Anybody wanna trade carb for FI.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Anybody wanna trade carb for FI.

I've got a 2008 KLX 250s with 7000kms that is fuel injected. It works fine but my fuel here is so full of rust that I have to keep cleaning the injector (I live in the highlands of Papua where everything, including fuel, is flown in by plane so Kawasaki didn't design the system of my specific niche) I think I want to go to a carb set up, i can just drain the bowl every few days and I'll be good. Anybody in a place that has clean gas willing to swap systems with me? I'll send you the whole injection system and you send me the carb set up. I actually don't know what all is involved cause I don't know if the carb set up comes with fuel pump and all of that?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

The carb version doesn't use a fuel pump. It's all gravity flow from the tank to the carb. Isn't the FI model's pump in the tank? Would it be best to switch tanks too?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Can you buy Fuel Injector cleaner that you pour into the tank there? It might be worth a shot.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmott426
Can you buy Fuel Injector cleaner that you pour into the tank there? It might be worth a shot.
...and there are usually kits consisting of hose and pressurized cleaner that you can attach to the fuel feed port of the injector itself to clean out deposits...or shops that have machines designed for this purpose. That might be a pain depending on how often you have to perform that task. The injector cleaner that you just pour into the tank is usually just for "maintenance" to prevent deposit buildup, but depending on the level of buildup, it might work. It would be a relatively cheap attempt to try.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

if it is indeed rust causing the issue, i doubt injector cleaner is going to help much. it wont remove the rust from the gas, you're only going to be able to physically filter the fuel of that type of impurity.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Would a magnet help at all? Drop a few strong magnets into the tank. Try placing them around the fuel pickup.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Would a magnet help at all? Drop a few strong magnets into the tank. Try placing them around the fuel pickup.
Good thought. Could strong magnets be used in a filter during fillup?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

i like that magnet idea, I am going to try that. maybe I can test it in a clear jerey can of gas first and see what I get... I can probably get more serious about filtering... right now I put 1.5 liters in a bottle with a filter on it and leave it for about 3-5 minutes, so, filling my tank takes forever and patience isn't my strength. maybe that is why God gave me the klx with FI... so I would learn patience!

Old 05-29-2014, 09:21 AM
1st Gear Member

If the magnet idea sort of works with a normal magnet, then try it with neodymium. These things are seriously strong!
Neodymium Magnets (NdFeB) - Powerful rare iron boron earth magnet

It's quite a bit of work to convert a FI to carb & a ridiculously big job converting a carb bike into FI.

Good luck

Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

If I was you I would stick with the FI

I am not sure what is offered in your part of the world but I would add an inline fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump. (I am guessing the fuel pump is not in the tank/)

K&N FUEL FILTERS

The filters in the link above would work before the fuel pump.

From what I have seen the internet the FI motor is the way to go being that there is not choke to deal with and it starts up and goes. The carb bikes until you get it jetted just right can be a pain at times.

Also you will have the same issues with a carb bike in that there is rust and junk in the fuel that you are using. There is nothing more fun than forgeeting to turn of your fuel at the tank and coing out the next morning to find fuel all over the floor becasue rust or dirt caused the float valve in the carb to slick open. It is like have the valve in your toilet stick and water just keeps running your water bill up while you are at work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anybody wanna trade carb for FI.