ARL Does all the MODs! (ARL's Vlog)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I just want to thank you for your videos. I think I stumbled across them independently on youtube - before seeing this thread - and subscribed.

I'm new to motorcycles and there were some things you had done to your bike that I hadn't seen before in either this forum or the advrider mega-thread (which I've never fully read). For example: wrapping your exhaust pipe. I never knew that could affect performance and don't recall ever seeing pics of anyone else's KLX with that heat wrap on the pipe.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you!

I know, reading that thread is terrible. I tried once, then gave up somewhere around page 100. It helps having a bunch of bikes, to see what other manufacturers did, like the Magura clutch I got from riding my dad's KTM350EXCF.

Also, other bike forums have decent ideas. Like the Rox vibration damping risers I discovered from Thumpertalk in a thread on the KLR650. They talk about adventure touring quite a bit, and have issues with their hands after days of highway riding.

Then there's some things designed for the bike that there are oddly few pictures of, like the Scott's Steering Stabilizer, or the SM rotor by EBC.

As well, the stuff that's known but hard to find info on, like the Galfer braided brake lines, or the vapor computer. Even much of the mods used/available to the bike are quite difficult to get a comprehensive look at.

As far as the exhaust wrapping goes, it's more important for those with an aftermarket header. Since the larger diameter pipe has a tendency to cool gasses faster. We want less friction but for the gasses to remain warm so that they expel with their own energy.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 04-14-2015, 08:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Question about the "Aftermarket Chain Guide" video

I just noticed my chain guide is in bad shape after recent rock gardens so it was very helpful to find your video:

What is the source for this guide? It looks sturdier than the Hot Foot

Hot Foot Moto LLC :: Motorcycle Products :: Chain Sliders, Guides, Rollers :: Kawasaki :: KLX, KDX & KLR Models :: 1995-2006 Kawasaki KDX 200 220; 94-96 & 06-09 KLX 250; 97-07 KLX 300; 93-96 KLX 650 Rear Chain Guide

Update: Just noticed the video intro gives the name: Fredette

http://www.frpoffroad.com/fredette-r...ductid=-153652

But there is no "KLX2" listed, only 400s. Will update when I find the closest part number.

Last edited by KawaBiker; 04-14-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Found it
Old 04-15-2015, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I used the one for the kdx220. The bike uses most of the same parts as the klx, a d fortunately this is one of them. It wil, work on later klxs and not just the 06/07. It also comes in blue.

Anyway, part number 01-013 for blue and 01-013s for aluminum.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Moose Racing 'resells' the Fredette ones. I bought this one: Moose Aluminum Chain Guide Kawasaki KX125 KX250 KX500 KLX250R KLX250S KLX250SF | eBay

I was a little surprised when I ordered a Moose Racing part and when I got it, it was labelled as Fredette. It works well, though, and much stronger than the stock one. The stock one on my 2009 was pretty messed up, so I bought the Moose Racing/Fredette one for my 2011 and moved my good stock one from my 2011 to the 2009. I've had to straighten the one on the 2009 (that was from the 2011) several times now.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdventuresinRealLife
I used the one for the kdx220. The bike uses most of the same parts as the klx, a d fortunately this is one of them. It wil, work on later klxs and not just the 06/07. It also comes in blue.

Anyway, part number 01-013 for blue and 01-013s for aluminum.
Thanks for the additional info. Jeff Fredette said the following in an email:

"That video is with our 01-013 cg. it will possibly fit but I am not sure how much it will wear out the lower block as I think it is made to fit a little lower with the stock chain guide over ours. we have had now 2 inquires for a chain guide for this bike and have not built one because of the expense and the little demand for one."

Given your good results and the lack of alternatives I will ordering this.

UPDATE 5/24/15:

I ordered the 01-013 direct from Fredette and received Moose Racing PN 1231-0422 for the “KX 89-00”. It went on with no modification. For best alignment, I put the thick spacers between the swing arm and the left plate. It does fit a 51T sprocket, barely. We shall see if the closeness turns out to be a problem long-term but it is working well so far.

Pic: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ps3hcxpfvr.jpg

Last edited by KawaBiker; 05-24-2015 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Update with results
Old 04-16-2015, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you have more mods to your klx than I do on my mine! Are you going to have that thing all back together and ready to ride for this year?! What are you going to do when you run out of Mods to do for the Mod of week videos? Hopefully you will be wrapping this bike up and getting it back on the road if you haven't yet. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:34 AM
1st Gear Member

I think you have more mods to your klx than I do on my mine!
I'll count that as a victory! Woo! Wait are you MrDumbFactor? I only wonder because the 1994 KLR250 part of your name.

Are you going to have that thing all back together and ready to ride for this year?!
I actually just fixed it today. Somehow I broke the ignition coil either just before (I really overheated the bike on my last ride) or while it was apart. It was really difficult to figure out the problem, since I went on the presumption that I had put something together wrong. I did a vacuum test, a leakdown, changed carbs, timing, tested the CDI and fiddled with the crankshaft sensor, even swapped out spark plugs to hotter ones twice....But, as it turns out things break sometimes.

What are you going to do when you run out of Mods to do for the Mod of week videos? Hopefully you will be wrapping this bike up and getting it back on the road if you haven't yet.
Run out of mods?! Well, I have at least 20 more filmed from my living room, and then about 5-10 more that I have no film on. Also, I've got a list of around 2 dozen other mods I'd like to do, mostly supermoto stuff. After that I'll move on to modding a Klx140l (dual sport kit/extras) and then who knows?

Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh! I forgot to mention, the Freddette chain guide does sit a bit high for anything larger than a 43t rear sprocket. With a 47 it was rubbing a bit more than I'd like.

Quick Reply: ARL Does all the MODs! (ARL's Vlog)