The Anvil..

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default The Anvil..

I put just over 100 miles on the bike this weekend.
Now I know why you guys refer to the KLX seat as "The Anvil".
owwwww
Now I did see the excellent post that added a gel and memory foam pad insert but that looks like major surgery. Guess I'm just going to hope things toughen up a bit. No pain no gain.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

LMAO!
Good For You. Paying Your Due's

Old 11-02-2009, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I did 100+miles today, no prob. I think the more you ride the tougher your a$$ gets.

When I was a kid we rode all day on a hard plastic BMX seat. no padding at all.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 AM
1st Gear Member

I did first 66 miles sunday on my new to me KLX and am thinking something needs to be done about the seat. I remember seeing a thread where someone put a $180 Suzuki standard stock gel seat on with a little bit of relocation of the clips. That looks like a good option for me to look into. Also lowers the seat height by 1" so if I order the seat and I can figure out how to mount it on an KLX250sm that and a couple lowering links just might do it for the GF. Little low on discresionary funding right now after buying 2 bikes so will have to sit it out for a while. Got a list of mods/things to buy for the bike/bikes going in my head. Afraid to put it down in print.
Cheers, Jim
PWI-919

Old 11-02-2009, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Frontier
I put just over 100 miles on the bike this weekend.
Now I know why you guys refer to the KLX seat as "The Anvil".
owwwww
Now I did see the excellent post that added a gel and memory foam pad insert but that looks like major surgery. Guess I'm just going to hope things toughen up a bit. No pain no gain.
Here's an option that will transform the comfort of your seat, but it's not cheap.

I sent the stock pan into www.renazco.com and had them work their magic. Seat comfort is no longer an issue, but I shelled out $300.00 just for the basic model with marine vinyl cover. Want suede or different colors? Be prepared to spend more. They normally have a waiting list, so they give you a 'build date' to send the pan in by to minimize down time. I just found a used seat pan.

I do a lot of pavement miles, so it's well worth it. Not everyone is willing to spend that much money on a seat. With the type of riding I do, I'd have to rank it amoung the top 2 or 3 mods I've done to the bike....and the list is much longer than what's in the sig.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Get off you ***.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I hated the seat on my 09 at first but now I've either gotten used to it or the foam has broken in some, doesn't bother me any more. I've heard that one low cost option is padded bicycle shorts. I mostly stand up off-road but that doesn't always work when your on the slab for extended periods.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yea I did 700 miles in 3 days, and I was standing half the time. Baaaaaruuuuuuutaaaaaaal!!!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I prefer to eat lots of beans and use the air cushion approach, just stay up wind laddies

Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Yea I did some standing up but my bars need to come up a bit so I am not hunched over them. I am only 5'11" so i did not think I would need risers.
I will be doing mostly slab so standing all the time will probably not be best option.
Right now the scenario I have in my head is orderign the suzuki gell seat that lowers by about an inch for the GF's sf then when I get that installed I will have a spare seat pan to send to renazco. Bonus is I will be able to sell either bike with the stock seat and offer up the custom seat here.

RE Renazco covers. right now it looks like bike will live in my buisness storage out of the weather but Guam sun and rain are brutal. Would the suade stand up to rain and sun well? I am thinking no after reading their site but wondering what others have done.

Cheers, Jim
PWI-915

Quick Reply: The Anvil..