avon distanzia tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default avon distanzia tires

I'm thinking if I don't get a set of Dunlops, that a street type tire is the next tire I am going to get, since I ride mostly on road.

has anyone had a set of avon distanzia tires, how did you like them, and what size did you get front and rear.

I can get a local shop to install these and get a warranty from the company that produces them if installed by the shop,

Old 07-23-2015, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

My brother and a friend both use Distanzias on their bikes. One is a Buell Ulysses, the other a DRz400SM. They work very well on the road and adequately on dirt/gravel and groomed trails. It's the mud and loose deep surfaces that will be a problem, but knowing that and your limits, they will be good... Especially if you have the KLX supermoto.

Try to stay near stock sizes, because of clearance and bigger tires eat power. My friend on the DRz runs a 150/70-17 and a 120/70-17, the chain actually hits the tire lightly when runnig, has a gap when sitting still - go figure.

If I was running them I'd be doing a 140 and a 110. The bigger tires just don't add value, just take more power and cost more. I'm supermotoing my 650 in the near future and it will be running the 140 and 110. The 130/80-17 and 90/90-21 with the Duro Median 60/40 tires stick like glue on the pavement chasing those guys around, so I have to believe a 140/70-17 and a 110/70-17 have to be plenty of stick. I also know going wider on the back will require sprocket spacing or offsetting the rim, not worth the headache.

Last edited by klx678; 07-23-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I went to one of only two motorcycle shops in my area.

One being a authorized dealer of Avon tires, he installs them and I can fill out a paper through Avon with my receipt and get a warranty on the tires, for punctures etc.

He gets a pro-rating on the tires and $57 cheaper for the rear tire and $48 cheaper for the front tire. him being a dealer, he can get the tires cheaper than retail or what I could online.

He told me to stop by and helped me pick out a set of Avon Super Moto tires.

He said that my tires had plenty of tread left, but the rear tire was usually the first tire that needed to be changed.

He had a stack of tires outside of his garage a few being Avon tires, and one chopper motorcycle in his shop had Avon "venom" tires.

the rear part number is 305398, the front part number is 305389. and was quoted $320 to install the tires with new tubes. but if I have him install them I get a warranty through Avon, plus he has a tire machine.

He also told me that the profile would be a little bit lower, but not even noticeable.

He also told me he wouldn't put Dunlop tires on a wheel barrow. He said some Dunlop tires were good, one in particular, but since the Avon tire matched my wheels, I forgot the brand of Dunlop he mentioned being good.

For others I have talked to, if you ride mostly street, street tires are best. I have had no trouble on pavement with the stock Dunlop tires I have on it now, but it seems that the tread being aggressive for offroading, wouldn't last long like a street tire would. since I ride mostly paved roads.

http://www.avonmoto.com/warranty/road-hazard-warranty

http://www.avonmoto.com/

Last edited by KLX25O; 07-25-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default distanzia

had them on my 06 klx250, the distanzia's were great on the street.

off road, forest roads, gravel......any kind of dirt...NO WAY!!!!!

the distanzia is considered a 10/90 10% dirt, 90% street.

I would not take a bike with these tires off road.

if you are looking for street only....supermoto type....then go for it

just my 2 cents

Old 07-26-2015, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

That's what is what I was hoping to hear.

Good for street use.

I have a 2 mile drive from the last paved road to my house.

nothing crazy.

I drove a 883 sportster for a while, too heavy of a motorcycle for me.

and how my driveway is up a mountain, almost impossible to get it and out with a bike that size.

I read a article from a motorcycle magazine and the editor said he would never own a bike over 500 pounds, no mater how many accessories it had etc.

All the added weight made it not so fun to drive.

I will try and post some photos after I get the tires, it might be a while though.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

As I said, I have ridden with and seen my friend ride off road with the Distanzias on his DRz400. Not all dirt is super loose, mud, rutted, etc. A decent groomed trail can be ridden with a bald tire. We're not talking knobbies, we're talking a tire that can do gravel and dirt roads- seen it with both a DRz400 and a Buell 1200 Ulysses.

Would they do good on real single track off roading with roots, rocks, mud, etc? No, they would not. But I think you have enough of a clue to realize that. They're similar to a lot of these big block tires that are coming out for the big adventure bikes, but a bit shallower tread and more SM style riding.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I went Saturday and gave the guy $$ who owns the Motor Cycle shop,to order the tires.

Cost was $236.92, for those shopping around for these tires.

the rear tire from Avon is $167, but he sold me the rear tire for $120.

the front tire from Avon is $153, but he sold me the front tire for $105.

$11.92 cents in taxes.

he is a authorized dealer/distributor for this brand, hence the good deal.

funny thing though, thought it would take a while to get the tires, I told him I would drop my bike off the week after next to have him install them. he said he was going to Bristol that week and could get the tires sooner, but didn't want them just sitting around inside the shop.

So anyways, in the next couple of weeks, I will post a photo of the 'SuperMoto' tyres from Avon on a KLX250s.

the tires on it now, are obviously original from 2012, they don't even make the Dunlop that's on it now. they are worn down quite a bit, and the front looks to be 'cupped' in places.

hopefully these tires last as long as the Dunlops.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Got the call today the tires came in.

Instead of waiting, I went on and called this past Monday.

Dude was busy, a few bikes outside his shop, including mine, and a couple of bikes on a rack inside, but he said he would have it done tomorrow.

I will post photos. Looks like the AM43, AM44 tire from Avon.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Smooth

Attached Thumbnails avon distanzia tires-image.jpg  
Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Front tire

35 psi

Attached Thumbnails avon distanzia tires-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: avon distanzia tires