy,

It's been a while. How is the bike running?

Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pwjm
Check the Oil, tires, chain, and brakes. Give the throttle a good twist to make sure it's not going to jam up on you either... not that it's all that scary on these bikes, but safety first!
Good advice, thank you!

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
jhoffy! Where have you been? Hope things are well your direction.

pwjm hit the important bits.

Read this: Neduro's Spring Bike Maintenance and Setup Guide | Adventure Rider
Excellent resource. That guy is very thorough, which is exactly what I was looking for. I'll probably pick up a service manual from Cyclepedia and give the points he mentions a run through.

Originally Posted by toomanytoys84
Everything?
Yeah, I was wanting to go over the bike thoroughly. The problem is, I didn't really know what everything entailed.

Originally Posted by Klxster
I'd change the oil and filter - to get all the condensation out - then pull the plug, mist the combustion chamber with something oily (Marvel?), run the starter until oil pressure is achieved, put the plug back in and feel better about the first start-up..
Good idea. I have rode the bike in the past year though, just not off-road.

Originally Posted by marcham
The owner's manual has a good pre ride checklist.
I'll reference the owners manual too.

Originally Posted by old man
Tighten all the nuts and bolts. They do work loose on these bikes. I was lucky last year as one of the large hex bolts on my front brake calipers worked loose, but I heard it fall off.
I'll check the torque on the important stuff. thanks!

Originally Posted by ITHAPPENS
Don't forget the carb! Depending on how you stored it may need a good cleaning, jets ect...Check, clean and re-oil air filter also. Tires still in good shape, no dry rot? Wheel bearings still got any grease, roll smoothly. Good luck!
Definitely on my to-do list to thoroughly clean the carb and air filter.

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Hey Jhoffy,

It's been a while. How is the bike running?
The bike is running great! I really haven't rode it as much as I should, but it still runs great. Haven't had any issues in the years since I installed the BB351 kit. Still brings a smile to my face to rip on it.

I'm living in town now, and have only a 10 minute drive to work so I want to use my bike as the commuter.