Bent handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Bent handlebars

Hey guys.....

I had my first little fall today. I was coming off the end of a little trail and i give it too much throttle, it did a wheelie and my hand got stuck on the throttle. Long story short i crashed into a wall at probably 10 mph. The bike fell onto the right, on my leg. No major damage done other than a bruised knee and elbow though

As soon as i got back on the bike i noticed that the handle bars seemed to the right a bit. When going straight the spedo and everything seems just to the right. Its more than ridable but quite annoying haha.

I have read that the handle bars are easily bent so I'm not TOO worried. Is it a tough job to get them replaced and all straight again ?

Looks like a trip to my bike mechanic as i have no clue how to do this kinda stuff.

Anyway, thanks and any help is appreciated

Old 07-04-2015, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Hoping these are the right ones ?

Renthal 7/8th Motocross/Enduro Bars with Pads
- Bars 971-08 (Black)

£42

Old 07-04-2015, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I hate bent bars! Glad your ok. You can change the bars with minimal tools. Slide your grips off the loosen your controls and slide them off too. Remove the two center clamps and reinstall everything snug as you found it. Adjust the bars and controls were they are most comfortable to you and tighten it all up. Your done!

Old 07-04-2015, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks buddy.

Do you think it is only the handle bars that is making things seem like their to the right ? Hope its nothing more serious lol

Old 07-04-2015, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya most likely. A tiny little tweak can feel strange. Don't take much to bend bars. Would take a much harder crash to effect the forks.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by adamellisdj
Hey guys.....

I had my first little fall today. I was coming off the end of a little trail and i give it too much throttle, it did a wheelie and my hand got stuck on the throttle. Long story short i crashed into a wall at probably 10 mph. The bike fell onto the right, on my leg. No major damage done other than a bruised knee and elbow though

As soon as i got back on the bike i noticed that the handle bars seemed to the right a bit. When going straight the spedo and everything seems just to the right. Its more than ridable but quite annoying haha.

I have read that the handle bars are easily bent so I'm not TOO worried. Is it a tough job to get them replaced and all straight again ?

Looks like a trip to my bike mechanic as i have no clue how to do this kinda stuff.

Anyway, thanks and any help is appreciated

Odds are you may have tweaked the forks in the clamps too. No damage, just twisted in the triple clamps. If you stand up while going down the road and carefully look down you may notice the headlight/fender/wheel out of line, to the side.

If you take the bike to a mechanic they can straighten it, but it can also be done by holding the front wheel between your legs and pulling the bars in the direction it needs to go. That may or may not work. If it doesn't, loosen the pinch clamps slightly to allow the tubes to twist in the clamps and do it again, this time the front end should be easy to straighten. Then tighten the triple clamp bolts, not a bad time to learn about torque wrenches and tighten it the right amount. Torque wrenches can be had for $9.99 with a coupon from a magazine at Harbor Freight and they're accurate based on Car Craft testing them.

Get new bars too, just because. If you don't know what bend you want, buy a bend like the CR or CR High bend in steel bars. Steel bars are cheaper so if you don't like the bent or height you don't have nearly a hundred bucks tied up in them, more like $30. Go in a shop, grab and hold a set of bars to see how your wrists line up and if you like the pull back. You can try bikes too since most bends are patterned after the CR, the YZ, or the KX.

Have at it... have fun.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

i went through three sets of steel handlebars in two months; bent every last one. I finally dropped a few extra dollars on aluminum bars. They are thicker walled and more resistant to bending. I've taken a few falls since then, with no bends.

It's a great time to learn about the bike. a few wrenches, a screw driver, and you can swap them out yourself. Just don't force anything, and if you get into something you're not sure about, post pictures and questions here. We got your back!

Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. Il get the Renthal 7/8th Motocross/Enduro Bars ordered. I just hope that sorts the issue out haha

Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Just had to do this for my cousins 2006 KLX250s after he was trying to teach a friend to do a wheelie. I put the Renthal bars on his, he really likes them (I have them on my KLX250s as well, def. a big improvement over stock!). And yes, his tire was pointed probably 15 or 20 degrees to the right, so we had to loosen the middle bolt on the triple clamps and straighten the front wheel out, then tighten it all back up again. Not hard, just took a little tweaking. Other than though, changing the bars is easy! You should be able to do that with no problems! Good luck!

Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

If you do replace the bars (I went with Pro-Taper SE 7/8 CR High) then be carful when taking apart the throttle cables. There are 2 cables, not hard to figure out but do make sure you notice how they come apart.

Quick Reply: Bent handlebars