Any melted B&B stickers? Normal or I ran too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Any melted B&B stickers? Normal or I ran too hot?

I noticed halfway into my ride yesterday that I melted part of my B&B sticker. Anyone else do this? I don't recall anyone mentioning this happen before. Anything I should worry about?

I've got a temp gauge on it. Technically a cylinder head gauge, but it wouldn't fit. Per the manufacturers recommendation I put it under a nearby bolt. In this case a bolt on the front of the head. It's called the reed valve assembly.

Anyway, I get consistent temps from it and yesterday it maxed out higher than normal. For normal riding it sits around 100C (212F) give or take. Harder riding, under load...max around 116C (240C). This time it maxed out at 126C (259F). It was a hot day as usual here.

Radiator fan was working. When it kicked in, the temps went down significantly. Oil level is good. Not sure what else to check.

I don't think anything is wrong though. I'm guessing my weight (245lb) and all my gear (another 30-40lbs) plus slow steady (and often steep) climbs up a mountain is just a lot for the engine...especially with little airflow.

Been wanting to put a switch on the fan so I can keep it going constantly on these climbs. It doesn't freeze here. I might try distilled water and water wetter as well.

Anyone else melt your sticker?

Attached Thumbnails Any melted B&B stickers? Normal or I ran too hot?-image.jpeg  
Old 10-18-2016, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

No melted sticker here.
Consider installing a manual fan switch and flip the fan on when you're doing that slow, steep hot riding. It makes a big difference.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

My sticker fell off.. at least the silver part did. But I weigh in right around you and mine runs hot too.

I found a company that makes a plug and play manual on /off switch(it's called a coolair manual radiator fan) that is OEM plug and play. And I'm adding a trail tech in line rad house temp sensor.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Get a radiator cap with a temp guage.

http://Tusk High Pressure Radiator C..._g9SbybT227GNP

Last edited by Werloc; 10-19-2016 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
Get a radiator cap with a temp guage.

http://Tusk High Pressure Radiator C..._g9SbybT227GNP
Oh heck yeah! Why on earth have I never sent this before? Thanks for the suggestion

Old 10-19-2016, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
My sticker fell off.. at least the silver part did. But I weigh in right around you and mine runs hot too.

I found a company that makes a plug and play manual on /off switch(it's called a coolair manual radiator fan) that is OEM plug and play. And I'm adding a trail tech in line rad house temp sensor.
I wanted to buy one but it's carb models only. Not sure why it wouldn't work though. Maybe the length of the wiring. Our temp sensor is on the engine.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
No melted sticker here.
Consider installing a manual fan switch and flip the fan on when you're doing that slow, steep hot riding. It makes a big difference.
You're right. I've been putting it off too long. Just dug into the wiring schematics of the bike and think I've figured out a decent way to wire it. Time to bust out the soldering iron

Old 10-19-2016, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Anyone know what the radiator fan wattage draw is? I haven't found a solid number, but 60 watts for a radiator fan has popped up a number of times on other motorcycles.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
You're right. I've been putting it off too long. Just dug into the wiring schematics of the bike and think I've figured out a decent way to wire it. Time to bust out the soldering iron
You'll find a wiring diagram in my post in the FAQs (link in sig line).

Old 10-19-2016, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I was referencing that, but my wiring appears a bit different...or I'm missing something.

(Going backwards here)

Fan wiring goes to ground and to fan relay. Fan relay goes to ECU. ECU goes to temp gauge. Then temp gauge back to ECU. (Both wires from temp gauge go to ECU)

I can't figure out which wire from the temp gauge to the ECU would be the right one to splice. No indication in the wiring schematics what each wire is for.

So my thinking is to cut the positive wire right before the fan and wire the switch in there. Switch it to one side and it's getting juice direct from the battery, and original wire (from ECU) is off. Switch it to the other side and everything runs as normal (temp gauge controls the fan).

It'll be a little messy with the extra wires, but should work.

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
You'll find a wiring diagram in my post in the FAQs (link in sig line).

Quick Reply: Any melted B&B stickers? Normal or I ran too hot?