Big Als Blog

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by peabrain
Fixes like a boss
Until I snap it off from sitting on my bike with the stand down...whoops...

Old 07-26-2016, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

that is just an excuse to break out a 6 pack and the welder

Old 07-31-2016, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

What kind of wear is normal for the KACR? Took my valve cover off today to check the valves and saw this. Doesn't really concern me and I knew nothing of it but it seems a bit excessive for being shy of 20k miles. Makes me wonder if it'll wear out, lol. You can SLIGHTLY feel it with your thumb nail. I know the picture sucks major ***** but it's that ring below the cam lobe.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I disabled mine, no need for it with the electric start. I spun the engine and started it last winter in 8 degrees F. I actually hard wired the shoes out to disengage the release. Next time it's apart I will have the whole assembly pressed out. Some just remove the spring, which works, but I didn't want the parts to move unnecessarily. Oddly enough standard coat hanger wire works great, malleable enough to not crack and possibly break. There is a small section on it in the MCM document in my signature.

No other 250 electric start bike I know of uses the compression release, including the old 250 ATC/TRX Hondas, nor the new 250 Yamaha and Honda. They had them on kick start, but not on electric start.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member

The KACR is not a ring underneath a cam lobe. And your pic doesn't suk cause I see an image of Mother Teresa in it..and Casper.. and Richard Nixon!

Nonetheless, pull the spring off it and it will certainly not "wear" any more..

Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought I saw Jesus again but that was only on my burned toast this morning. Not sure why the KACR is on there. Hell, you crank it over with a socket and ratchet and its a joke. I find it hard to believe its needed. Maybe I'll take it out next time I'm in there, I already slapped it all back together so I can go to work tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I disabled the ACR last night and my bike still makes a funny noise. Its a knocking type noise that can be felt in the pegs and handle bars. The bike runs great and I pulled the plug and used a 1/4 drive extension to check for connecting rod play also. While not scientific I can't detect any play so I'm guessing my piston is scored or something of the like. I just find it odd that the bucket under the cam lobe is getting worn from the ACR contacting it, maybe things will make more sense when I tear it down. I guess my bike doesn't like its new commute. 40 miles each way with a 1,808 foot elevation gain in ten miles at 65 mph+, then all freeway afterwards. Apparently 8-9k rpms pinned each way isn't good, haha. I test road a few 650 GS bmws but just didn't care to much for them, the Kawi just rocks in general. Hopefully the piston is jacked up and I can fix it with a big bore, gear it more for highway and possibly take it a bit easier until I find a bigger bike I'll enjoy. Oh joy...

Old 08-22-2016, 05:15 PM
Default im new here

how do i post my own thread i want to ask a question

Old 08-22-2016, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Scroll down on the main page where you found this thread along with all the others and there is a tab at the bottom that says "new thread". Click that, add a subject or title then add your message, "submit" when satisfied and wait for fish to bite.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I pulled the head and jug last night and found nothing. Not sure what's making a knocking that can be felt in the pegs. I had mixed feelings about pulling the top end apart. It runs great and knowing these bikes are pretty solid I didn't expect to find much. Then again, considering how hard I run the bike I guess anything is possible. Next step...stator or clutch? Not sure...but highly annoying to say the least.

Quick Reply: Big Als Blog