2009 KLX250 / KLX 250 EFI with mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Smile 2009 KLX250 / KLX 250 EFI with mods

Hi, Ive got a 2009 fuel injected / EFI KLX250 here in the UK and wanted to show what I have done since I bought it. First off I bought the bike to use pretty much 100% off road as an Enduro / Trails bike as I dont have a full UK motorcycle licence to use it on the roads. Here in the UK you are restricted to 125cc bikes on the road unless you take the full test and ride bigger bikes.

I dont know what its like doing the motorcycle test in the US and far east but here the test is getting harder and harder all the time so it would make sense to do it asap which Im hoping to do next year.

In the mean time Im using the KLX off road so in an attempt to make it a bit more 'off road' Ive been striping it of all non essential parts to make it lighter and will also fit aftermarket parts to increase performance.

The KLX is road legal out of the box so I took off all the parts that make it road legal, including the mirrors, tail lights/licence holder, horn, tool kit, passanger pegs, headlight etc to lose some weight. All the parts I have removed I weighed to see what I have saved. In total this shaved off 3.84kg.

Next it was the exhaust, I removed the rear silencer and heat shield, the silencer weighed in at 4.06kg and the heat shield 0.57kg, thats a combined weight of 4.63kg! Im in the process of buying an aftermarket silencer which will be a lot lighter and should only weigh about 2kg. As soon as I have it fitted and have some photos I'll up load them.

There seems to be a lack of performance parts for the EFI KLX250 unlike the US model which is carbeurated. I found a free mod here - http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/thr...9-efi-for-free that fools the ECU into using the full rev range in all gears because as stock the revs are limted to about 7k in the higher gears.

Other than an exhaust there isnt much else to do on the bike until a Power Commander is made for it but I think the mods I have done have definately made a difference in terms of power to weight ratio.

Interestingly, the users manual that came with the bike shows the performance figures for the Cat Restricted model and the non restricted Indonesia model so I think by changing the stock exhaust that has a Cat (to met UK road laws) to a non restricted one will see an increase of 2 PS as shown in the manual and you will notice that the rpm figures below show the max revs on the restricted model is 7,500 compared to 9,000.

I know I havent saved masses of weight on the bike but every little helps, with all the parts mentioned above removed it came to 8.47kg! Obviously I will see a drop in that when I refit an aftermarket silencer thats about 2kg, but a lose of about 6.5kg in the end makes a difference and I could definately feel it was lighter.

More to follow soon, who else here has a fuel injected KLX250 and what have you done to yours?

Thanks for reading.

Name:  Save0001.jpg
Views: 4027
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  Save0002.jpg
Views: 3962
Size:  50.9 KB

Last edited by kawy101; 05-04-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forum,

Ive got a few mods on both my 08-09 KLX250's EFI... & been having even more problems with them...

Have you had any cutting out with yours?.. If you look at the post I made: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=31106 Thats why im asking if yours has had the problems like quite a few UK bikes have been having..

Ive got a custom made exhaust system on both of mine, KDX200 snorkel's, acerbis handguards, one has a ricochet sump guard & I have a pair of Kawasaki supermoto rims to fit also..

I did an easy de-restrict on mine as Im so P1$$ed off with my cutting out, so I can full rev in every gear..

Ed.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Ed
Welcome to the forum,

Ive got a few mods on both my 08-09 KLX250's EFI... & been having even more problems with them...

Have you had any cutting out with yours?.. If you look at the post I made: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=31106 Thats why im asking if yours has had the problems like quite a few UK bikes have been having..

Ive got a custom made exhaust system on both of mine, KDX200 snorkel's, acerbis handguards, one has a ricochet sump guard & I have a pair of Kawasaki supermoto rims to fit also..

I did an easy de-restrict on mine as Im so P1$$ed off with my cutting out, so I can full rev in every gear..

Ed.
Hi Ed, I remember reading your other thread recently about it stalling. That is strange and unfortunately I havent been able to ride mine at all yet as I cant use it on the roads. I will hopefully be able to ride it off road very soon, if I find anything I will let you know. I have however had mine ticking over for quite a while whilst Im tinkering with it and it hasnt cut out then, Ive also riden it around the car park where I live so only about 20mph and there wasnt any problems there either.

It would be interesting to see if your bike still has the problem after fitting a Two Brothers Juice box or GPR Exhausts Extreme Multilevel to tweak the air/fuel mix. Understandably this is an expensive experiment and shudnt be required if Kawasaki had made the ECU's properly in the first place. Again, its very expensive but you can get a replacement non restricted ECU for the KLX250 on ebay at the moment.

