Best tires ?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by robemac
Hey people -

What are the best tires for say 70% road, 30 % slick trails/mud ? A durable but cheap and long wearing set - any ideas ?

Rob
You almost said it - DURO. I've run Duros now in virtually every condition from Ohio clay to Michigan sand and the winding pavement of the Appalachian foothill and roads. Over 30,000 miles using them and the only tire I will ever replace them with would be a full on knobby if I needed a full on off road tire or a radial road tire for 100% on road. I've ridden with an Aprilia SVX550SM and an XR650R supermoto'd hanging with them in the turns without much effort (of course my friend on the Aprilia could have left me any time - good rider). I used to lead the sport bike riding buddies on road rides with my KLX650 - they figured I could deal with crappy corners and they'd see it before they got there - when I was running Avon Gripsters (junk off road). The Duros work better than the Gripsters on road.

Suffice it to say after the first set I was sold and will pay the little extra they cost over the cheapest Kendas or Shinkos - maybe $30 or so, but worth it. They work on par with any of them off road as I have learned following friends, but on road they kick butt and don't take names.

I have over 30,000 miles riding them on my 650, put a set on the 250 when I got it. The 650 had no problems with mud and clay I've been in and the 250 had no problem with sand - at least with the tires. Not so good steering in that deep crap, but that ain't the tires' fault.

They usually last around 4000 miles before I replace them, with tread still on them - traction on dirt/gravel and the flat center is when I replace them. I do both because the front is cupped enough I figure why not!

Last edited by klx678; 09-24-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I read that, not a knobby.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I've worn the ***** off a few Kenda 760 trakmaster 2 rear tires, and I'll happily buy 'em again. Never tried the front, but have heard some grumblings about them there.
The current D606 I have on the front sticks well to rock and dirt surfaces but is pretty sad in oozy mud. But....what does work there anyway?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Im upgrading tires soon as well. What's the best tire for wet, rocky, rooty terrain??? Pacific North west stuff. Anyone run a mt43 rear?? I hear they are great in above said conditions, but wear quick and suck on wet dirt and mud?? Cheers

Old 09-25-2014, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I stopped by the MC shop. They are still running the Sedona in the desert/rocks... so I think I'll stay with that. I think I got pretty good wear out of the last one. It was a 120/90-18, I had to cut some of the chain guard off.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MattyTracks
Im upgrading tires soon as well. What's the best tire for wet, rocky, rooty terrain??? Pacific North west stuff. Anyone run a mt43 rear?? I hear they are great in above said conditions, but wear quick and suck on wet dirt and mud?? Cheers
I haven't tried the mt43 but did 3 rides on the Michelin X trials tire on the rear of my DRZ and NEVER AGAIN!. The bike felt like there was a hinge in the middle with the rear end swaying from side to side (on-road and off)and I aired up to 22# to get rid of this weird sway....to no avail. Tire came back off after I could actually see the sway on the GoPro footage

Old 09-26-2014, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Angier
I've worn the ***** off a few Kenda 760 trakmaster 2 rear tires, and I'll happily buy 'em again. Never tried the front, but have heard some grumblings about them there.
The current D606 I have on the front sticks well to rock and dirt surfaces but is pretty sad in oozy mud. But....what does work there anyway?
I have used the Dunlops, Michelins and the TMII's. I ride in the 'mountains' of N. GA with some pavement sections added in. I like the TMII's on both ends, haven't had any real issues with the front until it's almost worn out and they will rail on pavement. The real clincher for me is that they are about $100/set so if you put some miles on the bike they are hard to beat for cost vs. performance.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I put on a set of Shink 244 "Golden Boys" - so far so good. Smooth on the highway, lots of traction asphalt and dirt/clay...pretty inexpensive also.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Angier
I haven't tried the mt43 but did 3 rides on the Michelin X trials tire on the rear of my DRZ and NEVER AGAIN!. The bike felt like there was a hinge in the middle with the rear end swaying from side to side (on-road and off)and I aired up to 22# to get rid of this weird sway....to no avail. Tire came back off after I could actually see the sway on the GoPro footage
The MT43's seem to get really good reviews. My buddy with a WR250R just ordered one for the rear of his bike. The trails around here (Blue Mountain/McNutt) are mostly tight, technical single track with lots of wet rocks and roots and some mud. Most of the serious riders here swear by the MT43, running at 10PSI or lower. They seem to run an MT43 on the rear, but a knobby on the front. They say the MT43 isn't as good as a knobby in the sticky, thick mud, but pretty close.

I'll wait until my friend does a few rides with his on, and then decide if I want to try it, based on his results. I'm less concerned with street longevity (although the MT43's are supposed to last pretty long), since I only have a 10 minute ride from my house to the trails - although my friend rides 30-40 minutes to get to the trail, so we'll see how his MT43 lasts.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Kenda K270

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best tires ?