Acerbis Tank Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Acerbis Tank Bracket

I installed the Acerbis KLX250/300 3.7 gallon tank on my 2007 KLX250. Everything is fine except for the brackets that go from the bottom of the tank/shroud to the frame. The one bracket that has a factory bend mates up with the bolt where the bottom of the radiator mounts to the frame. The straight bracket doesn't seem to line up with anything on the frame. Am I right to think that both brackets should have bends in them as shown in the instructions? Did anyone have to bend their own brackets or did both come with the proper bends?

Thanks,
Craig

Old 11-04-2014, 04:51 AM
1st Gear Member

They should note that some additional bends may be required...

This is what I ended up with.

Attached Thumbnails Acerbis Tank Bracket-image.jpg   Acerbis Tank Bracket-att_1415080046249_image.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 09:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
They should note that some additional bends may be required...

This is what I ended up with.
yea, both of mine ended up with a twist in them like the 2nd picture. They both already had a 90* bend in them.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Old 11-04-2014, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by griffo1962
yea, both of mine ended up with a twist in them like the 2nd picture. They both already had a 90* bend in them.
ditto

Old 11-04-2014, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Good to know that both brackets came with 90 degree bends. I think if I had 90 bends on both brackets the little extra tweaking required wouldn't be hard. Anybody know if I can put a 90 bend in the straight piece without breaking it or weakening it?

Old 11-05-2014, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Mine came just like yours-I had to bend one of the brackets(the end with the round hole) on the vise and add a few curves. It's been holding up just fine, but I would suggest some blue loctite on the fasteners that go into the tank.

Last edited by GBAUTO; 11-05-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine came just like yours-I had to bend one of the brackets(the end with the round hole) on the vise and add a few curves. It's been holding up just fine, but I would suggest some blue loctite on the fasteners that go into the tank.

GBAUTO - did you ever have them back out without the loctite?

I did the blue loctite on the tank fasteners since first getting the tank. On and off a couple times without issue. When I went to take it apart a couple months ago, two of them were locked in there solid. The female part just spun in the tank. And then I found one on the KDX locked in too. Some guys said to use anti-seize and not loctite. I'm leaning to using anti-seize, checking them regularly, and as always keeping a few spare fasteners along in the tool bag.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 PM
1st Gear Member

So far I haven't had any issues. I suppose if you had a batch of threadlocker that was a bit to aggressive then it could be an issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
And anti-seize is just that-you had better have some type of mechanical lock to keep the fastener in place.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

So far I haven't had any issues. I suppose if you had a batch of threadlocker that was a bit to aggressive then it could be an issue. I'll keep my fingers crossed...
And anti-seize is just that-you had better have some type of mechanical lock to keep the fastener in place.

I don't think so on it being overly aggressive. I've used that tube on many, many bolts.

I put the anti-seize on and ran two hard days then check the bolts. All were still tight. But I certainly don't feel all that comfortable using it!

Quick Reply: Acerbis Tank Bracket