2017 Beta 300 (2-smoke) is street legal ...!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 2017 Beta 300 (2-smoke) is street legal ...!

So,,, in my old PowerSports store, where I bought my FE650E, to get more air filters for it... They sell Beta's now.. Had 2 of the 300 2-smokes sittin there.. As per what I've heard in here, I says - " I heer sum o thos r street legal ?" He says " Dey all r!".. I says " No way dem 300 2-smokes are.." He says " Shur are, comes with inspection, plate, and proper title"... So I make him go over to em and show me - They got brake lights, horn, electric and kick start, oil injection system, DOT knobbies, and a rear plate mounting pad on the lil part that sticks down from the rear fender - all straight from the factory !!!!

I looked online at the Beta website - they do not list the 300's in their street legal lineup..

Only thing I know of that those 2 300's dint have that I think TX. requires is one rear view mirror..

WTF !!!

Old 11-19-2016, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Before I plunked down my $ I'd be sure to investigate that claim. Some states will apparently allow you to tag damn near anything but I have heard reports that it really depends on who is across the counter. Others have reported registrations have been revoked after the state runs the VIN and discovers what you are riding..........

Pays your money, takes your chances...........

Old 11-19-2016, 02:23 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Before I plunked down my $ I'd be sure to investigate that claim. Some states will apparently allow you to tag damn near anything but I have heard reports that it really depends on who is across the counter. Others have reported registrations have been revoked after the state runs the VIN and discovers what you are riding..........

Pays your money, takes your chances...........
Some truth here. Texas is a state where you can street legal just about any bike. One problem, however, can come when you try to insure some of these bikes. Most states now have requirements of proof of insurance for annual plate renewal and annual safety inspection. Lots of insurance companies won't recognize a bike that isn't OEM street legal in their registry. You can end up with a street legal bike that can't get insurance and therefore can't get an annual plate renewal or annual safety inspection...due to insurance, not equipment or title.

I'm not saying this applies to these Beta's, as I have no idea about their true title designations...just something to be absolutely sure of before jumping.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, my insurance wants a VIN number, even then there has been arguments - My brand new Ducati has ABS, their computer said it dint..

Sounds like a lot of potential pitfalls to suss out before committing..

It's still not fuel injected.. I don't know why they couldn't just stick a TBI unit on it in place of the carb and call it a day - they're already electronically injecting the oil... Triumph does it with their bikes - completely normal looking carb that's actually a TBI unit...

Last edited by Klxster; 11-19-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I have about 12 of those Beta 300 2-strokes in my group and they are all plated and legal. Both the 300rr and XTrainers. As well as the Husqvarna and KTM ring dingers. It's no big deal buying a mirror with a bar mount, or the clamp half for the brake and or clutch perch with the threaded 10mm mirror hole in it. Moose Racing has them for $9 bucks and looks factory. We don't have motorcycle inspection here in NJ, so no worries.

Last edited by Werloc; 11-19-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Trump says I can put a tag on anything and run it down the road as long as I have a green card and voter registration card.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Love my Beta Xtrainer. Best bike I have owned.
My friend that I ride with has a 300RR.

Yes they are street legal in Idaho. But Idaho is not very strict when it comes to this.
I did have to have the title changed from "Motorbike" to "Motorcycle". To do that all I had to do was fill out a form.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Beta 300 (2-smoke) is street legal ...!-xt-300rr.jpg  
Old 11-21-2016, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, I would an X-trainer. Seems like a modern KDX

Old 11-22-2016, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric B
Man, I would an X-trainer. Seems like a modern KDX
It is, I was going to get a KDX220 then I saw this bike.

Here is a video I took a few months ago, nothing very technical. The last trail was the first time on that one so we didn't know what to expect. I didn't get the best trails as I didn't get the GoPro until late in the year.

Last edited by cmott426; 11-22-2016 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I sold my KLX and now own a street legal KTM 300 EXC 2 stroke. It's a 2005. For whatever reason KTM, Beta and a lot of the European brands come with manufactures certificates of origin that allow them to be registered. They're pretty common here, even in Massachusetts, which isn't particularly known for it's easy going registry. Mine is insured and I ride it.

227 lbs without gas, 40+ hp and modern suspension. It's an 11 year old bike, but it's incredible.

Quick Reply: 2017 Beta 300 (2-smoke) is street legal ...!