Best Tires for 30%/70% Street/Dirt Use...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Best Tires for 30%/70% Street/Dirt Use...

Looking to replace the stockers soon-- front seems like it may be OK design wise, rear is really slick in the dirt, in the grass, pretty much everywhere but the pavement.

I bought my 2009 model a couple months ago with 1200 miles on it, apparently still has the original tires-- not sure how much of the slickness is due to treadwear and how much is due to dryness/ hardness of the rubber. The center of the rear tire looks pretty darn flat.

Any concensus on best price/performance DOT approved tires for 30/70 riding?

Old 06-12-2016, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I used to run Shinko 244s, but switched to the much more expensive Dunlop D606s. Lots don't like the front 606, but I like it.
The 606s are much better in the dirt (IMO) and I can chase sport bikes through the twisties no problem (once you get used to the **** squirm).
My riding consists of boulder strewn trails, dirt, sand, and lots of steep ups and downs consisting of all the previous conditions mentioned.

Many other choices, folks will chime in.

I've even had success running Shinko 705s(an 80/20) in the dirt as long as the mud sections are short, and they rail turns on pavement.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I doubt you will find consensus. Everyone has differing ones due to riding conditions and preferences, whether cost or cosmetic.

Now my opinion:

I've ridden Duro Median 903/904 dual sport tires for about 15 years and around 40,000 miles now.

Front is 903, rear is 904:

I had been running Avon Gripsters (should be Slipsters) and found them to be bad off road - not to mention rather expensive. I was laid off an needed bike tires, but couldn't afford $200 for a set. Glossing through the catalogs while working part time at a bike dealership I had looked at about everything. It came down to two tires, Duro Median and IRC GP110 both were an unknown. I had used Yokohamas with the same tread as the popular Kenda and Shinko tires, but didn't like it that well. Took the leap and bought the Duros which ran around $120 for the set.

I've never looked back or switched. Why bother when something works. They did the job well on the 650 lacking nothing for a dual sport tire on or off road. Obviously knobbies can do better for off road, but it was on road and DOT that came into play too. The Duros stuck like glue on the road when riding with sport bike and supermoto riding friends.

With the 250 I took a page for tire sizing, from back when I ran a 125 MX bike. I learned back then that a bike can have too much rear tire for power given. Sure a rider could run a 5.10 or 4.50 knobby on a 125, but performance would suffer due to bogging when in soft stuff - too much traction - and power required to carry and rotate the extra weight. I went to a 4.10-18 on the back and the 90/90-21 on the front. I'd probably try an 80/100-21 if they made it. I've been in some deep sand and found the 4.10 did what I wanted, got drive without bogging too much - you can spin it up a bit to avoid abusing the clutch. It can get down through soft stuff and find grip while not bogging down much in the process, kind of like mud buggy wheels.

I certainly don't mind the look either, lighter looking more like an MX bike. I'm more about function than looks and fat tires often don't function. Bigger isn't always better.

Then there was the side benefits that come with the smaller tire, number one being 1/3 the cost of the 120/80. So I can get three to two on tire wear, making it more tolerable to replace the worn out tire sooner. Both 90/90-21 and 4.10-18 are around $55, the wider 120/80-18 runs upward of $70-75. On the 650 I get 4000 miles a set before the center of the rear tire is flat and has noticeable traction issues - I don't run them till they're bald. Not worth it when a new set can be had for around $100.

The thing you can't easily see in the pictures above is the tread design, Heidenau is now using a similar one.

This image looks more like the front tire, but still the tread depth across the carcass is full depth like a knobby, but there is a web between the ***** side to side for **** stability, probably part of the good cornering behavior on the road. This gives a sort of paddle effect to the tread, a good design for sand and mud. Also no continuous circumferencial grooving with the staggered block tread. THAT was what impressed me the most with my first set. From there it was purely performance that impressed me. No more "Slipster".

So there is a bit of a review with experience on the Duro Median tires.

Side note edit:
I don't do tires like the 606 because of my brother's experience. DOT knobby great tire for a lot of off roading, but mostly gone in 1000 miles if much street riding is done. A lot of money to burn on pavement. I didn't need to try a set to see that it would be costly for my use. Definitely think it out if going DOT knobbies. If that 30% is time figure you're going at least 3 times as far based on speed, 10 off road hours versus 10 on road could be 150 miles versus up to 500 miles, so it isn't hard to destroy a set of knobbies fairly fast. That is my consideration, I rode back and forth to work doing about 12-20 miles a day (long way home) plus errands. Not worth it in my case.

Last edited by klx678; 06-12-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Klx678, thos look like a nice option. Those blocks look good for pavement, not so much squirm I assume. Are they round or do they bounce a lot over 60mph?

Old 06-13-2016, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

No problems on either bike... around 80 on the 250 when it was geared 15/39 and near 100 on the 650. Lots of 65-75 on the 650. I balanced the 650, but not the 250.

For the cost try them. I lucked out back in 01, buying without knowing. Now I can buy whatever I want, but why mess with success.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Kenda K270 rear (use the 4.50 - 18 size) and any aggressive front you like.
All Kenda MX fronts are DOT and will last.
Not a huge fan of the Trakmasters, though some are.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm a huge fan of my tires, Pirelli Scorpion MT 90/AT. They handle great on the street and in the dirt. A couple weeks ago I was doing single track with a friend and was able to keep up with him the entire time.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

^^^ I'm running the same.. Great Tire.. I have 3k and almost no wear..
But they are $$$

Old 06-14-2016, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Im leaning towards the Kendas suggested by Woof. I like the look, price aint so bad either.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I put some kenda's on my bmw supermoto, they did not work out. Mine were not round and the bike just jumped around all the time. Probably ok for dirt work, but on the hywy, I had to take them off after a couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: Best Tires for 30%/70% Street/Dirt Use...