Barkbusters VS Acerbis & RMATV Disc Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Barkbusters VS Acerbis & RMATV Disc Code

I sold a jeep for a friend and made $500 in the deal and its burning a hole in my credit card. Free Money! Perfect excuse to buy christmass presents for the KLX.

I have about $250 worth of stuff sitting in a cart at RMATV including some Acerbis Rally Pro handguards

I really cant decide if I should go with the Acerbis Rally Pro guards or get some Barkbuster VPS from Twisted Throttle. Both are within a few $ of each other. I am leaning toward the barkbusters for a couple reasons.

1. When I bust them I can just get the replacement guards and bar and not the mounting kit.
2. I kind of like the look a little better.
3. Most importantly I know how to pronounce Bark Buster!

I looked at the old posts I could find and these seem to be two of the top choices. If anyone has any compelling reasons for one over the other please let me know.

Also I understand RMATV has $20 discount codes quite often. I could not google any current ones. All I could find was the offer thats on the site to get up to $100 toward your next purchase depending on what you spend today. Anyone want to hook a brutha up?

Any other good things to look at from RMATV while I am makeing an order?
As of now I have Gloves, Jearsy, Pants, Elbow and Knee Guards, water wetter, and a bike stand in the cart. Got skidplate, Rear rack, & Some Sidi boots on order from elswhere.

Still need to bite the bullet on a good helmet. Been using a cheep one.
I also want to get a 43 or 44 tooth rear sprocket but not finding one so far.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the acerbis handguards and the green ones look killer on the bike. But I was able to break one the first day I had em. I stopped in a rocky trail and put my foot down without looking, my foot went into a hole and I tipped over. The entire weight of the bike landed on the left side handguard, cracking it on the inside(not visible on the outside) and bent the entire guard into my clutch lever. Luckily I was smart enough to have the allen wrenchs needed to take em off. I took the entire guard off and used two trees close together to bend it back. The odometer was at .2 miles when I cracked the guard. Go figure. I also dented my FMF muffler on its maiden voyage. I am almost afraid to install a 351 kit, for fear of what I will break on that ride. LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Always used Barkbusters.
No complaints.

I think you pronounce Acerbis, Ah-Chair-Bees.
But I still say, A-Sir-Bees

Old 11-24-2009, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on Ah-Chair-Bees. I just learned that a couple weeks ago. Funny how things like that pop up.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought I was gonna have the hook up for the RMATV coupon but I dug it out and it says it expired Oct 29th. It was just $10 off anything over $100.
You could try it. enter this in the gift certificate area during checkout 77809
Maybe they will have a black friday sale???
Merry mx mas
Dan

Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

try zeta. they are made by cycra (sp?), and have led turn signals as an add on option.
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/s...gory&cat_id=76

if you want advice on protective gear, i would suggest a chest protector or maybe a good riding jacket. i just got the first gear torrent jacket for about 100 bucks and the thing rocks. only prob is it will look goofy with a chest protector (kinda streetish/adventure mech jacket with liner, but it does have padding so im actully running just the jacket when i wear it for right now) and as always, cant run the leatt with it.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks all. The only reason I ruled out Zeta was a comment on an old post where poster said they went with Acerbis for durability. I tried to order the barkbusters but it looks like I will have to get up ealry in the morning to call them in order to get shipped to Guam.

Punked I have a chest protector that I got from JasonFMX. I definaly want to wear the boots& shin guards before my next offroad forray. The bike took a nap on my shins as I slid down a rutted hill. I think a jacket may be too much here. Lows are about 78 degrees and humidity is allways high. I noticed the fan turns on often when going slow blazeing trail thru the swordgrass.

Most of my rideing so far is slab but I do want to ride some trails and explore. I dont want wings.

Hopeing I get a camera for christmass so I can post some pics of Guam and the bike.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Was looking at this lift/stand
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...FamilyId=23031
Looks good but I dont see any atachment points to secure the bike to the stand? anyone use anything like this?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:01 AM
1st Gear Member

You will not easily break BarkBusters, trust me. The plastic will get scuffed up but overall they are solid. If you get the Triple clamp mounts as well they will survive a nuclear holocaust.

Name:  tripleclampmount.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  34.1 KB

Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Maverick - did you have to drop your front end to fit those? I only have about 7mm of fork above the top clamps.

edit: Just checked the bark busters website to see how they mounted - do you know if that mounting kit also comes with inserts for the end of the bars or do you have to purchase two mounting kits?

Cheers
Paul
________
RHODE ISLAND MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Barkbusters VS Acerbis & RMATV Disc Code