2 gal tank range?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Last tank, hit reserve at 80 miles. Around town riding, keeping the noise down.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Fill it up, ride for some time, maybe 70 miles or 100 km then fill it up again then figure the miles/kilometers per gallon. Do it a few times with random types of riding and you have a good idea of when to fill up. Everyone is a bit different, based on gearing and all. With stupid low 13/47 gearing I filled up around 100 miles But figure it out for yourself, our experiences could leave you walking... and cursing us!

Old 08-16-2015, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been playing with the idea of moving the rad overflow / reservoir to where airpump & smog junk was over the cylinder head. The extra room in the rear can then be used for an auxiliary fuel cell.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I found a Baker distance tank a few years ago and removed my overflow...still haven't found a good place to put it...so I've been running w/o.
I've only had a drop or two come out of the overflow line and that was when warming up the bike right after removing the bottle.
Found that stupid cap screw when I went to check the coolant level, it must be a lawyer device, coolant level was fine.
Maybe if you lived in the south, you'd need the overflow.
If I were to take off for the TAT or something, I'd add it back on just for insurance.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I dont trust the 100 miles per tank so I bought one of these on Amazon (RotopaX RX-1gallon gas pack) to carry on my luggage rack. It will only increase range one extra gallon but sure helps when in the woods.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Default stock

Originally Posted by MikeW
I can go around 70 miles until I hit the reserve (speedo calibrated) I think that may matter for those that claim 90 mpg
the very first tank brand new bike I hit reserve at 90 some miles but speedo is way off
Shortly after I calibrated it, which may be why I had such a severe drop in mpg because the odometer is now counting the correct mileage

so I had been filling up at 60 miles, everytime I run out its on the freeway and takes a while to find the reserve dial, and have it get the engine running again and thats a pain
so filling up at 60 miles prevents that from happening

I just bought an ims 3 gallon tank and im still on the first tankful at 95 miles
and have not hit the reserve yet
that $246 investment is well worth it im hoping I can break 100 miles before reserve
then I may drive it until it runs out to see how far I can really go

most weekends just running errands I would fill up 3 times would hate to see how much I had to fill if I drove it daily
so hopefully the larger tank will make it less frequent

keep in mind, this is my numbers from my stock bike,

with the exception of the jet kit. still good fuel mileage.

no gps, or aftermarket calibrated speedometer.

numbers are coming from the stock speedometer/(really the odometer) that came with the bike.

odometer gets reset every time I fill up.

if I flog it, high 80's before I flip it to reserve,

and I have ran out of gas before, but there is one stop on the way back home less than 5 miles from where I ride.

the numbers I am referencing are from the stock speedometer/ no gps gadgets.

your numbers may confuse someone with a stock set up. causing them to fill up more frequent.

this bike holds 2 gallons,

normally when I stop for fuel I'm just under and gallon and half to full again.

1.4623 gallons

If I had to use reserve its usually right at a gallon and a half 1.5 gallons.

I can go three days, without filling up, my trips are short though.

and before that I was filling up with fuel everyday, at 0.352 gallons, which is a waste of time.

perhaps the post should have read: what number does you odometer get to before you have to refill!

as you and others have mentioned/ and proved that the speedometer is not correct as it should be.

Last edited by KLX25O; 08-17-2015 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

some reason I thought I used to put in around 1.8? gallons
which if true that means I was really close to hitting reserve at around 60 miles when I would fill up
because I know ive been around 70 before when I hit the reserve

I was able to run my ims 3 gallon tank until it ran out of fuel this weekend, to get an idea of what to expect

half of the tank was freeway speeds, other half 40 mph or slower speeds
so its a good average of speeds I usually do

I hit reserve at 115 miles which is great
but I just started to hit a hill
I think if it was flat ground I probably could of went a little further

and totally run out of gas at 135 miles which was 20 miles on reserve flat ground

so I get an average of 45 mpg at least this 3 gallon fill up

so with the stock tank I would make sure to full up around 60 miles just so I dont hit the reserve accidentally depending on how I drive

Im thinking with the 3 gallon tank maybe fill up at 110 miles so I dont have to hit the reserve

so thats almost twice as far as before compared to the stock tank

Old 08-23-2015, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default reserve selector

Originally Posted by 2wheeler
Thans all for your input. I love this bike, what a beauty! I don't like to push the limits on the fuel range, as you know stalling out in an intersection can be deadly. Reserve can't help you then. I think 80 is the magic number, if you think other wise let me know.......remember this is the carbed version, EFI I think wouldn't be comparable.

I know now how far I can go on the odometer before turning the fuel selector to 'reserve'.

I used to leave it selected to 'on'

when I get close to my mileage for fueling I know I am almost out of gas,

but I just leave the selector to reserve, that way if it does run out of fuel from the top of the first half of the tank, I don't have to stop. the fuel selector is already on reserve.

it will go completely empty from the whole tank left on reserve,

just remember by your odometer when you need to fill up.

Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

It depends on how many times I fall over! Gas runs out of the carb pretty quick. Without falling over 100 to reserve.

I ran out of gas yesterday due to this very problem. I called my wife, luckily I was on a paved road at the time.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

It has been a while and I just figured out that if I wanted to do the math exactly here is my formula.

90 miles indicated on the trip meter divided by 1.3 gallons (roughly figured as indicated on the gas pump meter) equals to 69 miles a gallon for me last time I filled up with fuel. I run 87. Anyone else use anything besides 87 octane?

Quick Reply: 2 gal tank range?