Just curious, you have done the speedo/rev mod but you say that your speedo dosent work now, have you done the mod thats on the Thumper Talk link in my first post?

Any piccys of your bike?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kawy101
Hi Ed, I remember reading your other thread recently about it stalling. That is strange and unfortunately I havent been able to ride mine at all yet as I cant use it on the roads. I will hopefully be able to ride it off road very soon, if I find anything I will let you know. I have however had mine ticking over for quite a while whilst Im tinkering with it and it hasnt cut out then, Ive also riden it around the car park where I live so only about 20mph and there wasnt any problems there either.

It would be interesting to see if your bike still has the problem after fitting a Two Brothers Juice box or GPR Exhausts Extreme Multilevel to tweak the air/fuel mix. Understandably this is an expensive experiment and shudnt be required if Kawasaki had made the ECU's properly in the first place. Again, its very expensive but you can get a replacement non restricted ECU for the KLX250 on ebay at the moment.

Just curious, you have done the speedo/rev mod but you say that your speedo dosent work now, have you done the mod thats on the Thumper Talk link in my first post?

Any piccys of your bike?
Hi Again, mines does not cut out when you 1st start it & leave it idleing, it will normally try to cut out after the bike has warmed a bit & the auto choke has come off..

I think you have miss-read somewhere as my speedo works perfectly, all I get is the FI warning light coming on after 50mph (the fault code is: code 24) simply because the EFI module isnt getting speed signals when it knows the airflow & throttle are being used.

I never did the mod on TT as mines worked for me so easily, so didnt bother with the FI light coming on. As for buying another tuning box, I simply refuse to buy something when the bike should be working to start with, especially when thailand got the ECU replaced to cure the problems with cutting out.. The ECU on ebay is a derestricted one, but some people say it doesnt cure the cutting out, it can help stop it though.

Quite simply, I was one of the 1st in the UK with the New KLX250's, mines are 58 plate bikes, Ive got two of them & had to order them in as the dealer only had a demo bike & no stock of them.. & by the time I got them home & was using them (still running them in at this point) found they were cutting out, went back to the dealer & he said it was because they were tight engines & it would cure itself.. 2 years done the line & they still are cutting out hence my posts to find other people with the same problem.

Heres a few pics of mine:

Name:  090420101524.jpg
Views: 5416
Size:  149.5 KB
Name:  090420101525.jpg
Views: 11741
Size:  147.7 KB
Name:  15022009813-1.jpg
Views: 3830
Size:  188.8 KB
Name:  14022009811.jpg
Views: 3890
Size:  155.9 KB

Ed.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Ed
Hi Again, mines does not cut out when you 1st start it & leave it idleing, it will normally try to cut out after the bike has warmed a bit & the auto choke has come off..

I think you have miss-read somewhere as my speedo works perfectly, all I get is the FI warning light coming on after 50mph (the fault code is: code 24) simply because the EFI module isnt getting speed signals when it knows the airflow & throttle are being used.

I never did the mod on TT as mines worked for me so easily, so didnt bother with the FI light coming on. As for buying another tuning box, I simply refuse to buy something when the bike should be working to start with, especially when thailand got the ECU replaced to cure the problems with cutting out.. The ECU on ebay is a derestricted one, but some people say it doesnt cure the cutting out, it can help stop it though.

Quite simply, I was one of the 1st in the UK with the New KLX250's, mines are 58 plate bikes, Ive got two of them & had to order them in as the dealer only had a demo bike & no stock of them.. & by the time I got them home & was using them (still running them in at this point) found they were cutting out, went back to the dealer & he said it was because they were tight engines & it would cure itself.. 2 years done the line & they still are cutting out hence my posts to find other people with the same problem.

Heres a few pics of mine:

Ed.
Completely agree with you that Kawasaki should be issuing replacement ECU's and since I havent even ridden mine yet Im worried mine may suffer the same problem. Im not sure the manufacture date of mine, where on the bike wud it say or give me a clue?

Also, do you have the serial / ID number of your ECU unit, I'll check mine at the wknd and see if it may be the same batch as yours, if it is then I'll be joining your "we want a new ECU" petition to kawasaki.

