(Another) tire question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default (Another) tire question

Hey all, running trakmaster II's front and rear..I do 90% off road. As little road as possible

Rear is awesome, hooks up in anything but is soft and fast (er) wearing, but I'm cool with that..

Front is a different story... it's an "ok" tire.. it washes out alot, and feels very squirrelly on anything soft. Not too much wear tho.

What's people using on the front? I've heard some good things about the intermediate terrain fronts, but looking for some first hand experiences before swapping it out..
Looking for a point and shoot tire..

Thanks!

Last edited by Dash8; 07-04-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I like the pirelli scorpion xcmh, doesn't slide sideways like the trackmaster II.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:25 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Over some years now, I've been very happy with the Trakmaster on the rear. I've tried a bunch of others over time but don't find any better than the affordable Trakmaster and wear is quite good for a DOT knobby on the rear.

I found the same thing on the front Trakmaster...mediocre traction and side **** break down. The best front tire I've found to this point is the Kenda Parker Desert. This tire has awesome traction and outstanding wear. Oddly I didn't like the rear Parker as much as the Trakmaster. I use my KLX in some pretty harsh places all over the western U.S. I'll be staying with these two tires as long as they make them. I used to think it didn't really matter whether they were DOT rated or not from a legal standpoint, but I've run into two different fed's in Canyonlands UT and Bryce UT who actually wanted to look at my tires. Dipwads.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

You can't just ask what's a good tire without saying exactly what terrain you ride on. Maybe some more info? I run the Trakmaster on rear and love it. Won't use it on the rear cuz they are known to wash out. I ride a lot of sand, and my next front will be the Southwick, which guys around me love this tire up front in the soft stuff.

BTW, you'll go through 2 or 3 rear tires to each front tire. Front tires don't wear as quick.

Here's a quick way to compare Kenda tires. I love Kenda's cuz they are all DOT fronts and cheap, also a quality tire. If your paying more than $57 bucks shipped, look around. Amazon has good prices.
Kenda Tire | Powersports | Find a Tire

Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Fair enough! Terrain around here runs mostly sandy/loose dirt, some rocks and mud. This summer has been almost exclusively loose loam, sand and dirt...

As I said the rear TM is fantastic.. not too impressed with the front.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Dash, sounds like the same terrain I run most of the time. You may want to look into maybe the Southwick tire. Everyone around here raves about it, even the enduro racers I know that run sandy loamy terrain. It's what I'm getting in the next few weeks for sure. You can click on that link I posted for more info on all the Kenda tires. They list in order from soft sand, mud terrain to hard packed. Best price I've seen this tire for front is $54 bucks shipped.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Werloc
Dash, sounds like the same terrain I run most of the time. You may want to look into maybe the Southwick tire. Everyone around here raves about it, even the enduro racers I know that run sandy loamy terrain. It's what I'm getting in the next few weeks for sure. You can click on that link I posted for more info on all the Kenda tires. They list in order from soft sand, mud terrain to hard packed. Best price I've seen this tire for front is $54 bucks shipped.
I've looked into the Southwick, but it seems like everyone is saying the original Southwick, not the II, was way better?

Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, they are all using the new ones, can't get the old anymore, they replaced it. I'm just saying what I know, and after "my" research, what "I" choose to get. Not sayin you should run out and get it. Your doing what I did, reading, researching, asking others, etc. This is what everyone should do when choosing something they're unsure of. Michelin AC10 is another front tire I'd consider for "myself" since I will be riding more rocky terrain in the future. Hmm, desitions desitions......LOL

Last edited by Werloc; 07-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:04 AM
1st Gear Member

The AC10 is also nice, but wear much faster than the pirelli scorpion xcmh.
There's a lot more front tire that are DOT than rear tire. Since you run in soft terrain maybe you'd like the scorpion xcms better.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the Scorpion and didn't like it at all. Terrible for my terrain. Even the Dunlop D606 which is on my bike now from PO. It sucks big time. They are more for harder terrain which doesn't do well where I ride, period.

Here, the Scorpion xcmh is a mid to hardpacked tire. Not what we're lookin for at all.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...o-Hard-Terrain

Last edited by Werloc; 07-05-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: (Another) tire question