ADV vs MX helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ADV vs MX helmet

So I run a fly trekker adv full visor helmet. Very comfy, but this time of year, rainy and humid, it fogs up and beads water pretty good.

Anyone run with a MX helmet and goggles? I'm thinking that because you're not breathing into the Googles(like a full visor), they should stay fairly fog /condensation free on the inside?

Anyone have a MX helmet and Goggle recommendation?
Not looking for anything stupid priced, and I'd be wearing it pretty well exclusively on the trail, so DOT is preferable but not 100% necessary.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Goggles can fog too. You have to keep moving at a decent clip to keep them clear, so it's not all a win-win. If you race, goggles are a necessity for various reasons, of course. For the best ventilation get some over-the-glasses goggles even if you don't wear glasses. They actually don't look dorky and most people won't even know you're wearing OTG goggles. They have more breathable foam area for less fogging...at least the ones I used.

Helmets?...almost too many variables and preference to mention.

I used goggles for decades, and I'm pretty much through with them since I don't race enduros or MX anymore. I don't have to ride on someone's wheel in the dust, mud, and rocks anymore trying to pass them. Riding in a group, we can just comfortably allow a gap to avoid all that now. A good dual sport helmet and eye protection in the form of clear or dark shades is all I use anymore. When the trail slows down, I flip the shield up. When it speeds up to a point, down comes the shield. But people are different. Give goggles a try and see how it works for you.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I have both, an AFX FX-39 DS helmet with visor and shield, and a FOX V2 MX helmet used with goggles. Yes, both fog up the same, no difference there at all. I use the MX helmet with goggles in warm and hot weather to get airflow to my face, and the DS helmet with shield in cold weather to keep cold air off my face. As far as fogging, they are both the same, maybe a little less with the DS cuz I ride with the shield just cracked open a hair to vent, then close it up once cleared. There are 2 things that cause fogging. One is from your breath, and other is from heat/sweat from your head/face. Mine is always from sweating, I sweat all the time, hot or cold. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Werloc; 09-29-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Ive never fogged my goggles ever, get a pair that have vents in the top of the lense and make sure they are dual pane

Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Only benefit to a dual sport helmet is when it rains or gets cold. Rain stings like bbs hitting your face when road riding - the only reason I bought a dual sport helmet. When there is little to no chance of rain I use an MX helmet. When it gets serious cold it's a street helmet. So I use all three types.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I use a MX bucket.. And Scott goggles..
The key is to breathe tru your mouth when just sitting and once air is moving your fine.. My .02

Old 10-02-2016, 11:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I have both. ADV most of the time, MX for Single track and mud & dust. ADV is easy and convenient.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ADV for me. Much better vision, wide lens. It's nice to flip up the tinted visor depending on sunny or not.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a pinlock visor in my helmet. It works well to eliminate fogging. However, at night it causes "stars" around streetlights.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an MX helmet and prefer it because it's so light and simple.

Plus, if you also own a moped nothing says white trash quite like a moped, a dirt bike helmet, and a milk crate on the back with an 18 pack of Milwaukee's Best.

I get more thumbs up and party time with that rig that I would with a Panigale and a cask of amontillado.

Forget what you know about cool, because a two speed Sachs motor is the bossest power plant there is.

Quick Reply: ADV vs MX helmet