Air Filter problems Replace or wash and oil? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally
Default Air Filter problems Replace or wash and oil? Help?

Hey folks, my bike was suddenly cutting out while riding after it warmed up and after a ton of wasted effort chasing my tail exploring possible fuel and electrical issues I realized that what was really killing my diagnostic skills was a couple disintegrating vacuum caps in conjuction with an overly wet/dirty filter. I cleaned out the existing filter with hot water and soap, dried it, stuck it on, confirmed the diagnosis. So now I have an issue with whether or not I replace, or reoil the filter.

I bought my bike slightly used and don't believe I have replaced the filter, it has under 3000miles. The filter in the bike is a yellowish foam that has a black rubbery foam lip that sits into the lip in the air box. It has a white plastic frame it sits on with the wingnut anchor. It appeared to have a good amount of a reddish oil on it that I suspect is the reason it clogged so quickly.

Question 1. Would this be the original air filter, or an aftermarket unifilter or similar?

Question 2. Regardless of if it's original or aftermarket, Can I just buy some uni-oil, spray this one down again now that it's clean and dry and continue riding on it or do I need to replace it? (assuming of course that the description matches that of the original or a uni-filter and it can be washed/and oiled.)

Old 07-31-2015, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

That is the original filter. Just re-oil it with filter oil. Get some throwaway gloves and some old plastic, that filter oil is real sticky.
Then put a cup under the filter box hose when you stop, unless you want that oil gunk on your garage floor and the cat will bring it into the house, then your sweetie will get mad and then you'll be out riding cause there is a big thing going on at home.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
That is the original filter. Just re-oil it with filter oil. Get some throwaway gloves and some old plastic, that filter oil is real sticky.
Then put a cup under the filter box hose when you stop, unless you want that oil gunk on your garage floor and the cat will bring it into the house, then your sweetie will get mad and then you'll be out riding cause there is a big thing going on at home.
Thanks for the info sir, I'll be seeking out that oil pronto! Sadly I work through the weekend, so I guess I won't be riding to work this weekend. IIRC the last time I did a filter with oil I managed to do it without too much mess, but my garage is removed from the house, so as long as I clean me up before coming in, no worries about the pets tracking it in!

Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 AM
1st Gear Member

YOu can use common oil or the like if you NEED the bike, but then do air filter oil as soon as possible. We used straight weight non-detergent on our filters when I started riding in 1971. Not quite as technical back then...

Usually cleaning the filter requires solvent to cut the oil, but there are some oils now that are biodegradable and washable with water and soap.

You could get another filter, oil it up, put it in a plastic bag, and swap between them when you need to switch out. It also makes it so you have a filter should you tear one. Time to order a new one.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member
Default bar oil, motor oil

Originally Posted by klx678
YOu can use common oil or the like if you NEED the bike, but then do air filter oil as soon as possible. We used straight weight non-detergent on our filters when I started riding in 1971. Not quite as technical back then...

Usually cleaning the filter requires solvent to cut the oil, but there are some oils now that are biodegradable and washable with water and soap.

You could get another filter, oil it up, put it in a plastic bag, and swap between them when you need to switch out. It also makes it so you have a filter should you tear one. Time to order a new one.
Thanks for the tips, I was reading up in ADV rider and it looks like a lot of guys regularly just use motor oil or also chainsaw bar oil (which is especially tacky to keep it on the bar of the chainsaw) I was thinking I would try the latter since I have some and hardly ever use my chainsaw, but here's a question, how often do you guys typically have to clean your air filters? I'm more used to cars where it's 10's even 100's of thousands of miles between cleanings. 3000 miles for a total plug up seemed very quick to me but maybe it's typical for bikes with the oiled filters?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

If you like to follow close on dirty dusty dirt trails, once every 3 rides. If it is the baha, once a day would be good.
I am a distant follower, if it is dusty, I follow way back. I usually clean mine every oil change or 1/2 oil change. But I do a lot of riding by myself.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I do mine every week. But I ride almost everyday with friends and not on the street. Easy enough to do. I'm big on preventive maintainance anyway. I have filters oiled up in plastic bags ready to go.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 AM
1st Gear Member

By the way, a box of 100 latex gloves from Harbor Freight for under $10, well worth it for doing this job for sure.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:44 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

For 90% of the riders out there, motor oil works just fine. I'd recommend non-detergent 30wt instead of additive laced, detergent, motor oils. It's easier on the foam and glue present in a foam filter, and it's available at nearly every auto parts store. The one area where many of the "race" quality air filter oils is superior is the ability to shed water. I used to race enduros. I had to go wherever the course took me. And you know many sadistic race organizers loved to run you through creeks and such to challenge you. Water shedding was critical there. I don't have to go piling off into the water at speed anymore and haven't really needed the extreme water shedding capability of those oils. 30wt non-detergent has been working fine for me. If your bike will be doing submarine duty, buy the race oil for foam.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Any more, a can of spray oil isn't that horribly expensive at a shop and with the spray you don't waste much. I think my can is like 8 years old and still doing filters.

I'd only use motor oil if it was not possible to grab a can of filter oil at a shop and I needed it for the immediate future. Otherwise get the gummy spray stuff... and the latex gloves.