The Anvil..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh yes, the brutal butt killing seat. Best bet, spend the $300 and get the seat re-done by Renazco. Heard only good things about them. As for me, I try my best to mental block the pain. KLX seat is okay for those 30 miles or less trips. Anything over, and the butt starts to become sore.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

i thought the stock (06) seat was too soft for my 190lb butt, fine when I first sat or while offroad riding mostly standing. But would sink in and feel like i was on the seat pan on any sit down ride. Bought a new shaped foam from guts in the CRF honda foam. Firmer but much better, or more like what I'm used to.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 11-03-2009, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
Yea I did some standing up but my bars need to come up a bit so I am not hunched over them. I am only 5'11" so i did not think I would need risers.
I will be doing mostly slab so standing all the time will probably not be best option.
Right now the scenario I have in my head is orderign the suzuki gell seat that lowers by about an inch for the GF's sf then when I get that installed I will have a spare seat pan to send to renazco. Bonus is I will be able to sell either bike with the stock seat and offer up the custom seat here.

RE Renazco covers. right now it looks like bike will live in my buisness storage out of the weather but Guam sun and rain are brutal. Would the suade stand up to rain and sun well? I am thinking no after reading their site but wondering what others have done.

Cheers, Jim
PWI-915
I've heard good reports from people who own the suede version. They say it's really easy to clean, but most of those people park their bike in a garage. If the bike sets outside much I'd be skeptacle. Renazco supposedly seals the upper layer of foam to prevent rotting, but I'd be worried about the constant exposure to alternating sun and rain. The trade of is that the marine vinyl obviously won't breath as well as the suede.

I love the vinyl because my bike stays outside under a cover and we get a lot of rain and humidity. The vinyl is really low maintenance in that regard. Just wipe it off and ride. It has held-up for 3 years and counting

Careful on those Guam roads when they're wet. The coral dust will make your ride really exciting.

Last edited by tremor38; 11-03-2009 at 05:07 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
I hear those are effective from a long distance, comfort standpoint. I also hear they take some getting used to when you're cornering though..not really planted feel to it.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Tremor
Thanks for the evaluation. I think I will save the $ and go with marine vinyl as the building I keep the bike in is humid and on the beach. Its the slime on the coral roads that gets you. You must have been stationed here at one time. I had a 250 when I got here with the Navy in 92. Sold it around late 94 or 95. At the time most of the island was coral roads and when there was just a dusting of rain it was so slick that laid the bike over once at a red light after comeing to a complete stop and putting my foot down. Foot went one way and bike went the other. Now most of the coral(but not all) has been replaced with regular blacktop. Hey if you ever get TDY over here let me know. I would loan you the bike for a little while just so you could give me a good evaluation.
Cheers Jim

Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frontier
I put just over 100 miles on the bike this weekend.
Now I know why you guys refer to the KLX seat as "The Anvil".
owwwww
Now I did see the excellent post that added a gel and memory foam pad insert but that looks like major surgery. Guess I'm just going to hope things toughen up a bit. No pain no gain.
dude these seat are great! try riding an mx bike. even all my mates on the drz400e want my seat.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
dude these seat are great! try riding an mx bike. even all my mates on the drz400e want my seat.
Great compared to a DRZ? Yeah, that's something to write home about

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya their pretty good compared to trials bike seats too. Sorry couldn't resist.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

bloke who rides a KTM525 jumped on my bike and said it was a lounge chair

Quick Reply: The Anvil..