'12 KLX250S Won't Start After Dynojet Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Default '12 KLX250S Won't Start After Dynojet Install

I am frustrated at this point... Yesterday I installed the 2152 Dynojet kit for my 2012 KLX250s. Put the bike back together and it won't start. I called Dynojet and he noted that nothing with their kit would affect whether the bike starts or not... meaning I screwed up somewhere in putting everything back in.

Fair enough... so I took everything apart again this morning and still no luck. Tried again this evening and same result. no start.

The electric start goes and goes, but the bike wont kick over. I got a new plug, checked to make sure the plug is making a spark.

On my last time I took the carb apart, I noticed a small hold in the diaphram next to the needle hole. I make sure the plastic cap for the needle did not block the hole. Also, I am not sure if the hole needs to be on the side of the engine or airbox, but put it towards the engine. Is that correct???

I checked to make sure I installed the correct main in the right location and turned the fuel mixture screw 3 turns out.

I live in Denver and got jet settings from Dynojet for 6,000-9,000SF. I have the snorkel removed on the bike and a DG O-series pipe.

They noted my settings should be #3 clip from top on the needle, DJ120 main jet and 3 turns out on the fuel mixture.

This process has lead me to either the diaphram/slide or float issue from my work putting it back together. Any and all advice would be well received. I am so burned out on taking the bike apart, but if I can get some advice, I'll do it again before giving up and going to the shop.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Make sure your slide moves up and down easily as that has been an issue for some folks in the past, as far as the hole I don't remember one but its been a few years since I had the top of my carb off.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member

When you replaced the main jet did you "just remove the stock main jet or did you remove the neddle jet holder (the item that the main jet is screwed into) ??
If you removed the needle-jet holder you could of dropped the needle jet with out knowing it. If you did not know that the needle jet had fallen out of the carb and you re-installed the needle jet holder and the new main jet the carb would not work in the end.

The other issue could be low fuel in the fuel tank. If you decided to do your jet change when the gas tank just happened to be ready to run out on the main and you had the fuel flow to run with the lever pointing down then you could of not been get fuel. Do you recall if when you took the carb apart the second time did you have to empty the fuel bowl with the screw on the bottom and do you recall fuel coming out when you removed the fuel bowl?? If you did not notice fuel when you took the carb apart the second time then you were not getting fuel for some reason.

If not sure about fuel flow you can disconnect the fuel line to the carb. Make sure the fuel is tuned off at the tank first and then put a cup or something to catch the fuel and then turn the fuel valve to see if fuel flows. If the fuel flowed into the cup reconnect the fuel line to the carb.

There is a small fuel filter that can get stuck in the fuel line when you remove the hose at the carb. It could be blocking the flow of fuel if not installed the right way.

If by chance you turned the idle speed adjuster screw when you took the carb apart it could be set to low for the bike to start.

Did you reconnect the hose to the carb that is part of the air suction system? It should start without it but would cause it to run like crap.

The slide can only go in one way and you noticed that the vent hole was not blacked by the white plastic spring/needle holder.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by linkin5
Make sure your slide moves up and down easily as that has been an issue for some folks in the past, as far as the hole I don't remember one but its been a few years since I had the top of my carb off.
It moves up and down pretty good. It got slightly stuck a few times, but I thought that was normal.

Old 05-29-2014, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you getting fuel? Kinked fuel line or stuck float? You problem is uncommon.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Squirt some starting fluid or gas through the air cleaner opening and see if it kicks over/starts briefly, if so it a fuel issue. If not you might have disconnected something causing you to not get spark.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by tkm433
When you replaced the main jet did you "just remove the stock main jet or did you remove the neddle jet holder (the item that the main jet is screwed into) ??
If you removed the needle-jet holder you could of dropped the needle jet with out knowing it. If you did not know that the needle jet had fallen out of the carb and you re-installed the needle jet holder and the new main jet the carb would not work in the end.

The other issue could be low fuel in the fuel tank. If you decided to do your jet change when the gas tank just happened to be ready to run out on the main and you had the fuel flow to run with the lever pointing down then you could of not been get fuel. Do you recall if when you took the carb apart the second time did you have to empty the fuel bowl with the screw on the bottom and do you recall fuel coming out when you removed the fuel bowl?? If you did not notice fuel when you took the carb apart the second time then you were not getting fuel for some reason.

If not sure about fuel flow you can disconnect the fuel line to the carb. Make sure the fuel is tuned off at the tank first and then put a cup or something to catch the fuel and then turn the fuel valve to see if fuel flows. If the fuel flowed into the cup reconnect the fuel line to the carb.

There is a small fuel filter that can get stuck in the fuel line when you remove the hose at the carb. It could be blocking the flow of fuel if not installed the right way.

If by chance you turned the idle speed adjuster screw when you took the carb apart it could be set to low for the bike to start.

Did you reconnect the hose to the carb that is part of the air suction system? It should start without it but would cause it to run like crap.

The slide can only go in one way and you noticed that the vent hole was not blacked by the white plastic spring/needle holder.
1. I only replaced the main jet.

2. Fuel is in the tank and sloshing around.

3. I did not notice a fuel filter, but when I opened the screw at the bottom of the carb fuel came out so I would guess fuel is getting there. Maybe not. I will look at this further.

4. Idle speed adjuster - I did not touch that when I took the bike apart, but did have to remove the throttle cables so maybe I messed that up somehow. I will check that this evening too.

5. The slide vent hole is not blocked, I made sure of that. Is the vent hole supposed to be next to the engine or airbox? I have it on the side of the engine. Can you confirm that is correct?

Unfortunately I am at work now, I'll make sure to check these things this evening. Thanks again.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Hugger
Squirt some starting fluid or gas through the air cleaner opening and see if it kicks over/starts briefly, if so it a fuel issue. If not you might have disconnected something causing you to not get spark.
I sprayed a bit of start fluid in the plug hole and tried it. nothing... Then I took off the air filter and sprayed it through the screen to the carb and nothing...

Old 05-29-2014, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Didn't read all the thread, but have you checked the kill button? I assume yes or you shouldn't have plug spark.

The slider vent goes towards the engine. IIRC, it only fits one way.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

When you unscrew the fuel bowl drain plug do you have fuel flowing out of the drain/overflow rubber tube?

Quick Reply: '12 KLX250S Won't Start After Dynojet Install