351 install questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 351 install questions

Hi all, did the req searches but looking for a definitive answer to these questions...

1) I see some people remove and block off (with a bolt) the vacuum switch thingy just on front of the cylinder. Is this required, needed, or beneficial in any way?

2) when cams are removed, does the timing chain have to be kept taunt, or will letting it go slack (not dropping it in of course) make it come off whatever it is on down in the deep?

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2015, 02:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Hi all, did the req searches but looking for a definitive answer to these questions...

1) I see some people remove and block off (with a bolt) the vacuum switch thingy just on front of the cylinder. Is this required, needed, or beneficial in any way?

2) when cams are removed, does the timing chain have to be kept taunt, or will letting it go slack (not dropping it in of course) make it come off whatever it is on down in the deep?

Thanks!
1 - Not required. The primary benefits are cooler exhaust and pipes, and getting that smog equipment out of the way.

2 - The came chain doesn't need to be kept taught and it would be difficult to do so. If you do drop it, it's not that big of deal. Either fish it out or pull the cover, which I maintain isn't a bad thing because you'll get to inspect and clean your oil pickup screen. See pics in my 351 build thread.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
1 - Not required. The primary benefits are cooler exhaust and pipes, and getting that smog equipment out of the way.

2 - The came chain doesn't need to be kept taught and it would be difficult to do so. If you do drop it, it's not that big of deal. Either fish it out or pull the cover, which I maintain isn't a bad thing because you'll get to inspect and clean your oil pickup screen. See pics in my 351 build thread.
Perfect thanks!

Question on the timing, if I mark chain and put it back exactly where is was originally, is that good enough, so do I have to readjust timing?

Old 10-12-2015, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

The chain position does not change the timing, the locational position of the cam is the timing. It is better to put the crank at TDC then remove the head. Then put the crank back to TDC and reinstall the head.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Download the service manual and study the process of removing and installing the piston and cylinder. Take your time and keep things clean and it will be a simple task.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Take your time, make the work area very neat and clean. Bring in as much lightnings as you can. 1 minute cleaning before yields two minutes less build time. Get all the tools you'll need together in one place.

There are many excellent build threads here, as referenced above. Read through those.

Put the wrist pin in the freezer the day before you start the build. This will shrink it somewhat making it easier to install. You can also make a simple wrist pin install tool with a bolt and some big washers.

Preparation is really important.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks al! Got it mostly done before I had to quit to feed the kids

So with the block off plate on, obviously eliminates the one hose... Can the rest of the smog crap just be removed, or are there other things that have to be plugged/cut/etc

Last edited by Dash8; 10-12-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dash8
Thanks al! Got it mostly done before I had to quit to feed the kids

Stupid question, where does the damn block off plate go??
Above the exhaust port on the head.

Name:  IMG_6295.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  82.7 KB

Old 10-12-2015, 06:17 PM
1st Gear Member

You've got to plug anything that the Smog was connected to before, IIRC with the block off plate, it's 1 on the carb and 1 on the airbox.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Bah! All together. She turns over, hear the popping from exhaust, but no start. Wtf.

Any ideas folks?

Quick Reply: 351 install questions