2009 KLX250s Excessive Oil Around Filler Cap

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Default 2009 KLX250s Excessive Oil Around Filler Cap

Hello everyone!

I recently bought a 2009 KLX250s. I did a google search on forums for this bike and it seems like I've found the perfect place here. I'm new to this forum but did a search on my problem and couldn't find anything concerning my problem. So, here goes...

I've noticed ever since I bought it that there is an excessive amount of oil coming out from around the oil fill cap. At first I wasn't sure where it was coming from but after a thourough cleaning and a short ride, sure enough it was back. If I don't clean it after every ride, the oil ends up all over the entire side case and is a big mess! I bought the bike new, 0 miles, and havent done any mods what-so-ever. Anybody know how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you changed the oil yet? It sounds like there might be too much in there. I'd say do that first, and make sure you don't overfill.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Member

You can easily check the oil level by the sight glass on the right of the engine case. Just make sure you check it with the bike up right and not leaning on the kickstand.

Also, check the o-ring on the oil fill cap. It might be missing or damaged.

Welcome to the Kawasakiforums. We are all glad to help any body in need of advice.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 check the o-ring on the cap.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 PM
1st Gear Member

its normal. try a bigger o ring, or do like i do and just make sure you dont run low. ive never had a problem yet, with 13000+ miles.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:39 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
its normal. try a bigger o ring, or do like i do and just make sure you dont run low. ive never had a problem yet, with 13000+ miles.
That's what I'm beginning to think. In the few months I've owned my '06 model, I've seen a consistent film around the filler cap. It's not running, dripping, or even really wet, but there's enough to attract dust noticeably. The cap o-ring is pliable with no cracks or damage. I'm thinking a thicker o-ring might be the answer. I just did over 600 miles of heavy off road and pavement down in the Big Bend National Park area and didn't even use any oil, so I'm pretty sure that almost nothing is going out the cap area in my case. I also notice that the filler cap can be easily unscrewed at any time, while the ones on all my KLR 600/650's had to have a crescent wrench applied to extract the cap after it's been up to temp after removal. Maybe there's a tolerance issue in the manufacture of the cap/threads?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

funny you mention that tnc i had to use pliers or a cresent wrench on the filler cap on my klr 250. Huh

Old 12-18-2009, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
its normal...
It is? I've never had any oil seeping from my filler cap. In this day and age I don't think it should be acceptable for any oil to seeping from this engine at any point. I'd find a replacement for that o-ring.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

It's a pretty common problem there have been a few threads on this in the past. I noticed it on the first ride I took. On the 09's oil leaks from the valve cover are common too. For the filler cap the best solution is to just get a slightly thicker O-ring that takes care of it. Oh how times have changed my Kawasaki leaks oil and my Harley doesn't WTF.

Old 12-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep I squished an o-ring once putting it back together, did the dealer do a service on the bike? could have been that way from the factory. Oh and welcome to the forums. Stop by the New members area when you get a chance and give us a proper intro.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250s Excessive Oil Around Filler Cap