BB331 Install Problems - Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Can't be the ignition timing as that is all controlled by the ecu.

Maybe the cam chain timing is off

Did you ask EJK to re-program controller before fitting it. A standard EJK will not give enough fuel just by fiddling with the buttons for a big bore. Really sounds like you running super lean with a incorrect fuel curve.
Yes, I bought a new unit from them. They said the 250 unit I have can't be reprogrammed. Well, first employee I talked to said it COULD, but another (Matt) said she was mistaken.

If anything, I kind of feel like it's getting too much fuel considering my bike's setup and settings:

2014 klx250s
Kdx snorkel
Notoil foam air filter
Fmf q4
Stock head pipe
331 big bore

Currently I've got the settings as such:

Green: 6.5
Yellow: 7
Red: 4*
Green/Blue: 0.5
Yellow/Blue: 4
Red/Blue: 3.5*

*note - I haven't WOT yet, so these numbers may be off.

Anything lower for Green and Yellow and the bike lurches and hesitates. It's not starting all that great now. Usually have to give some throttle right after it starts to turn over. Then idles fine.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
Yes, I bought a new unit from them. They said the 250 unit I have can't be reprogrammed. Well, first employee I talked to said it COULD, but another (Matt) said she was mistaken.
So is the unit stock or did it get reprogrammed by Matt??

Stock unit will not work! We sent my friends unit to Matt 2 years ago because he couldn't it the bike running properly, it came back 10 days later & just needed some very fine adjustment with the buttons & still working like a charm.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

So is the unit stock or did it get reprogrammed by Matt??

Stock unit will not work! We sent my friends unit to Matt 2 years ago because he couldn't it the bike running properly, it came back 10 days later & just needed some very fine adjustment with the buttons & still working like a charm.
I told them I was putting in a 331 and it showed up with a 331 on the paperwork. The actual box has the product number for the big bore unit. So I would assume they reprogrammed it for the 331. I emailed Matt about it a few days ago and haven't heard back...

Old 02-02-2016, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you recall how your friend's bike was running? Making me wonder if they just sent me a stock 300cc unit. But with these black spark plugs, makes me wonder...

Last edited by outrecording; 02-02-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you recall how your friend's bike was running? Making me wonder if they just sent me a stock 300cc unit. But with these black spark plugs, makes me wonder...
We told Matt it was for a 331.

It was running a little rough round the edges with lumpy tickover & didn't want to red line without get hot. Rideable though but with a few fine adjustments on the panel it was smooth & perfect.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:34 AM
1st Gear Member

We told Matt it was for a 331.

It was running a little rough round the edges with lumpy tickover & didn't want to red line without get hot. Rideable though but with a few fine adjustments on the panel it was smooth & perfect.
Ah ok, I misunderstood. Thought you meant your friend had a stock unit trying to work on a 331, then sent it off for the correct programming and all was well.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah ok, I misunderstood. Thought you meant your friend had a stock unit trying to work on a 331, then sent it off for the correct programming and all was well.
Thought that's what I said.

He had a stock EJK unit that didn't work on the big bore, we sent the stock EJK off for reprogramming & then it worked ok. The stock EJK for the 250 with not work & the stock EJK for the 300 will not work on your bike.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Thought that's what I said.

He had a stock EJK unit that didn't work on the big bore, we sent the stock EJK off for reprogramming & then it worked ok. The stock EJK for the 250 with not work & the stock EJK for the 300 will not work on your bike.
Ok, cool. Got it! Let's hope they sent me the correct unit...

Old 02-02-2016, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

It should be fairly easy to see if your timing is off, without pulling too much apart. Just take the cover off, and (checking against the service manual) if the teeth are properly lined up, whilst you're at TDC. If you are, check the valve clearances are more or less in spec, if both are, then its most probably electronic timing. The plug does look horribly fouled, clean that for a start, and try and again. If its black after a few miles down the road, then the EJK is the problem giving too much fuel. I can tell you from a carb model, with a jet too big, (i.e too rich) the bike runs like absolute crap. You could be mistaking running rich with something wrong in the cylinder.

I'd rule out fuel issues, (as that's where the plug is pointing too ! ) first, then timing, then the cylinder head.

Problem is with EJK, i have no idea on how to advise you ! We do not have that here in the USA. Only carb models.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd advise to focus on the fact that it ran good before the 331 and didn't after - think of what could you two have done during the install to cause this.. For instance, how could ya'll have possibly have mess'd up the ignition timing by installing a new cylinder and piston? Could ya'lls install be allowing oil to get past the rings into the combustion chamber - causing black plugs?

Also, the members that live with a Big Bore-EFI-EJK-KLX , like Joel, will be the ones' to listen too - not me...lol

Quick Reply: BB331 Install Problems - Help Needed