Backfire Air Filter & Screen - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richard Avatar
EFI by nature is not dependent on vacuum signal to deliver fuel into the venturi via jets exposed to the incoming air stream as there is in carbureted versions, It's preprogrammed.

Unless there's a vacuum sensor feeding info to something that would vary the amount of fuel injected, but I don't think there is on these bikes.

Taking the lid off and/or removing the screen could still lean the A/F mix outside of the parameters of the programmed EFI injected settings though of course.

Engines with any type of non-CV carby could still be somewhat dependent on any contribution the smallish opening the air box lid is making to how strong the vacuum signal/flow is over the jetting orifices in the floor of the carb.

Air scoop openings on race cars often have smallish openings in relation to the amount of power the engines are putting out.
The injection of the KLX is professional with all sensors,
oxygen sensor, air temperature sensor, air pressure sensor, throttle body assy .....

KAWASAKI KLX250

Old 05-12-2013, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

for your consideration, another singed filter (screen removed) on my crf, 2nd time it's happened, screen cage is going back in. Yet to see it on the klx though.

Name:  filter.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  40.6 KB

Old 07-30-2014, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by scallen
Went to pull my screen off and, ......................... mine is an 09 and has f$%&ing phillips screws that go through the screen housing and into the airbox. As YYY said, the lower one is a B@&%$. I tried to put a short phillips bit on the end of the long noze vise grips and decided that I will have to think on this for a while. I can just see a cheap *** screw head being rounded off. Will see if there is a better way when I have more time. Maybe the 06 and 07's have studs with nuts. The air box on the 09 looks to be two parts, making attachment of the screen housing easier durring assembly but not so on disassembly. Will let you know what I do.
Hey scallen, my 2011 also has the Phillips screws.
Has anyone had any success with removing these, and what would be the best method. The one at the bottom is a real bitch...
My screen is getting caked up with grease from mounting the filter, and I think removal is the best option?
Thanks

Old 07-30-2014, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cachnutz
Hey scallen, my 2011 also has the Phillips screws.
Has anyone had any success with removing these, and what would be the best method. The one at the bottom is a real bitch...
My screen is getting caked up with grease from mounting the filter, and I think removal is the best option?
Thanks
i used a bit driver on a 1/4 rachet. worked pretty good.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
i used a bit driver on a 1/4 rachet. worked pretty good.
Same here.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 07-30-2014, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Various length bits and ratchet seemed to do the job, thanks for your help.
Taking off the screen and cleaning it up was a lot more work than anticipated, but oh well.
Hope to fire it up soon once I get some maintenance finished with.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Took her for a rip tonight and I believe that this made a difference.
I always thought that I was running a little rich and this seemed to balance the problem. Better throttle response throughout.
But... could have been that my screen had a bunch of filter grease on it, or maybe the fresh nobbies I just put on......or maybe its just the new riding apparel I bought.
Either way just ride and have fun!!!!

Old 08-02-2014, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok lets see, the backfire screen stops the ah backfire from getting to the filter but does not slow the air going from the carb to the engine.

So basically the backfire screen is a one way valve.:roll eyes: I will leave mine out seeing how it was already out when I got the bike. My seat of the pants dyno mostly tells me that my KTM seat is not soft.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by turnsleft
Ok lets see, the backfire screen stops the ah backfire from getting to the filter but does not slow the air going from the carb to the engine.

So basically the backfire screen is a one way valve.:roll eyes: I will leave mine out seeing how it was already out when I got the bike. My seat of the pants dyno mostly tells me that my KTM seat is not soft.
No dyno here, but...when I had my last KLR650 I experienced the following. I had a 2001 KLR650. It had a Supertrapp exhaust, Dynojet needle kit, drilled out airbox top, and K&N air filter. I had removed the airbox screen on my 3 previous KLR's, and it's a PITA because it doesn't have the removable cage. I finally got around to removing it on my '01 after I had everything dialed in with the above. After removing it, I had a small, perceptible ping when whacking open the throttle from mid-throttle or cruising, and it seemed to be continuing when you held it full throttle...but the Supertrapp and wind were so lound at this point that it was hard to be sure. Since I didn't have surging or pinging at steady cruise throttle, I felt it was the main jet instead of needle position. I went up one step on the main jet, and all signs of pinging disappeared. While this is obviously no dyno or AF test, it gave me the relatively clear impression at full throttle that the removal of the screen allowed more air. It's the only thing I can assume at this point. I would expect somewhat similar on the KLX.

Quick Reply: Backfire Air Filter & Screen - Part 2