Any "issues" with a 50T rear sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Any "issues" with a 50T rear sprocket?

I know. I know. There are dozens of threads about rear sprockets and gearing on the KLX250S posted here, and I've read most of them. Sorry.

I still have not seen much on the 14-50 sprocket combinations, however.

I currently am running a 13-47 set up and am very pleased with it. I accept the top end limitations in exchange for single track gruntability.

I figure a 14-50 combo is within a half tooth of the 13-47 I'm running, and am on the verge of a new chain, so will probably change the sprockets too. It just seems like the 14T would be better for the chain's life and maybe just fit better.

Question is: Are there reasons that I should not use a 50T on the KLX?

I do realize it would be slightly heavier since all components are larger, including the chain.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It's exactly what I did on my '06. I ran the 13/47 setup with excellent results. When I decided to install a new chain just before my annual Utah trip in May, I went with the 14/50 setup. I wanted a larger front to ease chain stress at the countershaft, and the 14/50 is the same as the KLX300 and yields basically the same gear setup as the 13/47. Even with the 13/47 I had to mod my rear chain guide to allow for the bigger rear sprocket. It isn't hard to do, as you just reorient the guide in the rear mounts. I only use two of the three mounts on the swingarm...the two forward holes...and adjusted the angle. I've had no issues with that modification. You just have to get creative.

I agree on the lower gearing being way more useful off road. I'd hate this bike without the 13/47 or 14/50 gear for my adventures. I limit myself to about 55 mph for longer pavement sections. I do as little pavement as necessary, but on my trips out west, I have to do a little pavement from camp or back to camp in many scenarios. I would avoid interstates at all cost.

I'd also add that I now use a Hot Foot Moto rear guide and front rub blocks and used part of the stock aluminum rear guide plates for my setup.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. This just the kind of information I was looking for. Your type of riding sounds just like what I prefer.

I'll take a look at the chain guide business to see what I might need to do. I bought my '06 used with the 47 already installed, so if I had a problem with the guide I didn't know it.

I checked out the hot foot stuff too, but if I understood you correctly, you had to modify your rear guide anyway, even with the hot foot.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I ran a 49 tooth rear for a while and want to put it back on. I now have a 45 and its just too tall for my riding. The teeth would rub a little on the chain guide when I was pulling the rear wheel or dropping the chain off to change the front sprocket (13, 14 & 15). I just let the teeth rub while doing this and it chewed a little of the chain guide away. No problem.

Also picked up a Hotfoot Moto chain guide and swingarm wear piece. I used the chain guide all on its own without a problem. The stock aluminum one took a bad beating and was unusable. Thad can explain why he used the hotfoot part AND the stock one together, but I'm not sure its necessary to take this approach.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-01-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

It really is the best gear for off-road, IMHO. It really allows the bike to move in the powerband on the trail.
I just went back to a semi-stock 14-43 and it is really lacking on the trails. I actually slipped the clutch today, something I never did with the 13-47. But I'm no longer looking for 7th gear on the road.
I agree that more chain on bigger sprockets will give more life for the drivetrain.
Where did you guys find the 50T?

Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
It really is the best gear for off-road, IMHO. It really allows the bike to move in the powerband on the trail.
I just went back to a semi-stock 14-43 and it is really lacking on the trails. I actually slipped the clutch today, something I never did with the 13-47. But I'm no longer looking for 7th gear on the road.
I agree that more chain on bigger sprockets will give more life for the drivetrain.
Where did you guys find the 50T?
Kawasaki KLX250S Parts, Performance, & Accessories - ProCycle

Old 07-02-2014, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Matt!
I never remember to check that site.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
Thanks Matt!
I never remember to check that site.
No problem! that's the only place I know of to find decent parts for the klx any how

Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Follow Up

Originally Posted by TNC
It's exactly what I did on my '06. I ran the 13/47 setup with excellent results. When I decided to install a new chain just before my annual Utah trip in May, I went with the 14/50 setup. I wanted a larger front to ease chain stress at the countershaft, and the 14/50 is the same as the KLX300 and yields basically the same gear setup as the 13/47. Even with the 13/47 I had to mod my rear chain guide to allow for the bigger rear sprocket. It isn't hard to do, as you just reorient the guide in the rear mounts. I only use two of the three mounts on the swingarm...the two forward holes...and adjusted the angle. I've had no issues with that modification. You just have to get creative.

I agree on the lower gearing being way more useful off road. I'd hate this bike without the 13/47 or 14/50 gear for my adventures. I limit myself to about 55 mph for longer pavement sections. I do as little pavement as necessary, but on my trips out west, I have to do a little pavement from camp or back to camp in many scenarios. I would avoid interstates at all cost.

I'd also add that I now use a Hot Foot Moto rear guide and front rub blocks and used part of the stock aluminum rear guide plates for my setup.
I checked the fit of the rear chain guide and the chain guard last night against my current 47T rear sprocket. It was a tight fit in both cases. It appears that the chain guide would have to be modified, as you've done, and I'm wondering, will the chain guard have to come off? There seems to be less than 1/4 inch clearance with my 47 now.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Somewhere on this forum, someone said the largest size rear sprocket that would fit the chain guard. I think it was 48, but not positive. I don't think it worked with my 49.

I think this is the thread
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...existant-7615/

Quick Reply: Any "issues" with a 50T rear sprocket?