Big Bore Time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool Big Bore Time!!!

I know I've talked about it quite a bit, and I've had my big bore kit for about a year now. Well.....last night I finally got started on it. I was painfully able to take my bike to a friend's garage, get everything lined up, and start with the basics. I got the side plastics off, the seat, gas tank (after a slight struggle), air filter for cleaning, carb and intake hose with lots of struggle. I removed the bolts from the exhaust, although it is stuck together so it's still attached. I'm waiting on another friend of mine to come back into town so I can use his bike stand, but I've got a question that's kinda holding me back a bit.

Is it easier to do this install while the engine is in the bike, or would it be easier to remove the engine from the frame?

I've still gotta look a little more into the torque specs, and make sure I've got the right jets in the new flat slide carb (I could use a little more clarification on that as well...) but other than that I'm good to go.

Any tips or tricks from people that have done this or any big bore kit on this bike would be appreciated. I'm gonna be up all night looking through the forums for specifics on tools, torque, instructions, and anything else I can find.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Average guy, in the bike... but clean the frame above and around the engine spotless so no crud can get in the engine.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Same. Average guy. Left motor in bike. Clean everything, read /watch everything you can, line up tools beforehand, and TAKE your time!

Inserting piston in cylinder was a bitch for me, but I didn't have the proper tool. Would have made life easier.

There are a few really detailed write ups here (army copter, etc) and I had those printed out and memorized lol

Watch bolts on cam cover. They are soft and really easy to snap when torquing, causing a unscheduled trip to a machine shop on Thanksgiving day, swearing the whole way there and back.
Don't ask how I know

Make sure you set rings correctly,

Old 11-07-2016, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Same. Average guy. Left motor in bike. Clean everything, read /watch everything you can, line up tools beforehand, and TAKE your time!

Inserting piston in cylinder was a bitch for me, but I didn't have the proper tool. Would have made life easier.

There are a few really detailed write ups here (army copter, etc) and I had those printed out and memorized lol

Watch bolts on cam cover. They are soft and really easy to snap when torquing, causing a unscheduled trip to a machine shop on Thanksgiving day, swearing the whole way there and back.
Don't ask how I know

Make sure you set rings correctly,
Speaking of setting the rings correctly - is the ring's relationship to the wrist pin important, or just to themselves?

Old 11-07-2016, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't post very often, but on here every day. One thing I noticed after my big bore install was the battery had a hard time turning the bike over to start. Got a new battery, better then stock and same thing. Just my experience.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Label all your bolts as you take them off. Put them in individual plastic bags and write where they came from on a post it and put inside. Makes things a WHOLE lot easier putting back together.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric B
Speaking of setting the rings correctly - is the ring's relationship to the wrist pin important, or just to themselves?
I'm definitely not an expert, but I believe just to themselves. Also they have to be in the proper order (can't remember offhand the order tho).

Maybe someone more in the know will chime in 😎

Old 11-07-2016, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
I don't post very often, but on here every day. One thing I noticed after my big bore install was the battery had a hard time turning the bike over to start. Got a new battery, better then stock and same thing. Just my experience.
I found the same, and the extra power it needed would drain the stock battery fast

I got a Earthx battery now , and it cranks like it's on steroids.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Label all your bolts as you take them off. Put them in individual plastic bags and write where they came from on a post it and put inside. Makes things a WHOLE lot easier putting back together.
And what hole the bolt came from! Some parts have 8 bolts of different lengths

Old 11-08-2016, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes Klx678, I know I've got quite a bit to clean up. I've bought several cans of degreaser, brake clean, and lots of shop towels in preparation for this.

Dash8, I've been through the good write-ups several times over (I have a few of them open in other tabs and browsers right now) as well as going through Mr DuhFactor's playlist on youtube when he did his big bore kit. Hopefully I don't have to make a Thanksgiving day run to a machine shop. As far as rings go, mine were already set on the piston when I picked it up, and if I remember correctly they need to be positioned to where the openings are spaced evenly apart around the circumference, yes?

2007 Green Machine, I bought a new battery last year when the Ballistic battery in it went bad. It's just a boring Everstart Powersport AGM from Walmart, but I haven't had any problems with it, even when the bike has sat for months without being on a trickle charger. Question for you, when you did your big bore kit did you leave the KACR connected? I know disconnecting it while it's still a 250 seemed to make it start easier for others, but I'm not sure if it would be the same way with the 351.

outrecording, I have been making very detailed sketches and notes when I take these things apart now. I usually have a camera that I devote solely to one project and take pictures of everything, then go through them backwards to reassemble, but I forgot it when I started so I'm going old school. I also have a GIANT drip pan (like a cookie sheet but bigger) that I have been laying parts and pieces on very meticulously. Had issues when I had to replace my shift star so I'm very careful now.

Back to Dash8, I'll definitely keep a EarthX battery in mind if this AGM one starts cranking slow....also contemplating a kick-starter for fun.

CONTINUED: So far I've had to make a store run to get the proper sized tool to remove the head bolts. I couldn't find what size it was online, so I got there and had to stop. Made it to Lowe's before they closed today and picked up a 8mm Hex with a 3/8" drive attachment so I can just hook it up to my torque wrench to bust them loose.

Still haven't been able to find torque specs for head bolts or cam girdle bolts though. Help?

Quick Reply: Big Bore Time!!!