09 klx250s Kick start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 09 klx250s Kick start

would really like to get the kick start for my 351 09. here in Newfoundland when its cold the electric start cant get the 351 going(makes sense).im assuming this is just due to the 351 + cold and not a bad battery.

anyways does the part # 99999-0073 fit the 09 model?
there may be some clearance issues with the footpeg?

thanks!

Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, that is the right kit that others have installed on the '09.
You will need to get the earlier right footpeg mount to get the clearance to kick through the full stroke The KLX is hard to start in cold weather period, not sure how much the kicker would help. I think it's more of a backup to start a warm engine.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 03-20-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i realize it would be hard haha, but atleast it would be possible.lol

Old 03-21-2014, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Good Morning,

I think I may be of assistance having installed a kick start on my 2009 351.

First I will give you the good news, the Kick Start part number you have is correct. You will need the 2007 KLX 250 foot peg mount for the kick start to clear. The installation was fairly straight forward, though the return spring can be a pain. Remember to test out the return function of the kicker before you put the side cover back on.

Now I will give you the bad news. The Kick Start (at least mine) will not solve your starting problems. The KLX 250 or 351 with the stock carb is hard to start in the cold no matter what. I live in Fairbanks, Alaska, I know these things haha. The only thing that really improved my starting at all temperatures was getting the TM-36 68 Pumper Carb. The bike now starts like my Ninja 1000 (EFI).

The Kick Start does work fantastically when the bike is warm, it just takes a while from sitting cold or really takes a while from outside sitting cold. Good luck in your cold weather endeavors.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

thanks Boglor!

i am first going to put in a 38 pilot and drill my choke/starter jet to .018"
hopefully this will let the electric start get her going and i could save some dollars

Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello again,

I of course rode the KLX 351 for a while with the Stock CV-34. I had my starter jet drilled to .18 as well as a 38 and 40 pilot. I found the 35 to be the best as far as my bike was concerned. It honestly never started like it should have though. It was always hesitant to start even after only a few days of sitting.

I also became tired of the battery going dead so I bought a Shorai Lithium replacement. I did not regret that purchase. It is light weight and provides many more cold cranking amps than the stock lead acid battery. It turns the starter on the bike noticeably better with the 351.

It is regularly below freezing and sometimes below 0 degrees F in the extremes of the riding season (March and October) when I am still starting the bike outside. Forget starting my bike with the stock CV-34 if it has been out over night anywhere below 32 F / 0 C before you kill the battery.

My last tidbit of information is to consider applying 25 Watt Heater pads with silicone to the oil pan and the back of the engine block in front of the starter. I have them applied in those locations and I also had a battery trickle charger mounted above the coolant overflow bottle for a time. The plugs go to a 3-1 adapter. I plug the bike in similar to my truck when it is cold. The bike is now winterized and starts much better when it has been plugged in. Of course with the TM-36 Carb it always starts, plugged in or not.

Sorry to be long winded, I have been fighting this cold weather vs. KLX battle for a few years now.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks again boglor
very informative, what is your altitude?

I would like the tm carb but the price has kept me away.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Start doing leg presses with only your left leg. Going to have to match the right from all that kicking.
As Boglor has stated, it is not easy starting in serious cold. Warming the engine is your only answer in real cold. I rode ALL of last winter. The coldest was -20ºF. Only by warming the engine could I ever reliably get it started.
However, I have almost gotten it started before killing the battery many times. Luckily, I live on top of a hill and most times can bump start it without having to roll it back up the hill to try again. For times like those, the kicker would have worked eventually...which I would choose over rolling the bike back up a steep hill, it's why I bought a kicker.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

And a KLX650R (not C)foot peg will work too.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

My thoughts exactly I know it would be difficult like you say but at least it is possible, no point in putting the 300+ dollars for the kick into somthing else cause if I cant start the bike it wont help much hah. Its just annoying when its cold and I want to go on bike only to drain the battery and go find a hill

Quick Reply: 09 klx250s Kick start