Big Als Blog

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, is there an effective way to check the fuel level with out ordering some dorky tool or should I just buy the damn tool? If so which tool is good?

Thanks

Old 08-28-2014, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I can't help ya with the float level as I haven't had to do-up mine.. The slight bog every now and then is expected and cured by raising the needle back up - AFR will peak above 15:1 though from 3.5k to 6.5k RPM @ WOT and TRQ will suffer a .5 to 1 LB FT loss.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I think TNC pointed out once that if you put a transparent hose on your drain (on bottom of carb) curl it up beside the carb, then open the drain screw, the hose will fill up to the level of the gas in the carburetor float bowl.

Kind of like how the Brat bike guys put fittings in the side of a gas tank and run a clear line between them to see how much gas is in their tank.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I think TNC pointed out once that if you put a transparent hose on your drain (on bottom of carb) curl it up beside the carb, then open the drain screw, the hose will fill up to the level of the gas in the carburetor float bowl.

Kind of like how the Brat bike guys put fittings in the side of a gas tank and run a clear line between them to see how much gas is in their tank.
****ing genius. I feel like a moron for not even thinking of that. I'll check the FSM after work and try it before I go home, I'll report back.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Well what do you guys think? I think the float level is way to high. Any thoughts?

Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

It was bothering me that I did it with the carb in the bike not removed like the FSM suggests so I lifted the front of the bike to level out the bowl and try it again. Much lower but maybe still to high?

Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Having logged a good chunk of miles over the summer, many of which were highway, I've decided to follow through with minimalist touring the KLX on a few epic trips.

I'm thinking of adding a big bore in the next month or so, 15T sprocket and some luggage solutions.

I'm leaning towards a Giant Loop Coyote bag and adding front pannier bags from Wolfman, I already use the Wolfman Enduro bag and love it. I like the idea of not needing any racks and having the option to easily remove everything to hit trails or convert for normal city use.

My other idea was get crazy and add a rear rack on top of the tail area and make custom brackets to fit plastic Pelican cases or those aluminum Tusk panniers on the sides. I like the idea of being able to lock up stuff but realistically I'm not sure it's worth the weight on such a small bike, plus taking it off would be annoying.

As for gear I plan on going pretty light. My back packing pack is no more than 35-40 pounds for food, water, shelter, extra clothes and so on. I bet I could keep it around 60ish pounds including a few tools, tire repair stuff and so on???

I got motivated going through my gear and thought I'd share my new toy. I had some REI dividends plus two gift cards starring at me so I picked up a ENO Junglenest and some Atlas Straps. I've been messing around with it and love it. I originally bought a ENO Singlenest and loved it. But having to set up a separate bug net bugged me (pun intended) and also having all that extra fabric hanging below was annoying. So I exchanged it for the Junglenest which the net is integrated into. I just wish the Junglenest was made from the same fabric like the Singlenest was made from, the quality is great on both and I won't bore you with specs but if anyone is interested you can look it up on the interwebs. I will say swap the cordage out for 550. The crap they included for the ridge line is so stiff you can't tie it. Hell, a prusik knot won't even work properly with that crap it's so stiff. Well what's a long rambling post that's not even pertinent to motorcycles with out some pictures so what the hell, here goes nothin.

That's how big the Junglenest with integrated bug net and two Atlas Straps is, oh I've got about 50 feet of 550 in there too.

I'm holding the Atlas Straps, you can see the hammock packs really small with out them.

Crappy *** cordage.

You can see the Atlas Straps have hoops so you can fine tune your hang in a breeze. I'm two for two on puns tonight!

No see um mesh.

A zippered entrance runs the entire length making getting in/out a cinche. They have two zippers so you can fine tune where the opening and closing points are, also the pulls on the inside glow in the dark.

Each end of the hammock has these aluminum carabiners. In this end I put a prusik knot and red shrink tube to indicate I sleep with my head that direction. That way when I set it up I know which side the zipper faces. It's great, you just clip one end and feed it out and clip the other, hammock never touches the ground. No mud or rain to worry about.

Hell yeah I took it for a test drive. If you loosen it up a bit and lay diagonally your damn near flat. Should be pretty decent even for side sleepers like myself.

I'll post up a few more pics after my silnylon Warbonnet rain fly comes in. Until then I'm going to find tune this set up.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice Eno. Those things rock.
As to the Wolfmann Tank Panniers, they are hard to get in the right place if you place your knee anywhere near the hole in the front plastic. I use them mostly empty. When I have to fill them at the grocery store, I have to ride with my knees outside the bags. That's fine for short term riding, not so good long term.
That being said, I rarely take them off the bike. They are handy. They would carry the Eno perfectly.
I've been thinking of modifying the mounting system to move them forward more...
And go for the biggest Giant Loop bag you can afford. Hard panniers suck if you find yourself off-road.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the heads up. I sit really far forward and I noticed the tops of my legs/knees are level with the bottom of the opening. I'm about 5'11 and a skinny bastard so I have ok real estate on the Kawi but it's no touring bike.

The Giant Loop Buck'n Roll ones look legit but they don't offer much storage and at 235 MSRP I'm thinking that's half a big bore right there. Honestly I don't think I need the front storage to much but distributing the weight seems like a good idea. I'm sure the tail sub frame is decent but I figure every pound I can save near the tail light is that much less strain back there. I think the Coyote or similar type bag is a great compromise for space and weight distribution, I'll spend 200-300 on the Coyote bag any day vs the BNR set up.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm a little shorter and skinnier probably, but also sit far forward (mostly to keep the head shake under control at speed ) and I would say I can only use about half of the bag before some concessions have to be made. I've found a 32oz plastic bottle makes a great knee warmer/windbreaker and crash protector...
Like I said, they are great for stashing soft items like the Eno or a vest and hat. I use them mostly to carry mail and to stash my gloves and balaclava(when it's cold) when I'm off the bike.
I still love the bags and my Enduro Tank Bag, tough as nails.
The Buck'n'Roll is cool but pricey for the storage volume...
A Coyote and the small Enduro is the way to go I think.

Quick Reply: Big Als Blog