Acerbis tank is a top tier mod.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis tank is a top tier mod.

A couple of weeks ago I can across a great deal on an Acerbies 3.7 gallon tank. I bought it mostly due to the price. We're putting together longer dual sport rides so that now I am sometimes switching onto reserve while out in the woods. Living in Massachusetts means you're never too far from gas, but a few miles is still a long way to push.

Last week, before I mounted the tank, the bike tipped over in a rocky section and crushed the radiator. It didn't wind up leaking, but it easily could have. A leaking radiator is a serious problem if you're far from the pavement. Trust me, you're one drop from walking out. I got another radiator on eBay and while I mounted it up I added the tank.

In addition to basically doubling the amount of fuel I can carry the tank acts as a very strong radiator and frame protector. Where the tank shrouds pass over the frame and radiator is very vulnerable. The way the tank is made and structured gives it a lot of protective capacity. Since it has a box section it's very resistant to flex and the way it's supported is strong too. I cannot imagine any radiator guard being more effective.

After seeing first hand how vulnerable the radiators are I think if you're going to ride in the woods on technical terrain you need guards.

I also like the flair at the front of the tank, it gives you something to brace against, the stock bike is almost too narrow at times. The seat/tank junction doesn't change but there's a bit more flair to the front. I like it.

This tank provides crush protection, adds range and, I think, improves ergonomics. It's not perfect: You will need to fabricate the braces to mount the tank and clear the plumbing on the bike or at least modify the brackets that come with it, but this is easy. Some fuel is hard to get because it get's trapped in the wings, but not too much, just ride uphill on the way home.

I think this is an overlooked mod in some respects. If you're adding a tank and don't yet have guards I would recommend the Acerbies.

Last edited by taxonomy; 08-08-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Been using mine for 10 years without problems in some decently nasty riding conditions and lots of crashes. This tank is built like a tank and takes abuse without issue. One would think those wings would be easily damaged after a few crashes, but it isn't the case. After many years mine has only minor scratches and scuffs. I've had Acerbis tanks on other bikes over the years, and they just make good stuff.

I would not have minded having one of the smaller aftermarket tanks, but I travel out west in Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, and southern California. There have only been a few times I've limped back into camp on fumes on this 3.7 gal tank at the end of the day, but when I did, it beat walking out and/or spending the night out in the boonies. If you don't go out into the hinterlands on your bike for long stretches, then don't worry about it. If you do, this is the best insurance you can get.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

the larger tank is on the top of my current list before exhaust and power commander or re-flash
thinking before any more powwah i need more range

Old 08-10-2016, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

I use the Acerbis on my '12-before it was always in the back of my mind about range. Where I ride, you can be in some really deep trouble if you run dry but the added range makes my rides a blast. I agree about the added protection of the tank-I have had some pretty nasty offs and aside from some tweeked bars everything is still intact-me included.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Great write-up. I've been considering a larger tank lately and never thought once about radiator protection. Very inciteful, gives me something else consider. Thank you.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the IMS 3.1. Never really thought about rad protection until last Tuesday... A wet fallen tree made me bite it bad...chunks of sand and dirt in the plastics and lower tank area, but rads are perfect

Glad I got it, and the extra range is definitely eases the mind...

Old 08-25-2016, 08:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I also went the IMS tank and I like the significant range increase. Mine fit up without a hitch on my 09. As for radiator guards, I decided on emperor racing ones. I like the build quality and extra protection when unwillingly attempting no-hander-face-planters.