Alpine star tech 7

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Alpine star tech 7

Hi All,

Just got my Alpine star tech 7 boots and tried them out yesterday. I have never riden in boots before (have only riden about 10 hours total on bikes)
These boots seem super stiff and dont know how many times i missed gears, hit netural and locked up the back wheel.
I guess they take a while to get used to. I have adjusted the gear lever up one tooth on the spline to see if that helps changing up.
If you guys have any advice on riding position i would love to here it.
I am sure these boots will be an ankle saver when i do come off (just a matter of time) but the first ride with them seemed awkward as hell.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Just ride around the yard in them in your spare time. I've only been riding a few months, and I'm getting a lot better in my boots. I have my dad's hand-me-down Answer Racing clunky ginormo-boot (its that same boot everybody wears, different brands). Just takes some getting used to.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't shift with your ankle raise your whole leg. Boots are nice, they are protective, keep out wind and water, and the pegs wont chew them up (or kicker).
________
Volcano vaporizers

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the same boots and when they are broken in they are great. You'll love them. Put the boots on and stand upright. Bend at the knees like you are doing squats and slightly lean forward. Do this about a 100 times (while standing on the ground, not on the bike). Really try and flex the boot at the ankle. This will get the ankle section of the boot broken in and you'll notice an immediate improvement the next time you ride.

Last edited by markcr; 10-21-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by markcr
Really try and flex the boot at the ankle.
There are two schools of thought on this. "to flex or not to flex'.

I'm of the school "not to flex". Reason for this is part of the reason you wear these boots is for ankle support and protection. If something happens and it wants to twist your ankle off into oblivion, the force is divided up unto the lower half of your leg and its no big deal. If your ankle is allowed to bend all the force will go there. Same with your foot and toes.

There was this one time I was on my 5-hundy and I hit this huge 35 lb gooner rock with my left foot. This sounds so stupid but...if I didn't have nice, freshly tight riding boots on, theres no doubt my entire left foot would have been broken so badly .......... well, I don't know what. I'm not an orthopedist so I don't know if just would have required extensive reconstructive surgery or if it would have had to of been cut off or what. But I can tell you it wouldn't have been good.
________
**** videos

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah. . . for me, shifting has become a foot-off-peg event. It's the only way I CAN shift wearing these boots. I rode (in the dirt) without MX boots and sure enough, I injured tendons and calf muscles in my right leg when the bike ended up on top of me at only about 15-17 mph going down some steep, nasty trail! Do I ride with MX boots now? Damn right, I do. I have noticed that SOME boots have a thinner toebox that would allow easier access to the underside of the shift lever. That's going to be the major criteria when I purchase my next pair!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Once you get used to them...you won't ride without them. They give you that secure feeling..and riding in workboots or sneakers afterwards just feels awkward and unsafe. I find having them fastened a little loose helps a great deal...don't fasten them as tight as you can, but rather only fasten the, to the point the buckles close easily. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah and when i upshift, I kinda lift up with the knee.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I would have broken my ankle dozens of times on Sunday if it weren't for the Scott boots I was wearing. My feet were planted hard and fast many times due to the fact I was on some technical trails that were way over my skill level.

Boots help. As others said, you'll get used to it. Apply more pressure, and move your feet out on the pegs just a hair so you don't bump gears/brakes.

Mine are stiff, but I love them. I don't walk in them, I RIDE in them.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an old pair of Roger Decoster boots that I am going to resurrect. Even after not riding for 18 years I can't get used to riding in work boots. I just feel naked without them....hey maybe that's why all those people stare at me!

Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all your replys. Looks like practice is the answer. Cheers