Thats some nice off road countryside you have up there, I live in Hampshire and although we have the New Forest and the South Downs Way theres just no where were allowed to ride off road. Green Lanes are around but there are so few and most of them are pretty short. Ive had to research MX tracks/ enduro tracks I can go to when Im not working to have fun. I envy the US and other countries where they have so much open land and their rules of off road motorcycles are very different.

Oo, is that a skid plate I spy there? Ive been looking for one, where you get yours?

Cheers for the reply.

Last edited by kawy101; 05-06-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:20 PM

This week I got the exhaust I ordered but havent got round to fitting it yet. I found a couple piccys of it which are below. I have just weighed the exhaust in at 2.28kg which includes the muffler, link pipe to the header, holding bracket and the DB restrictor insert.

That means its just below half the weight of the OE silencer which weighed in at 4.63kg including the heat shield! Although I havent fitted it yet Im told you notice the weight reduction right away.

The exhaust is a TSUKIGI Racing Exhaust which I believe is a brand from Thailand and the labels on the muffler refer to the D Tracker so it seems some parts fit both the D Tracker and KLX bikes.

I'll update again when I have fitted the exhaust and heard the difference in the exhaust tone.

Also, after doing a little research I have found other exhausts for the KLX250 carbed and EFI models and their weights below, the TSUKIGI came in at the lightest!

OE Muffler + H/S - 4.63kg
Leovince - 3.40kg
GPR - 3.20kg
TSUKIGI - 2.28kg

Hope this helps anyone else looking to change their stock exhaust on the KLX250 EFI bike.

Name:  Bc7Fq7mkKGrHqMH-D0EqupSgbJBK2rZq3w_.jpg
Views: 4291
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  BfDtFPBmkKGrHqUOKjkErzobQBK1l1o5ig_.jpg
Views: 4696
Size:  41.9 KB

Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, the countryside you see in that picture is all forrestry roads, 60+ miles of them.. not including paths through the trees (KLX is to bulky for those, done all of them on my gasgas trials machine) & I do have full permisson to be on the paths as I have family that live in the forrest. Only problem with is the 40 mile ride to get to the forrest from my home!, so the bikes are riden there filled up when I get there & ride them home after a day of riding or I just throw them in the van. In the picture you will notice that the hills/mountains in the very background are covered in snow, think it was like 2 degress centigrade that day.

Yeah, its a ricochet sump guard ive got fitted, imported from the states, prefered it to the zeta one as it covers the whole of the lower frame & the waterpump etc.

Not been able to see the number on my ecu as working away from home at the minute, but will find out when I get back.

As for the exhaust you have now got, I couldnt get one of those when I got my 2 bikes as no-one made them yet, although my custom made exhausts only weigh about 1.5kg due to the size of mine.

Heres my custom made exhaust can & link pipe (you will have to excuse the mud/tar & dirt on it!)...

Name:  141220091340.jpg
Views: 5270
Size:  123.8 KB
Name:  141220091341.jpg
Views: 3927
Size:  93.5 KB
Name:  29062009999.jpg
Views: 3848
Size:  83.1 KB

Ed.

Last edited by Big-Ed; 05-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:03 AM

Ed,

How do you find the stock tyres when off road?

Old 05-19-2010, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

To be honest, I find the stock tyres are not the best off road, but they are a good compromise between road legal, long life & ok amounts of grip off road.. on wet roads I find they are not too bad..

I also lower the pressure in the front & rear tyres slightly (not enough to allow the tyre to slip on the rim or the rims to get damaged tho) as I find the tyres tend to bounce about quite a bit on the hard rough stoney paths, even when the suspension is set softer..

I used to ride gasgas trials bikes, so Im used to amazing grip & also I find the KLX just cant go the same places I could take the trials machine, even when it does have the grip... dont get me wrong, for trail riding its pretty good & it can go into wet & muddy places, just dont expect a MX level of performance..

Ed.

Old 09-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Default Cutting out issue solved

Hi I have a 2012 KLXs its my second one of these bikes my first one never cut out but one thing I noticed was the high idle rate it was just over 1500rpm when hot could of been a little higher. My new bike was idling around 900-1000rpm which sounded better but did cut out randomly when hot once I adjusted the idle speed to 1500-1600rpm when hot and it's never cut out since it's been fine for 600 miles. To fix the idle issue take the bike out get it upto normal temperature then reach into the right hand side of the frame near the air box and turn the wheel to adjust your idle and post up your results if this cured your issue so everyone can benifit hope this helps

Last edited by Graham877; 09-19-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 2009 KLX250 / KLX 250 EFI with mods