Big Als Blog

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

On any project parts add up really fast. Doesn't sound like a bad deal. I'll look him up when I'm ready to do mine.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Absolutely, I'm a mechanic so I have the tools and skill set to take on a project like this but on the flip side this still would have been a learning experience for me. I would have loved to do it myself but to be honest the price vs results the first go around are worth it. I didn't want to trial and error anything, I just want to ride!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
I paid 647 for everything. I was hesitant at first but after adding up seals, bushings, Racetech Gold Valves, oil and my time I figured I'll let the professionals handle it. Plus this guy came with stellar reviews from a buddy of mine, so I was sold. You can Google his company and find stuff on forums but his web site is less then groovy and you can't even find the company on Google maps. But he's there, all word of mouth since 1998. Hope that helps!
I just had mine done for $600 too. I dropped off the bike and had him do it. He even removed and replaced the fork and shock. It was totally worth it. I figure it was a $350 premium over parts alone. Maybe even less. Just for the peace of mine having a professional do it is worth it, if you have the money. He even fixed up a wonky brake line routing I have had since converting to stainless lines and he lubed all the bearings too. The bike needed that refresh.

I used C-Cycle in CT. Very nice guy, restores a lot of vintage stuff, makes his own parts if needs be. He's really up to date on modern suspensions too. He's super easy to work with.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet, I didn't know if 600ish bucks was the going rate in the Bay Area or just normal for any where. Like you said, half of it is parts just about so 600 or so seems reasonable in the end. A few guys quoted me 200-300 bucks and didn't seem to confident on the phone. If you want professional results you have to pay the professional price!

How many miles are on your 351? I think a 331 or 351 will be my next big purchase.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Ordered a Cylclops LED conversion a few weeks ago and I finally had time to go for a 30 minute night ride. I got the H4 3,800 lumin kit with low/high beam. First off the kit quality was pretty good. A lot of care went into packaging the kit, the box was wrapped in paper then had a rubber band around it, then the instructions and receipt was carefully laid out and then all organized in a nice little box before being shipped. I figured the way it was packaged was no accident considering the 140 something page thread on ADV Rider that the company has been meticulously involved in. I've been hesitant to install a kit like this thinking the factory halogen reflector wouldn't work out well for dispersing the LED light into a good pattern. Over on ADV there has been a ton of great feed back about the product and someone, I assume the owner of Cyclops, has been very active on the forum giving suggestions for best results and getting a lot of great feed back to improve the product. After thumbing through all the pages I decided it was worth a shot, so I ordered up the kit, Oh, and if anyone is interested in ordering the kit there is a coupon code on ADV so check it out. Or I can check my receipt later and post it up. I think I ended up paying 65 bucks or so shipped. Not shabby.

The kit.

The bulb, the other side also has two more LED's.

Built in cooling fan. Even with the boot squished on there the fan has plenty of air flow around it.

Not exactly sure what this does but maybe its for the high low beam control.

Good ol' familiar plug.

I knew I had to modify the dust boot so I got a spare pigtail off from the part out.

Took apart the bulb and got this to fit nicely.

Yes the bulb has an up and down, originally the way I routed everything I left the pig tail up. THAT IS INCORRECT! I popped the bulb out, flipped it 180 so the wire is at the bottom and everything was groovy after that.

First power up.

This was about 30 minutes after sunset, it wasn't completely dark and I do realize I live in the city so take this with a grain of salt. Also, the camera I used was my smart phone so this is VERY subjective.

Low beam.

High beam.

The pattern was pretty good up in the hills but I think I can fine tune it better. The light is definitely very bright and the color is decent. I will admit the halogen pattern is more full or has less shadowy areas. Overall I'm pretty satisfied.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I like that its a whole lots better than the stock flashlight. I wouldn't even call it a flashlight, more like a candle. I've been considering going with led lighting and 65 bucks for a much better vision not a bad deal.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you tried adjusting your headlight while sitting on the bike? I got my factory one dialed in pretty nicely, I also ran the Silverstar Ultra halogen bulb. I was very happy with the results. One reason I went with LED was to save watts.

I'm thinking of getting some LED flood lights or one of those mini light bars eventually.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Finally put my new grips on, again...seems like I'm always doing grips. I guess the sun just bakes them and they get super sticky and gross...so I'll give these a try...

Gross...

I clean the bars and then glue the grips on with Pro Taper glue, works like a charm every time!

Mo betta then...

I also had a new water proof box sitting around that I decided to mount to my new rear rack. I threw a pair of little locks on it so now I've got a little semi secure spot to stash stuff when I'm away from the bike. Its got a foam kit inside that I might trim for my DSLR, luckily it wasn't glued in there so I can easily switch it up if needed.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
Took apart the bulb and got this to fit nicely.

Great job getting the boot to seal! I just cut a slit up from the pigtail, so mine isn't perfect (like yours!)

Old 09-24-2015, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks! Luckily I haven't seen anything mysterious getting into the lens but I also haven't hit any dirt yet and sadly California is in a really terrible drought so I haven't even washed my bike or seen rain yet!

Quick Reply: Big Als Blog