BerryMan B12 Chemtool

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default BerryMan B12 Chemtool

I put some Berryman B12 Chemtool in the KLX today.

Having before used SeaFoam to store the bike over winter, and occasionally using STAbil added to regular gasoline.

B12 is suppose to clean everything in the fuel system, and carb, and is safe to use on 2 stoke 4 stroke and marine type vehicles.

the directions say to use 1oz to less than 15 gallons of gas, I got a cheap house hold 'liquid' type glass cup to measure into, should have used a funnel to funnel it into the tank, but maybe next time.

I have a stock exhaust system on my bike, with per DynoJet instructions, the jet that matches up with a stock exhaust.

I commute to work on this bike on a backroad, speed limit is only 45 MPH mostly. sometimes speeds of 60 MPH.

I can drive for three days on anywhere between 1.3 and 1.4 gallons of gas and am getting a gas mileage between 93-97 miles.

not sure how many more miles I can get before having to refill the bike with gas.

I had a motorcycle shop install the jet kit, and clean the carb, and am really impressed, thought the mileage would go down having read extensively reviews on the dynojet kit and MPG.

the DynoJet kit just makes the bike start and stay running better than the factory settings.

I still have to use the choke to start it, but once started it stays running.

just thought I would share.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

You're getting 93-97 miles on 1.3 to 1.4 gallons? That's fantastic!

IMO, it should need the choke to start unless the bike is warmed up or it's hot out. Not needing the choke indicates a rich pilot jet.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I have 6-7 bikes cant ride them all the time so most stay in storage
when I did keep the registration valid on them I kept seafoam in the tanks
I had understood on the seafoam bottle 1oz per gallon so that $10 bottle can do 15 gallons
I usually did a cap full because my tanks are around 1.5 gallons and not really full
just wanted to keep what little fuel protected

Then drain the carb bowl
I can start the bike a year later, 1-2 kicks will run then just top off with fresh fuel

I was told sea foam prevents rust in metal tanks because of the ethonal additives we have in the gas now
was told stabil doesnt, but I have those jerry cans with 2-3 year old fuel and saw no rust and fuel worked just fine in my work truck

funny when I first had my bike brand new I rode it very easy
got around 90 miles until I hit reserve

now im lucky to get to 70 miles
I make it a habit just to fill up around 60 miles now at home all the time
really wish I could get better mileage because just one day worth of riding I have to fill it up

Old 06-06-2015, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
I was told sea foam prevents rust in metal tanks because of the ethonal additives we have in the gas now
was told stabil doesnt...

funny when I first had my bike brand new I rode it very easy
got around 90 miles until I hit reserve

now im lucky to get to 70 miles
I make it a habit just to fill up around 60 miles now at home all the time
really wish I could get better mileage because just one day worth of riding I have to fill it up
I use sea foam also, picked up the brand while looking at the v4 forum. Interestingly I have a DJ136 main with the DJ needle on 4N and am getting about 95 miles to reserve or mid 60s mpg. Must be the 15x39 gearing. Before rejetting and MCM I often saw 75mpg.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Forgot I have the 15 counter sprocket too
Really reduces freeway rpm's
Stock rear sprocket

Old 06-08-2015, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I am impressed with the MPG on this bike.

1.3-1.4 gallons, under a gallon and a half, and ninety miles until a refill of petrol. on a bike that just holds a total of 2 gallons of gas.

the only thing I wish this bike had would be a true fuel gauge, not just resetting the trip meter back to 0.

and a gear shift indicator to let you know what gear you're in. not just the neutral light.

Last edited by KLX25O; 06-08-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

you know what crossed my mind
you know the speedometer is way off, on my bike I think I had to go like 80something to go 65 gps speed on the freeway

I bought some digital converter thing to I can set my speedo to read dead on with gps
to calibrate it correctly brand might be 12 o'clock labs

now I havent thoght this out yet
but what if your seeing such good mileage because your speedo is way off, making the odometer way off

just a thought

my old dl650 I used to have there was a digital gear indicator available for it, plug and play

never looked to see if the klx has one
was pretty nice, these 6 speeds its hard to feel what gear your in
compared to a 5 speed

Old 06-08-2015, 12:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
but what if your seeing such good mileage because your speedo is way off, making the odometer way off

I have a plan to run a tank of gas with my Garmin 510 on the bars and see what the mileage works out to.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

so if I do think about it
your speedo runs way faster
so your odometer would be showing more miles
which would calculate to better mpg correct

now that mine is calibrated to gps
my mileage isnt too good, but ive only checked couple times when I first got it

I know I hit reserve tank around 70-75 something miles
and usually fill around 1.2? gallons when im close to 70

so I would think for my bike, with my jetting changes im close to 70 mpg maybe a touch less

Old 06-08-2015, 03:47 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Not sure about the speedo vs. odometer deal on most of these bikes. Since I started riding Jap bikes in '69, they all had horribly optimistic speedos until more recent years on higher end models. However, the odometer was usually quite close to real mileage. In fact there may be some kind of DOT reg on odometer accuracy, whereas they're not as concerned if a manufacturer fudges a bit on the high side of speed readings. I don't have direct experience with the '09 or later electronic gauges, but I wouldn't be surprised if the odo is closer to correct than one might think.