Best tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I currently run trackmasters because I wanted DOT. Not really happy with them, off road the front does not like to climb out of ruts. On the road they seems very sensitive to pressure. I will be going back to the Dunlop 952 which are not DOT but work great on and offroad. I have had them up to 80 mph on pavement they feel sucure while the trackmasters like to do a little weave at speed on pavement. 952 also are cheap for dunlops and wear well.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been thinking of trying the trials tire MT43 for the rear.
Not sure what to do for the front, other than the D606 I'm completely familiar with.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

So how does everyone like the d606 front? Many say they suck, many say they rock

Old 10-01-2014, 04:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I tried a few other tires before going with the 606. They felt familiar when I rode them. They let you know traction is about to go, before it does. They can bite on the side ***** and climb out of a rut, at trail pressure.
I rail mine through corners on the road at trail pressure.
I usually get 4-6,000 mile from a front, more if I pay attention to air pressure when I'm on the road.
They are better enough to me to justify the expense.
Try it. You'll either like it, or not. LOL

Old 10-03-2014, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I was at the dealer today getting the bike inspected and I asked him what the stock dunlops are rated at. He said they about a 70/30 off road tire. My tread is getting pretty low in the middle and i was looking at the kenda 270 for both. Would they be a upgrade from the stock tire a little better block and grooving setup for dirt and gravel?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
I was at the dealer today getting the bike inspected and I asked him what the stock dunlops are rated at. He said they about a 70/30 off road tire. My tread is getting pretty low in the middle and i was looking at the kenda 270 for both. Would they be a upgrade from the stock tire a little better block and grooving setup for dirt and gravel?
My issue with the 270s, is that the outside ***** are too tall compared to the similar shinko 244, basically if you lean AT ALL on the street, its like running on these guys (especially on the front tire)

AKA Squirmy as hell.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
I've been thinking of trying the trials tire MT43 for the rear.
Not sure what to do for the front, other than the D606 I'm completely familiar with.
I installed the MT43 last season. Rides in desert very well and grips like crazy going uphill. Not so good on downhills - slides very easily. Not sure I like the great traction when turning cause it just won't break loose making it somewhat unpredictable (on dirt). Rides very nicely on the street. I run Kenda Desert Trail on front during riding season, an IRC GP-1 on front in summer.

You'll want to use 2 rimlocks on this beast so you can run it a low psi. And it is a beast... tall profile and difficult to mount.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm, thanks for that perspective on the MT43. I like being able to break grip every once in a while...except on downhills.
Maybe I'll pick up the Tubliss for the rear(finally) and try the MT43 front and rear, in the spring. It's too close to studded tire season to go through the trouble of changing tires twice in the next few weeks/months.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma660
i was looking at the kenda 270 for both. Would they be a upgrade from the stock tire a little better block and grooving setup for dirt and gravel?
I would not recommend the 270 front if you ride in the dirt. I like the rear 270 better than a Trakmaster, but the 270 front washed out on me like crazy in the dirt. I tried it 3 times over a few years thinking maybe it was me, but each time I pulled it off after crashing where I shouldn't have.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

what id the difference between a 4.6 and a 120/80 tire?

Quick Reply: Best tires ?