09+ Windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:32 AM
1st Gear Member

09+ Windscreen?-2011-10-28-10.25.03.jpg

09+ Windscreen?-2011-10-28-10.24.52.jpg

Its pretty tall. Thought about trimming it down. But it works.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Got a new helmet last night and it worked wonders for the highway. Don't think I'll be buying a windscreen anytime soon.

Thanks guys

Old 08-08-2013, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

details re new helmet? review of same? thanks

Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Its a cheapie, made by Bilt. The quality is fine but obviously its not made of premium materials like a more expensive one so I'm sure its a bit heavy in comparison. This is the second helmet I've ever owned and its a full face compared to my dirt bike with goggles set up. The exterior shell is ABS and the interior is expanded polystyrene.

First impression was the inside, the padding is a slightly softer density and its more of a perforated athletic material vs a more cotton type blend (not sure what it is) which should be nice to clean. Put the helmet on and noticed the sides come down a lot lower on the base of the skull/top of neck. Around the ears fit well and chin strap is in a good position. The front chin extension area is a pinch longer then my dirt helmet but the padding in this one extends forward nicely. The shape and size conforms to all areas of my head a lot better in this helmet as well. The wind screen has two positive positions, one locked own and one locked open. In between the "friction" seems to hold fine at all points for "fine tuning" the opening. We'll see how long the "friction zone" lasts from opening and closing a million times. The helmet also has this secondary "hidden" tinted visor that can be deployed if need. I'm sort of indifferent on that visor but its there so what the heck...the front area has a few grills and the air flow has a two position on or off clicker you can use to tune the flow. The rear of the helmet only has two exists and the top also has a on or off clicker with two openings. Honestly the air flow is so so...could be better but I'll have to chime in later after I get some more miles with it. All the vent clickers and the switch to deploy the tinted sun screen work fine with normal summer type leather gloves. Probably not the best but they work.

I'll post up some pics later but for 199 and currently half off at cycle gear I couldn't really go wrong and try it out. Came out to be less then 109 with tax for us California folks. I was eyeing the Fly Trekker and at 125 with free shipping from Rocky Mountain that would have been a done deal, I wouldn't have spent 199 on this helmet.

BILT - Explorer Adventure Helmet - Dual-Sport - Motocross Helmets - Off-Road - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I've noticed even with the front mouth vent open I still needed to slightly vent the face shield to prevent fogging this morning. I also noticed this helmet tends to track straight at higher speeds then get blown around more when you turn your head, not sure if thats typical of a full face helmet or not. I'm sure on the highway its not the quietest helmet but its way better then a dirt style one. I have noticed around 40 to 50 with wind noise and stock exhaust I can't hear my bike anymore when the face shield is down, lol. I have found one nice thing about the tinted secondary screen is I ride with that down and the clear one open so I get more air flow and can hear more around me. After the padding settles in I hope I have the choice to wear sun glasses but it was a bit snug the other day when I tried it. Here is a link to the other one I originally wanted.

Fly Racing Trekker Motorcycle Helmet | Riding Gear | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Old 05-04-2014, 11:49 PM
Default windscreen

I have a 2012 KLX250S. I have 4000 miles on it now. Most of my riding is on hardtop as they say in North Carolina. I live in central Florida. I needed a small windscreen so I purchased one from a KLR 650 from craigslist. I finally got around to installing it today. I made 2 brackets and drilled some holes and the darn thing looks purty good.

Attached Thumbnails 09+ Windscreen?-p1040071.jpg  

Last edited by RsoJim; 05-04-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-08-2014, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought an used windscreen for $25. It is MRA Germany. Good on the highway, but not at off-road since it's tinted and you do not see much in front of you, so it will go back into the box that came in with.

As for the helmet, i have the same one sold in EU as Nox. The only one difference is that mine has an air pump, which is cool. The interior tinted visor is fine as well as the padding. Worth the money even that has crappy visor, average ventilation and is a bit noisy. N731 | Nox Helmet

Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I own, and recommend you all own, two helmets. One full faced for road riding and one MX style for off-road. The full faced is clean, quiet, warm, and I believe safer than the MX version.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I never felt the need to put a windshield on my dirtbike.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I figured I'd update this thread since I finally gave in and bought a windscreen. I've been tossing around the idea for a long time and I finally caved and bought the Spitfire S06C for 67 bucks off Amazon Prime. I really would have liked to buy a TCI windscreen but at 2 bills plus shipping I was kind of hesitant, especially because I wasn't sure if I'd end up wanting to keep it on the bike. Anyway, Monday night I pulled the trigger and by today my junk arrived via brown santa. First things first I was surprised how small the box was, I opened it and found everything neatly packed and the hardware packet secured to the box so it can't rub the windscreen. The hardware kit is decent quality and it fits 7/8 and 1 inch bars. It even comes with the two allen keys required for installation. The screen is crystal clear and the edges are nicely rounded, the bottom also has a nice rubber trim piece to finish it off. Installation was a breeze, I swear this windshield was meant for the KLX!

I can't believe how much of a difference it makes. Around town it blocks almost all wind on your chest and shoulders. You do feel an increase of wind on your face, especially with your visor up. The freeway is amazing, I cruised 70 for a while and there is little increase in wind behind the screen, it feels like your putting around town still at 30-40 mph. I do get slight buffering on my shoulders and face so I might try and fine tune the angle of it. In all honesty its so minimal and the increase in freeway comfort is so much better I'm plenty happy if this is as good as it gets. The best part is the windscreen is easily removable with the two thumb screws and left at home or in the Jeep when I'm hitting dirt. I will say the biggest down side is now that I'm not getting beat up by the wind I notice how much the bike buzzes the foot pegs...haha! Can't wait to test it out on some long rides!

Quick Reply: 09+ Windscreen?