Best plus size gas tank for 2006-2007 KLX 250s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Best plus size gas tank for 2006-2007 KLX 250s?

As I understand, the Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank is a popular choice for those with a 06-07 KLX 250. I like that the Acerbis has a large fuel capacity and includes new petcocks and lines since I'm in need of both. I don't like that it negates the stock shrouds and that you cannot get the fuel out of the wings without a little shake or modding the tank.

I like the Clarke and IMS tanks, even though they are a little bit pricier. But I have yet to find in my searching anyone using those tanks with an 06-07 KLX 250.

Do the Clarke and IMS tanks fit the 06-07 with minimal modification?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2016, 03:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a Clarke on my 07 before it was stolen. It doesn't add that much range, and the shrouds didn't line up as well as they do on the stock tank, but otherwise it was OK.

I have the stock tank on my new 06 and will probably just carry an extra fuel bottle strapped to the rack if I think I will need it.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the Acerbis on my 07 and it fit and works just fine. I haven't yet run it down to just fuel in the wings, so not sure how much trouble it will be to get all the fuel out. I'd imagine bouncing around on the trail will shake a bunch around.
What's the mod? A cross hose under the frame?

Old 03-11-2016, 07:45 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you're a rider who will go to some of the more remote areas to ride with no hope of fuel availability for some decent distance, there's nothing to take the place of the 3.7 Acerbis. Toting fuel bottles or sweating out one's mileage as the odometer clicks off adds no pleasure to what might have been a great day's adventure. If one does not have to be concerned with walking out of the boondocks or spending a cold night in the wilderness because of lack of fuel, then it's just not necessary. I do several trips a year to places all over the western U.S., and the Acerbis has given me a lot of peace toward the end of long day's riding where in some cases I didn't see another soul. I never ran out of gas...and that's the point.

Jhoffy, on the unavailable fuel in the wings, the worst case scenario after a deep sideways shake to each side after it sputters on reserve, I measured right at .2 of a gallon that I couldn't get. Not bad at all. I did this in a test on one of our posts here long ago. With more aggressive leaning in a worst case scenario, I think you can get just about all the fuel out of those wings into that main sump. That would still cut some miles off of your hike...LOL!

On durability, my tank has been on my '06 since '07. I've crashed, dropped, and ground both sides of this bike into the ground so many times. The tank still looks great, amazingly, and that's more than you can say compared to the many who are frequently asking about replacement OEM wings/shrouds.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
If you're a rider who will go to some of the more remote areas to ride with no hope of fuel availability for some decent distance, there's nothing to take the place of the 3.7 Acerbis. Toting fuel bottles or sweating out one's mileage as the odometer clicks off adds no pleasure to what might have been a great day's adventure. If one does not have to be concerned with walking out of the boondocks or spending a cold night in the wilderness because of lack of fuel, then it's just not necessary. I do several trips a year to places all over the western U.S., and the Acerbis has given me a lot of peace toward the end of long day's riding where in some cases I didn't see another soul. I never ran out of gas...and that's the point.

Jhoffy, on the unavailable fuel in the wings, the worst case scenario after a deep sideways shake to each side after it sputters on reserve, I measured right at .2 of a gallon that I couldn't get. Not bad at all. I did this in a test on one of our posts here long ago. With more aggressive leaning in a worst case scenario, I think you can get just about all the fuel out of those wings into that main sump. That would still cut some miles off of your hike...LOL!

On durability, my tank has been on my '06 since '07. I've crashed, dropped, and ground both sides of this bike into the ground so many times. The tank still looks great, amazingly, and that's more than you can say compared to the many who are frequently asking about replacement OEM wings/shrouds.
Great reply. It wouldn't be the first bike that you shake around to be able to use more fuel.

If you still need more range then strap something like this on.
Our Tanks ? Nomad Fuel Tanks

I'll be looking at getting the 5.5 litre or 7.5 litre once I start doing longer trips into the unknown.

Last edited by Bluezr7; 03-11-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2016, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Acerbis tank will be a drop in fit for the 06 - 07 years 09 and up their's a little gap between the seat tank and frame. Not that it matters to most they just want gas. If you want maximum fuel available Acerbis is the way to go. If you don't need the range or you don't mind carrying fuel bottles or a flatpack gas can and you like the looks of the shrouds IMS makes a good tank. Which is what I have on my 12 model. I had the same dilemma as you and in the end the stock look just kinda won out. That and the fact that their's not another bike part sitting on a shelf in my garage.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:14 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxnoobie
Acerbis tank will be a drop in fit for the 06 - 07 years 09 and up their's a little gap between the seat tank and frame. Not that it matters to most they just want gas. If you want maximum fuel available Acerbis is the way to go. If you don't need the range or you don't mind carrying fuel bottles or a flatpack gas can and you like the looks of the shrouds IMS makes a good tank. Which is what I have on my 12 model. I had the same dilemma as you and in the end the stock look just kinda won out. That and the fact that their's not another bike part sitting on a shelf in my garage.
So just to confirm, the IMS is also a drop in fit for the 06-07 KLX 250s as well? I don't really need the extra range.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I have the clark and im very pleased with it.
Name:  3412077.jpg
Views: 3736
Size:  175.4 KB

Name:  P1010540.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  62.9 KB

Old 03-14-2016, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I have the clark and im very pleased with it.
Looks like it fits pretty seamlessly. Was there any modification necessary to get it to fit?

Old 03-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Nope. Unbolt stock tank, bolt in Clarke. My range is decreased anyway because of the 351 kit. Ive never actually ran it to reserve since the bigger tank and jug. Since i got the KLR the KLX is my woods bike.

Quick Reply: Best plus size gas tank for 2006-2007 KLX 250s?