09 klx250s gear canceller

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 09 klx250s gear canceller

Hi all,

Have recently bought a trail tech vapor for my 09 and am now looking for a gear canceller. What is available out there?

I'm not sure if the zeta one will fit an 09 or if there any other options. Part numbers or links would be greatly appreciated. My google fu has failed me.

Open to other options, again, pictures or links would be most helpful.

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:53 AM
1st Gear Member

wot's a "gear canceller"???

Old 08-13-2016, 10:16 AM
1st Gear Member

i think he means gear counter?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

It's a spacer you put on your front hub to protect the bearings when you remove the factory speedometer gear drive. Here is a link to one I found but it's seems to be for an earlier model. http://http://www.wheelingcyclesuppl...-canceller/189

Old 08-13-2016, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I would look into a simple spacer the length of the speedo drive and a seal with the proper OD and ID to use it, but then again I am not looking at a hub so I am only suggesting this as a possible way to do it.

It would essentially be what is done on the brake side. The thing I don't know is if there is a machined surface inside the hub that can hold a seal. Seals can be had in any variety of ID, OD, and width sizes, all metric. I've bought seals from Fastenal for my hubs.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:03 PM
1st Gear Member

aha!

a speedo gear canceller..... those Zetas are really nice and Ti as well. shame they don't list the late model KLX. wonder what the differences to the earlier models are?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by griffo1962
aha!

a speedo gear canceller..... those Zetas are really nice and Ti as well. shame they don't list the late model KLX. wonder what the differences to the earlier models are?
Yeah I know, they look sweet. Does anyone know how different/compatible the hubs are?

Old 08-14-2016, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by griffo1962
aha!

The 09 went to an electronic drive instead of a gear/cable set up. Has different machining. The earlier model had mechanical drive and I think could be taken apart, gears removed, cable drive hole sealed, and run as normal.

I don't remember what the hub and drive are like on the 09, but if you had a junk drive you could cut off the cable, a dab of silicone and run it as a spacer.

I'd still take a look at the hub and if it has a good machined surface I'd have a local machine shop (or career tech school if they would do it) machine a a spacer to suit the seal and the length needed. Sizing of the spacer OD would depend on the size of seal able to be gotten... just like the set up on the other side and both sides of the rear hub. Machining wouldn't take long so cost wouldn't be too high.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
The 09 went to an electronic drive instead of a gear/cable set up. Has different machining. The earlier model had mechanical drive and I think could be taken apart, gears removed, cable drive hole sealed, and run as normal.

I don't remember what the hub and drive are like on the 09, but if you had a junk drive you could cut off the cable, a dab of silicone and run it as a spacer.

I'd still take a look at the hub and if it has a good machined surface I'd have a local machine shop (or career tech school if they would do it) machine a a spacer to suit the seal and the length needed. Sizing of the spacer OD would depend on the size of seal able to be gotten... just like the set up on the other side and both sides of the rear hub. Machining wouldn't take long so cost wouldn't be too high.
That answers the compatibility questions then.

I'm getting some work done as soon as all my parts arrive so sabotaging my drive and using it as a spacer is probably my most simple option.

My mechanical aptitude is minimal to be honest and was really hoping I could just purchase something manufactured. So I might just keep it dodgy until I upgrade the front end.

The later gen bikes definitely don't have the after market support the earlier ones do which sucks with a limited skill set. Appreciate the input as I can now stop trying to find something that doesn't exist. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

If you took the wheel with the axle and speedo drive to a local machine shop and explained that you wanted to replace it with a spacer and seal, odds are good the machinist would know what you wanted and it isn't hard to make one. It would just be finding the right seal to do the job from Fastenal or a bearing store. Electric shops may also be able to get seals too. It is about as simple a part as can be made. An ID, an OD, and a length.

Just letting you know it isn't a tough job for a machinist. Heck, I'm no machinist, but if I had access to a lathe I could make the part, it's that simple for machining work. That is why I mention it. For them it ain't rocket science so it wouldn't cost a fortune. Could be made of steel and painted where it would be exposed to the elements. It would be worth talking to someone, usually no cost for the discussion.

Quick Reply: 09 klx250s gear canceller