Another one "drank the Kool-Aid"

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Update after fracturing my ankle SIX STINKING DAYS AFTER SCHOOL ENDED! Shot the snot out of June sitting with my foot up to control swelling and watching TCM and some baseball... then an air cast, going to the PPG Goodguys Streetrod Nationals in Columbus and finally getting to ride the 250 again at Mid Ohio Vintage days putzing around.

It still had that sort of miss like hesitation at about 6000 and up, knew it was lean, because pulling the enrichener **** added a bit of fuel and it would go away. I also did the regulator grounding thing just in case, but no dice - still the little surge. So I ordered the KLX300 needle and a 128 or 125 jet, I forget. I think the jet in it was like a 118 if my eyes saw it right, didn't really care, it will get lost and forgotten.

The stuff laid around on the shelf for over a month... like I couldn't do it while out of school and not able to ride. But I didn't.

I got off my butt today and actually did the work... been riding the 650 to school the last couple days, give the kids something to talk about... "You ride that dirt bike to school?" It was fun, but I wanted to do the 250 to ride it too and to be prepared to go play.

Good things happened and bad thing happened.

Bad first. I sat the tank down, a bit of gas seeped out the cap - ate the lousy paint off the front of the tank! Nice paint, Kawasaki! Anyone else have this sort of thing happen? Now I have to paint it this winter - sucks.

Now the good. Stuck in the jet and needle, buttoned it up and, as usual, it fired up near instantly, went off choke in about 1/4 mile (I could have shut it off sooner, but forgot). The bike pulls fine, can't say great after riding the 650 - that pulls great! Smooth pull all the way up. No hesitation at 6000, pulls fine to 8000 and more. When I turned around to return, I kind of hit it a bit hard. Lifted the front wheel fairly decently, considering I sit forward, then caught some air again hitting second. A better wheelie person could probably do well. Fairly good for no header, just the MCM, jetting, and Dial-A-Jet.

I'm happy with the results. Now to do a run of with my brother on his 06 with the same carb mods and a full 300 exhaust. It would make a fun geared up supermoto over in the east, I have the 39T rear and a 16T CS if I can fit it. Hopefully will be a fun off roader over there too as it is with the 13/47. We'll see later this fall.

Now I figure it's time to try the pipe, get a gasket and do it.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

My tank did same exact thing other day your not alone there. Paint bubbled right up and off it

Old 08-17-2014, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

You'd think they would use something a bit more impervious to the solvents in gasoline. I think I'll get some of the catalyzed 2K paint from Eastwood - in a rattle can to do it over. Maybe go with red.

I want to see if I can get one of the paint shakers shown at the end of their video.