09 KLX250s Clunk when letting out clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 09 KLX250s Clunk when letting out clutch.

Ive got an 09 KLX250s with about 10k miles on her so far. It seems like when i am trying to take off smoothly and slowly I feel a clunk as I am letting out the clutch. This also seems to happen when the clutch is out and i am very low in the RPMs. After the clunk she runs great, no stumbling or other noises, its just in the low end that i ever hear it. It seems like it quiets down for a while after an oil change, but im not too sure. I will be changing the oil soon to check for any metal fragments. The bike is stock aside from a Krieger cam chain tensioner. Any ideas?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Me too. Never figured it out, kind of went away...its weird, almost like it catches on something and feels like you hit a rock with your bike doesnt it?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Me too. Never figured it out, kind of went away...its weird, almost like it catches on something and feels like you hit a rock with your bike doesnt it?
Exactly. It seems like it was there when i bought the thing 6k miles ago but i was fairly inexperienced and didn't notice it quite as much.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, I changed the oil today and it seems like it has grown a bit fainter but I can still feel it and hear it. It has me concerned because my only other bike (BMW R1100gs) had a transmission failure and I would like to not repeat that dreadful experience. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Old 01-18-2015, 03:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Is it the original clutch? I would doubt it has anything to do with the tranny itself, but if you are running the stock clutch, then the basket may be wearing out. I have not been into the clutch on my klx yet, just throwing out ideas. I don't know how long these clutches normally lasts on these bikes. My advise would be to take the clutch apart and take a look. If I'm wrong, the only cost will be oil, clutch cover gasket, and about 3 beers.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4vman1
Is it the original clutch? I would doubt it has anything to do with the tranny itself, but if you are running the stock clutch, then the basket may be wearing out. I have not been into the clutch on my klx yet, just throwing out ideas. I don't know how long these clutches normally lasts on these bikes. My advise would be to take the clutch apart and take a look. If I'm wrong, the only cost will be oil, clutch cover gasket, and about 3 beers.
I think you are on the correct path. I wouldnt be surprised if the clutch is wearing out considering my riding style. I think I will look into a clutch kit just to get it over with.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chay
I think you are on the correct path. I wouldnt be surprised if the clutch is wearing out considering my riding style. I think I will look into a clutch kit just to get it over with.
More often, the clutch will start slipping when the clutch plates are failing, but they can 'chatter' or grab as well. My son's KLX250s had the clutch fail (slipping), his had about 9,000KM (5400 miles). It was about $60 for the new clutch plates and a fairly easy job to do.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Personally, I think I'd take it apart before buying things. There is a decent chance that your plates are within spec but your springs are sacked out. I'm more concerned about the clutch basket being grooved, but usually that will make the bike drag when in gear and clutch pulled in. Also, be careful pulling your clutch cover off as you may not need to buy another gasket if the old one doesn't rip.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4vman1
Personally, I think I'd take it apart before buying things. There is a decent chance that your plates are within spec but your springs are sacked out. I'm more concerned about the clutch basket being grooved, but usually that will make the bike drag when in gear and clutch pulled in. Also, be careful pulling your clutch cover off as you may not need to buy another gasket if the old one doesn't rip.
If the basket is grooved is it difficult to replace? Ive been looking around and it seems like all i can find are the plates not any other parts, atleast not new anyways.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

No, the basket isn't hard to replace until you look at how much a new oem one costs. How you would check it is by taking out all the plates, and feeling the inside of the baskets fingers. Over time they can become grooved and this affects clutch action. Come to think of it, I don't think that would cause any kind of "thunk" when you let the clutch out. Does your clutch slip on it's own at all? Another thing I thought of, how loose is your drive chain. Even though first seem real low to me, the little klx sounds like it struggles to take off sometimes and sounds like I get a little chain slap.

Quick Reply: 09 KLX250s Clunk when letting out clutch.