Aftermarket CDI with selectable timing curve

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Aftermarket CDI with selectable timing curve

I was doing some research on mods I wanted to do on my KLX, and stumbled across this CDI: KLX CDI module

Anyone tried this out?

Old 01-05-2016, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I read somewhere that somebody tested it and found no difference. Not sure if they dyno'd with and without, but I seem to recall that they did some pretty good testing and found no benefits.

I think this is it: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...x-37214/page2/

I read some of the thread again, and RayCour is the one who introduced the product, then made a posting that showed the product produces no increase in power. Good to see vendors putting valid info out there, rather than putting some BS dyno curves. It sounds like a viable alternative to buying a stock one, though, since I think it's cheaper?

Last edited by rgmr250; 01-05-2016 at 04:10 AM. Reason: added a line
Old 01-05-2016, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh man that's awesome, thanks for sharing that thread.

Any ride reports from members with 351's and these CDIs? Worth it?

Old 01-05-2016, 01:30 PM
1st Gear Member

RayCour tested the results on a automotive dyno - so his results are suspect... His module allows a wide variance of user-selectable advance settings and curves - All us old drag racers know that altering the total advance/advance curve makes a quite noticeable change in power output and TRQ ramp-up.. Someone needs to do a complete, before and after, dyno test on a proper motorcycle dyno..Using, say 40° total, all in at about 5k ...?

Old 01-05-2016, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't quite understand why the dyno would be suspect. Tire on a drum spinning the drum. Measurement is the same method. Perhaps someone can enlighten me on it. If a bike dyno can measure 300 hp why can a car dyno not measure 25 hp? May take a bit more to spin it up, but the mechanics and measure are the similar set ups. He must know that it should work otherwise I think he would have said so.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes I agree, I don't think the dyno is suspect. I do think that we need more info to better understand the potential improvement through more dyno runs of various setups.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, this has been discussed before in here - regarding the testing of Ray's module on an automotive dyno - Something about the lack of capability of an auto dyno to accurately measure (resolve) small variances in power levels that are outside (far below) its' intended use - This is why motorcycles have motorcycle dyno's.. It is not that an automotive dyno can't measure 25hp, obviously it can - but "coarse resolution" at such low power levels is the issue.. If yall need more, I'll get the facts and figures regarding the reasons why there are motorcycle dynos and automobile dynos..

Old 01-06-2016, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I personally feel Rays module will do for our KLX exactly what ignition tweaking does for all engines - small change in the power curves and the peak TRQ number which combine to create a significant difference when you're "in the saddle"..

Old 01-06-2016, 04:36 PM
1st Gear Member

The question I have, and had back then was, how do we know what the timing of the bikes really is, N.American vs Australian?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, as for nuances in dyno work, the fact is unless runs are made on the same dyno, variables can make reading comparison apples to oranges. One reason some of the media will use the same dynos for all testing. So single reading claims can be questionable. There has to be a benchmark run before modifications if the differences are relatively small. Now going from a 180 hp V-8 to a hop up that will pump it to 380 hp it will be pretty clear that there are real gains.

I would also venture to guess the main reason for motorcycle specific dynos would be size. The bike dyno will be way smaller foot print in a shop. I guess the internals and drum weights would have to be compared to see what real differences may be.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CDI with selectable timing curve