Airbox, EFI, wut?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Airbox, EFI, wut?

So.. I keep hearing about how you people do things to your airbox..?

Being in Borneo it's not practical for me to get a KX box, which seems to be popular (I could look, but it would mean ebay and stupid, stupid postage)

I can't afford a new exhaust right now, but wondering what would happen if I played with the airbox, bearing in mind my bike is the fuel injection version?

Does that mean I don't have to worry about jetting, because the EFI will figure things out for itself, or does it mean I can't do anything until I ALSO get a new CDI or whatever, plus a new exhaust?

??

And it I were to do such things, what to do? Just remove some cover? Drill more holes?

??

Old 06-16-2016, 06:33 AM
1st Gear Member

right now mine 2009 EFI model is running without the snorkel in the air box without any problems. so you can mod the air box alone no problem

if you later also do an exhaust you should get something like at power commander, EJK fuel controller or the like

Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, it is not getting a different air box. It is getting a different snorkel should you ride through enough water that it might splash in on the air filter if the snorkel is removed. In that case it is getting the KDX200/220 snorkel, p/n 14073-1577

Significantly more intake space. I calculated the opening on the KDX and it is as big as the boot between the air box and carburetor, which I take for granted is the similar size as the one on the EFI. So it should pass adequate air, yet channel any water that may splash in, behind the filter instead of on it.

Not needed if the bike is mainly on road or relatively water free riding.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm, I do plenty of off-road and river crossings, so some form of snorkel sounds good...

I see a couple on Ebay at the moment, but as expected the postage is crazy to here.

So what sort of results does one get, by freeing up the air intake?

More torque?
More top end?
Just more noise?

?

I've never seen the filter box on this as it's a new bike, but if it's anything like the (bananas) KLX150 you have to take most of the bike apart to get to it?

Old 06-16-2016, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Freer breathing, less restriction at mid-higher rpm, richen jetting on carbed bikes, but EFI should easily compensate, giving more power. Just think of covering up half your breathing while trying to run... that's what the small snorkel is going to your bike engine. That stock snorkel is about 1/2 the area of the KDX200/220 snorkel.

Just buy one at a Kawasaki dealer, they are not. €25.80 at Motorcyclespareparts.eu or buy one at your local dealership, supporting local business and not paying any shipping. Not worth messing with ebay.

Last edited by klx678; 06-16-2016 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

For some reason I was thinking they were defunct and one needed to find 2nd hand..

Thank you very much for the link

Is there anything complicated about fitting, or just cleanly replaces the stock part?

Old 06-17-2016, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

It is a perfect fit - aka tight and tough to get in. I'd put the snorkel in some hot water to soften it up a bit, then install. I'm thinking even hot tap water in a sink would work to soften it up a fair amount. Just make sure you put it in the right way, no need to do it twice.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Cheers

Old 11-01-2016, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

I have now ordered that part...

Old 11-01-2016, 03:26 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you gave it plenty of time to make an informed decision...LOL!

Quick Reply: Airbox, EFI, wut?