09 KLX250S and WR250R dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
I was trying to compare the F800gs (84hp@7500 with 61ft*lb @5750rpm) to the F650GS (70hp@7000 with 55ft*lb @4500rpm).
Yo Slap.....don't overlook a ktm 640 adv, it's more dirt orientated than the beamers and vibes on the highway....but the grin factor will make your cheeks sore offroad.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Good lord of course that's right Jason, but in 06 the wr did not exist..soooo here I am with a bored, piped and fcr carbed klx, could be worse thou.

If I were buying a 250 now....wr all the way, no question. Unless I wanted a dirt bike that was just street legal, then it would be ktm smoker.
haha, oh you crack me up mate.

No Brakes.. yeah I don't know anything the models in question, I'm just saying EFI as a concept in itself. I heard good things about the CR's new EFI.

Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Yeah, here's a rare occasion where we completely agree...scary huh?

I'd also add that the WR comes with a much better suspension and frame, so I think you get quite a bit more bike for the extra $1000.00.

For those among us who like to tour, the the WR's stator has close to twice the capacity of the KLX, so you can run heated gear to your heart's content.

Adding a big bore kit to the KLX will pretty much necessitate getting a more free flowing exhaust, so add those together and you have a few hundred dollars to play with at best. We haven't even touched the suspension yet.

I love my Kawi as much as the next guy, but I'm not gonna fool myself into thinking the KLX is better than the WR. If the WR were available 3 years ago, that's what I'd be riding right now...no question about it.
Yeah I even saw demo vids where they are running the WR on an MX track bone stock. I wouldn't dare do that with ours.

For those that have limited "flight time" on a bike, espeically with this thing. You have no idea how great it is to have a machine thats more designed for it. You think you need to be applying for a private pilot license just to start it. I cant say the WR is like that, but just from the looks of what it handles like it seems it. Not as good as the YZ, but better than the KLX

Last edited by JasonFMX; 04-26-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Torque is usually dropping off when peak HP is reached.
True.
That is because the efficiency of the motor is not linear.
The downward force on the piston varies and usually tapers off before peak hp is reached.
As long as the extra rpm more then compensates for the drop off in torque, HP continues to rise. You are applying a lesser force at a faster rate.
Once the torque falls off too much then so does HP and it's definitely time to shift.

I also prefer to short shift and stay in the torque curve rather the wring it's neck out going for peak power.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX

No Brakes.. yeah I don't know anything the models in question, I'm just saying EFI as a concept in itself. I heard good things about the CR's new EFI.
Yeah I just read that review recently so it was fresh in my mind, and that's my bike, even though I don't own one ... yet. Most are probably good, but the reports on the KLX's version of it are not so hot. Some even saying a carb was better, at least you could jet it. I'm sure they got it right on the KX-F, though. I wonder when the KLX450 will get it?

Old 04-26-2009, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
What??? Do I amuse you ..... like a Clown??

Old 04-26-2009, 12:54 PM
1st Gear Member

When I bought my bike in January, my choice was between the KLX and the WR. Money was not an issue (at the time!) as I had saved up enough to pay cash for either bike. I spent 9 months researching which bike I wanted and ultimately it was the KLX for me. I definitely like the EFI, that's what made the decision so difficult, but, the WR did not appeal to me in its aesthetics. If the KLX had come with EFI, the decision would have been much easier. Still, after having the KLX for 4 months, I am happy with my decision. I love the KLX and I am enjoying modding it, learning from it, and riding it. I can't say that I won't upgrade if Kawasaki makes the 2010 (U.S. Model) with EFI though!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Like I said before, that 3+ HP difference is utterly irrelevant unless you ride around banging the rev limiter... IDK where you ride, Jason, but everything around here is relatively tight so unless you put 13/51 sprockets on the WR you'd never be revving that hard. And I'd be willing to bet that most people don't ride around hanging 6-8k RPMs in the woods, where you really want the power. Not to mention you'd be doing valves alot more often than the intervals that Yamaha recommends. I'll take the lower, more USEABLE power of the KLX over that of the WR every day that ends in Y.

As for jetting, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I simply read up here and at TT, then followed the directions in the DynoJet kit. Got it right the first time. If you tried to be a cheapscape and buy Kehlin jets and the other needle... well.. you can't fault the bike or the carburetion setup for you trying to piece-meal (sp?) a jetkit together rather than drop 60 bucks on something put together for you and proven to work. Its not THAT hard to get to the carburetor, especially if you ditch the emissions hoses under the gas tank.

I guess if you just want to buy something and have it work, then maybe the WR was for you and not the KLX. I, like alot of people here, like to tinker and make things MINE by doing something to them other than buy and plug in a Power Commander.

Why do you still own the bike, if you don't mind me asking? You really badmouth it in almost every post you make. Why not trade it in and get the WR and be happy? I don't mean to sound like a jerk, and I apologize if it seems that way, but it gets kinda tiresome listening to you hack on this bike so much. It is what it is, to use a popular cliche.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

Read the Motorcyclist test of the two bikes. They say the Yamaha the winner, hands down. They also say that that Kwak is a great, fun bike and better at slow speed handling off road. Both Yamahas I owned blew cranks while in their first 1000 miles. No such drama with Morinis, Ducatis, Hondas, Guzzis or Kwaks that I have owned. Would I buy the Yam? No. I don't want to suppport a company that puts out stuff that fails, even if they improve later. That's just personal. The Klx is a gas to ride and seems bulletproof, with lots of potential for improvement as parts wear out and available aftermarket parts like tanks, seats, carbs, bore kits etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
1......Like I said before, that 3+ HP difference is utterly irrelevant unless you ride around banging the rev limiter...

2.....As for jetting, I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.......

3......Why do you still own the bike, if you don't mind me asking?.... .

1. So....like... an approx. 20% gain in HP is "utterly irrelevant"??? You must have a 600cc big bore kit in your bike to not consider such an extreme increase relevant.

2. Mountain out of a molehill??? Are you serious, guy? Ripping half of the god damn bike apart to jet this thing? Tinking with 3 basic jets, not mention screw adjustment when all you do with an EFI is plugging it in with a port on the bike for major adjustments and doing absolutely NOTHING for minor adjustments because it does them on its on???....sorry guy,..but anyone who says otherwise on this is making themselves feel better. Sure everything has pros and cons in life, but the pros on EFI vs Carb is no where in the ballpark.

3. No, I don't mind you asking at all. That is a perfectly legitimate question. Reason number 1 is $$$$$$$$$$. If I trade mine in or sell it, either way, I'm going to have to fork out $3500 to get a WR. As much as I would love to do that its kind of hard to part with that. Especially with the economy the way it is and being there are so much many more things to spend money on that I actually need to verse wanting to. I don't "need" a bike. There was a used DRZ 400 here at the local dealer, but it had higher miles on it and it was pretty scratched up. I know my bike is in fair shape, unless I find something that is a great deal...I'lll stick with mine. My dad did say he'd most likely buy mine off of me, so If I find a good deal on a WR or DRZ 400...or anything else equivalent....and I get the right price..its gone.

3.B.- As far as me badmouthing the bike. Yes I know its annoying to keep listening to that thats why a while ago I apologized for bad mouthing the bike so often in another post and I have laid off of doing so. I don't see where I boudmouthed the bike in this post at all. I was simply reinterpreting the presented information in this post. Compared to my normal rips on this bike and the things I said in this thread I would think that to be pretty aparant.

You sure your not the one in the bad mood today, mate?

Cheerio, peace out.

Last edited by JasonFMX; 04-27-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX250S and WR250R dyno results