BB331 Install Problems - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Happy update coming!

I buttened her up today, pulled the trigger and she eventually started. Took her out for a ride and after some fuel controller adjustments, it seems to be running fine!

The only things I did was swap the compression rings to their correct position, cleaned up the head, plug and valves, and put in the correct cir clips. I also checked valve clearance and ring gaps. Valves were within spec and one ring was fine. The second ring down was too wide. Didn't know what to do in that case. I did some research and found some people saying it's not a super major deal (unless it's WAAAAAAAY to much gap). Fgured I would give it a try anyway.

One last thing I noticed was the gasket from the exhaust head pipe lying down on my skid plate. I'm thinking it must have fallen down the first time we took it apart. That could explain the noise I was hearing before.

After the ride I pulled the plug and it looked great! Peeked into the hole and no oil on the piston. I've been knocking on a lot of wood. Hoping all is now well.

It died a few times during the ride. Always when the rpm's were higher and I pulled the clutch when coming to a stoplight. And it never started easy. Always had to give a little gas as it was turning over to get it started. Maybe I need to up the fuel even more...?

The only thing I need to double check is the fuel controlling settings. I believe Joel was right when he said he thought it was running lean. Fuel wise it was lean. But had the oil in there making things black.

I've upped the numbers on the EJK and have nearly maxed it out for Green and Yellow. 7.5 out of 8 in Green and 7 for Yellow. Going to check these numbers with Dobeck. Seems high to me.

I'm going to take her for a good long ride tomorrow and see what is what. So far I'm not terribly impressed by the power gain. Though I haven't WOT yet. Going up some mountain switchbacks should tell me what I need to know.

Until then...

And thank you everyone who commented here. Much, much appreciated!

Last edited by outrecording; 02-08-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Btw, I did manage to get in touch with Bill with another email account. He confirmed the silver (with bronze costing) ring is on top and darker one second.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad it's running better and well done on the problem solving.