After market Speedometers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member
Default After market Speedometers?

Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum, just picked up a KLX for cheap the other day. (I'm currently looking for a bottom end so if you have one for sale let me know. I posted in classifieds about it.) I've been looking to get into a dual sport for a while and picked a 94 off the side of the road for cheap. Its in great shape but as stated before needs some engine work.
But looking into the future. It has already been registered on the road so that's not my issue. It doesn't appear to have ever been inspected. At least there are no stickers on it now. And I think this is because its missing a speedometer. That seems to be the only thing preventing it from passing (other than it not running). It has a cable driving odometer on it that appears to go up to either 999 miles or 99.9 miles. Do any of you know of a good aftermarket speedometer? Possibly one out that could utilized the cable that is already there?

any help is greatly appreciated and like i said I'm in the market for a bottom end so let me know if you have a working one your willing to sell!
Thanks

-jake

Old 05-28-2015, 02:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

If you are going to go to an aftermarket speedo, you probably don't want to mess with that archaic cable drive dinosaur. Get a Trailtech or similar product that will provide all the data you might want for a decent price and can be swapped to just about any bike later.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
If you are going to go to an aftermarket speedo, you probably don't want to mess with that archaic cable drive dinosaur. Get a Trailtech or similar product that will provide all the data you might want for a decent price and can be swapped to just about any bike later.
Not a bad idea at all. I looked into trail tech and they got decent prices and they look solid.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Do you know if they come with a sensor to put on the wheel or how does that work?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

There is a magnet that gets attached to the rotor.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Will your DMV accept a GPS for speedo purposes? They are cheap, vastly more accurate than any cable-driven speedo, and can double as a.....wait for it....navigational aid.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Something just struck me on this thread...if I understand the OP correctly. His local authorities won't pass an inspection on a 1994 dual sport bike because of an odometer? It's a freakin' old, cheap motorcycle...not a Ferrari. Government big and small never ceases to display its disconnect with reality.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by anciano
Will your DMV accept a GPS for speedo purposes? They are cheap, vastly more accurate than any cable-driven speedo, and can double as a.....wait for it....navigational aid.
Hahaha No. Way. Yeah i was wondering myself if i could get away with that not entirely sure on the law.

Originally Posted by TNC
Something just struck me on this thread...if I understand the OP correctly. His local authorities won't pass an inspection on a 1994 dual sport bike because of an odometer? It's a freakin' old, cheap motorcycle...not a Ferrari. Government big and small never ceases to display its disconnect with reality.
Yeah its a f'n joke. There's a good chance might just say to hell with the inspection and just go. I'm mainly going to use it for trails anyway. I just need the road to get from trail to trail.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

The trail tech is nice. I have one on the KLX and one to install on the KDX.

I've also heard of riders using bicycle speedo units that operate similarly and for less money. Not sure if any have odometers.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I was thinking of this one: http://www.trailtech.net/022-tm
Its technically for a 2000 because the years on their site dont go any earlier. Im guessing it would still work though.

The bike speedometers not a bad idea. I already have a little mechanical trip odometer on it. it only goes up to 999 but I mean technically i think that would still pass for inspection.

Quick Reply: After market Speedometers?