ADV 101: Using the KLX250s as an Adventure Bike (ARL's Motovlog)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default ADV 101: Using the KLX250s as an Adventure Bike (ARL's Motovlog)

Hey everybody, I'm baaaack! Well, sort of. I figured some of you might be curious what I'm up to now, and what came out of all that 'Mod of the Week' stuff.

I had always intended to use my KLX for long distance ADV riding, since I'm out in Colorado, it's almost a necessity to use a 'light' dualsport for extended backcountry trips, unless you want to be stuck on the pavement.

After finishing my build around this time last year, I took the bike out for two extended trips. Right now I'm working on a video series telling that narrative, from the origins of my bike, to modifying it, to becoming and ADV rider. Figured I'd post them here.

This episode goes over the structure of the series. Basically, it's divided into story and lessons learned.

Here, I tell the story of how I got into motorcycling in the first place.

The first lesson, where I describe the experience of Adventure Riding, and why we do it.

The second lesson, where I describe how bikes are classified and what they're best suited for.

The story of my bike's origins, and the experience of customizing it.

The third lesson, basically everything you should know about your bike and about yourself before you take it out for protracted trips.

The story of how I got to Grand Junction, and why I chose it for a 'test' trip.

The first time I rode with someone other than my brother. A very talented guy out of GJ.

Thoughts on all the people I've met through doing this whole motovlogging thing. The different cultural aspects of Dual Sport riding, and a bit on why I chose the KLX with extensive customization, over say a race bike.

More to come later. Oh, and a reminder, if you want stickers of my logo (the black ARL windrose in 3" clear vinyl circles), send me a message with your address. (they're free).

Old 04-30-2016, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Pretty cool stuff! When I get a minute I'll watch the videos and give some likes.