351 pumper first thoughts and ride..

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Smile 351 pumper first thoughts and ride..

So, after breaking in the new 351 (first 150 miles on stock carb and pipe), last 50 on tm36-68 rejetted and two bros slip on, here are my thoughts..

Install on the 351 was fairly easy... used this site ALOT (thanks guys! !) And of course Googled the hell out of it. Slow and steady made it happen, probably took 8 hous total, over 3-4 days, in between kids and beer

Rejetting was a breeze, installing carb was straightforward, needed some lovin' to get boots on tho. Cables (both) fit fine, just relocated over the valve cover...

Went into the dirt the first time on Sunday (after having done about 30 miles street on new setup). On way to meet the guys, she died for no reason at a stop sign. After a few minutes fiddling, she starts and I ride to get gas and meet the guys.

About 20 mins into the trail ( pretty deep into a qualrry) she dies AGAIN! Adjust idle (to about 2000rpm), Takes about 10 Mins, but she starts. Decide to cut and run, at least if she dies again it will be on street or close.

Runs perfect till I get to road. Decide to push my luck and go back into trail. Runs great for another 2 hours. Fan comes on a few times for about 30 sec each.

A little hard to start, but she lights up. Power is....well.... she is a completely different bike. Scramble up loose hill, hard to keep front tire on the ground. Blip throttle and nose comes up. MUCH easier to keep up with KLR650 on the road, and he complains that it's hard to keep up with the "little bike" on the trail! Lol

All in all, very happy! Ya, it's decent coin, but it awakens the dragon...seriously, it's a different bike!

Anyways, just letting people know...

Old 11-17-2015, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds similar to my experience without the stalling??? Fan coming on concerns me a bit. Are you sure she is not running a bit on the lean side? This would make it run hot, header may feel extremely hot, much more so than before. Curious about the 2BRO slip on, is it un-bearably loud or live-able. My next mod will be a slip-on and I'm still sitting on the fence as I don't want to draw too much attention. Nice to see ya still riding, mine got put to bed last week.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd love to ride one.

Why are you concerned with the fan coming on? My stock one will kick the fan on in slow traffic, or slow trail riding. Runs for 30 or so seconds, and stays off for awhile.

Once when I was stuck in road work for nearly an hour my bike got so freaking hot I thought it was going to melt itself or my leg.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ITHAPPENS
Sounds similar to my experience without the stalling??? Fan coming on concerns me a bit. Are you sure she is not running a bit on the lean side? This would make it run hot, header may feel extremely hot, much more so than before. Curious about the 2BRO slip on, is it un-bearably loud or live-able. My next mod will be a slip-on and I'm still sitting on the fence as I don't want to draw too much attention. Nice to see ya still riding, mine got put to bed last week.
Thought it was running lean also, but plug is black..if anything running rich..noticing now (but then again never looked before) that after a few minutes idling my header will glow red... Most say this is normal...my temperature stickers did not note anything on the motor or rad too high..

She stalled 2 times, than ran like a charm for the rest of the day...for now I'll chalk it up to too low an idle or maybe something in the carb than blew thru.

The 2 bros is loud... Pushing at least 96db... My buddy riding behind me said it wasn't bad, and I got used to it...you can cruise along with it not too loud...I do have to figure out the decal pop I'm getting tho, but I expected that

Originally Posted by toomanytoys84
I'd love to ride one.

Why are you concerned with the fan coming on? My stock one will kick the fan on in slow traffic, or slow trail riding. Runs for 30 or so seconds, and stays off for awhile.

Once when I was stuck in road work for nearly an hour my bike got so freaking hot I thought it was going to melt itself or my leg.

They are FUN!!!

We are just concerned with the bigger bore, etc, is she overheating...my header, at least, will glow red if I let it idle for a few minutes...

Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

It might be stalling from a float that isn't set correctly.

And my header would glow when it was lean, not so much now that it's been jetted.
Replace the plug and see what color it is after running it awhile. There's a big difference between a stock pipe and the 2Bro. Kind of like the difference between a soda straw and a garden hose.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Placed an order yesterday with Bill Blue for the 351 kit for my wife's KLX. Can't wait to get it installed! I'm having the work done by my dealer, this is more than I really want to get into myself.

My son has the kit on his KLX, he's had it for a couple of years now and put around 10K miles on it (hard miles, 90% dirt). He loves his, so I'm sure we'll enjoy it!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime
It might be stalling from a float that isn't set correctly.

And my header would glow when it was lean, not so much now that it's been jetted.
Replace the plug and see what color it is after running it awhile. There's a big difference between a stock pipe and the 2Bro. Kind of like the difference between a soda straw and a garden hose.
True...I pulled the plug right before I went to the two bros, and it was black...but the header would still glow with the old set up...went I get back home I'll have a look see...I have the richer jet anyways, just a pain in the *** to do it lol

Originally Posted by BillMoore
Placed an order yesterday with Bill Blue for the 351 kit for my wife's KLX. Can't wait to get it installed! I'm having the work done by my dealer, this is more than I really want to get into myself.

My son has the kit on his KLX, he's had it for a couple of years now and put around 10K miles on it (hard miles, 90% dirt). He loves his, so I'm sure we'll enjoy it!
It's night and day... You guys will love it... Did you /are you getting the pumper also?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
It's night and day... You guys will love it... Did you /are you getting the pumper also?
For now just doing the the 351 kit and bumping up the jets (already have a KDX200 snorkel, FMF Q4 and appropriate jetting for that installed).

The goal is to get her bike better able to keep up with mine on the highway. The problem is that now I won't be able to keep up with her offroad. Right now, I pull away from her on the straights, but she is right back on my tail as soon as we hit some corners...

Old 11-20-2015, 10:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I would be concerned about the glowing exhaust, it shouldn't do it. I would double check the exhaust valve clearance and cam timing, maybe ignition timing if adjustable on these bikes. I might even mess around with the jetting of the idle circuits. Again, I don't think it should be glowing.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I agree with Rock Hugger (but I'm no jetting expert). Maybe try swapping out the KDX snorkle for the original and see if it still glows, or block half of it off with duct tape. Also the popping you mention may be due to a slightly lean condition but could also be a small leak at pipe to header joint??? Thanks for the info on the 2Bros.

Quick Reply: 351 pumper first thoughts and ride..